Apple Hardware Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 18, 2017

3.5

93 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Two phone interviews and then got call for onsite. Onsite interview was grueling. Back to back 8 interviews, 45 minutes each. Surprisingly, no behavioral questions. Overall, I was not happy with the process and how HR treats candidates. Didn't accept the offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions were related to the job descriptions but you need to go into details to explain everything on white board.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY).

Interview

Interviewed for a co-op position. Very technical process throughout with a great deal of emphasis on candidate's abilities and interests. All interviewers were very proficient in going through the entire process.

Hardware Platform Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, after which I was called for an on-site interview. I separately talked to 8 different mostly senior engineers from various groups. In total it lasted for 6 hours. Since I am a PhD student, they mostly asked about my research, my specific papers, the tools I used etc. I was in general a pleasant interview experience.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about one interesting problem you encountered and how you solved it.   1 Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

the recruiter arranged two phone interviews after two weeks from applying one position online. 1st phone interview went ok with hiring manager, 2nd one with another technical people as well. they all asked technical question straightforward. However no feedback either from recruiter or interviewers, wrote an email to the recruiter, no any response at all

Interview Questions

• Give an example in your previous projects to demonstrate your professional expertise   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

An Apple employee referred for the position. A recruiter contacted me after that employee referral. After that, there were two interviews of forty five minutes each over phone. After that, they invited for full interview including lunch time interview. Interview questions included both technical and behavioral questions.

Haptic Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Eden Prairie, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

Recruiter found my resume and contacted me and set up an interview and Skype interview was performed. Actually initial interview was postponed and I had to do the 2nd interview schedule.

Interview Questions

• There are two "L" socks and two "R" socks in a basket, what is probability of picking both one L and one R together?   4 Answers
    • Where do you want to put strain gauge in the cantilever beam which is supported at one end and receiving force at the other end?   1 Answer
    • There is inductor, capacitor, and resistor. What is transfer function of Vout over Vin where Vout is at the inductor?   2 Answers
    • List all the possible solutions to make a hole in any metal. 2 minutes are given.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Lots of general questions of systems engineering. Questions spanned from analog electronics, optical engineering, sensing technology, image sensors, characterization. People who interviewed me seemed very prepared in their field, but were from a variety of specialties. Overall they were fair and nice, but I had the impression that they were looking for somebody who is expert/specialist on everything.

Interview Questions

• How would you remove cross-talk between channels in a CMOS image sensor?   1 Answer

Hardware Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

First a phone screen with HR, then a technical interview with the leader of a hardware group. It was a phone interview and he jumped right into technical questions without much chit chat.

Interview Questions

• They gave an example of a failed part and asked: When selecting a material what would you take into consideration more, tensile strength or yield strength?   4 Answers

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple in April 2016.

Interview

I was not prepared for the technical phone interview from Apple's "RF Guy" K.B., so once I got off the phone, I knew right away I answered 2-3 questions incorrectly. However, I hope this will help others applying for this position and get the well deserved on-site interview.

Interview Questions

• Make sure you know your Smith Chart basics & fundamentals!   Answer Question
    • What is LO phase noise? Which parameter(s) does it affect/degrade? How do you fix/improve LO phase noise?   Answer Question
    • What is EVM? How do you improve EVM on a transmitter circuit?   Answer Question
    • What is noise figure? How does NF affect reciever sensitivity?   Answer Question
    • Can you design a BPF with just a single inductor and capacitor? How?   1 Answer
    • What is the impedance of a 10nH inductor at 1GHz?   1 Answer

Hardware Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

This interview has two part: phone interview and onsite interview. For the phone interview, I was asked to talk about my projects. And he also asked me some questions about inheritance and linkedlists. They asked me some basic question about verilog and C++ for onsite interview. Onsite interview included four persons.