Apple Projects Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 23, 2017

3.1

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Reached out recruiter and had a couple phone interviews with the HR group. Nothing too complex or out of ordinary. Unfortunately recruiter knew little about the specifics and provided me very little about the position other than that I would be a project manager for a platform upgrade. Then a couple days later I got a response from recruiter indicating that the Apple hiring manager liked what they saw and wanted to schedule a face to face.

My experience may be unique but I found the overall interview to be a bit like an interrogation and more of me selling myself to the company rather than the other way around. It was no very personal, the people I spoke with talked very little about their backgrounds and seemed reluctant to talk about anything not directly related to the position such as company culture, growth opportunities, etc. I was given alot of single sentence answers and it was clear that they didn't plan to talk on those topics much. Which was very odd and not something I had experienced before with other big name firms. Most are very eager to jump into those types of topics and sell candidates on why they should work there.

It was pouring rain so I showed up 15 minutes early to the interview and let the hiring manager know. A couple minutes later I met the hiring manager, I was signed into their system which took a while due to some issues with the iMac. A few minutes later the issues were resolved and I was signed in. Upon opening the front security door, the hiring manager without explanation or heads up proceeds to full on sprint to her office on the other side of building. I'm trying to follow her while avoiding collisions with other employees walking in the narrow hallway and slipping on the floor due to damp shoes from the rain. I manage to find her office despite her being 15-20 yards ahead of me the entire time. At this point I'm a very confused and not sure if this is one of those new behavioral tests tech companies are trying to implement. The manager tells me to wait in her office where there's already another Apple employee there and the official interview begins.

The question were pretty standard background and experience questions. I found alot of my responses were followed up with condescending remarks or one up statements from her own personal experiences. For instance I explained a 4 month period which I had difficulty finding work due to being laid off and took side jobs to make ends meets which I excluded from my resume due to them being unrelated to the role. She then proceeds to say that that particular year wasn't great economically but not as bad as when she was trying to find work right out of college and then eludes that I was trying very hard to find work. Again not sure if this person is rude or just part of a behavioral test. I try not to let it phase me and just keep going on but through out the interview the condescending remarks continued. The other person in the interview just sat there and didn't really contribute much or ask questions besides the math problem at the very end. Overall it was not a very comfortable interview to be in and didn't give me a very good impression of Apple or it's employees. I was not offered the position but even if I was offered it, I am unsure if I would have taken since I would have had to work directly under this person.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why Apple?
      Q: What frustrates you?
      Q: What makes a good project manager? Why are you a good fit for this position?
      Q: What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Q: How technical are you, from a scale of 1-10?
      Q: How comfortable are you in Excel, from a scale of 1-10?
      Q: A work resource, is available 8 hours a day, for two weeks (assuming 5 days per week) and their allocation is 30%, how many hours are they allocated for the project. (Answer: 24 hours)
      1 Answer

Software Engineer (Special Projects Group) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for a software position in the Special Projects Group, which is run like a start up within Apple.

Overall it was a reasonable interview process. Fairly different from the other top tech companies, which concentrate mainly on Algorithm problems. It consisted of the following:

- Phone interview covering basics of C++ and other languages, other common software questions
    - On site interview with 5 interviews covering algorithms, software version control, design patterns, in depth questions concerning area of expertise, behavioral questions and other resume based questions.

Everyone was friendly overall, and seemed very strong technically. I enjoyed working with recruiter as well. They had a very flat company culture, and it seemed liked a very exciting position. My C++ skills were not strong enough, and I was told that was the main reason I did not get an offer. This is understandable as I have very little industry C++ experience.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by Apple after their recruiter saw my profile on LinkedIn. The recruiter informed me of a position that I may be a match. I sent my most resume to the recruiter to pass along to the hiring manager. I was contacted a couple of weeks later and a phone interview was arranged. I was sent some non-disclosure forms and permissions to perform a background check. The project is a new product with a lot of secrecy surrounding it. I understanding that is standard for each new product release. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. The hiring manager indicated there were several items in my resume that were of interest to her. We discussed at a high level the jobs that were available and she determined from my more detailed description of my experiences which positions should thought would be a fit. She said she wanted to discuss my resume and her thoughts with her director and she would get back to me.

After about 5 weeks, I received an email from the recruiter indicating they were interesting in have me come in for a day-long interview. She gave me a short description of the interview process, a key being a technical presentation I was to make to some of the staff. It could be a topic of my choosing, to last up to 30 minutes. I arrived at Apple and was met by the recruiter who described how my day was laid out. I met with 9 interviewers of varying levels of influence and experience, for about 30 minutes each. The questions ranged from discussing my roles in various projects I worked on, interaction with project team members and customers, how I dealt with various stressful situations and my philosophies on project management methodologies. Technical questions about various tools were asked but not in very great detail. I was able to ask the interview team any questions not specific to the project for which I was interviewing. Lunch was provided and I was joined by one of my interviewers so that we could also spend part of that time interviewing. After lunch was my presentation. Three of my interviewers attended and occasionally asked questions about different aspects of the project I chose to speak about.

The process was not as intimidating as I expected. The interviewers were engaging and I felt at ease during the process. After the interview, I waited almost 2 months before receiving notification that I did not get the position. They were looking for someone with a different skillset. I asked for feedback on my interview (nothing project specific), but was told because of the secret nature of project they could not give me any additional feedback. That was a bit disappointing, since I did not get any negative indication during the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you put in place testing for a product that might cause personal injury to the user?   3 Answers

Project Specialist - IPhone Product Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through university job site. Got a contact from the HR team. Had a 30min phone interview with one of the team member but didn't make it to the 2nd round. The person was very kind and went slow with the process but I guess I did not fit well into their team. Still a dream job :p

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Super nice people. They want to know about you and your personality and if you will fit before moving on to technical questions. Pretty interesting interview. The manager calls you in talks to you about the role asks some questions and gives you the opportunity to ask questions. No discussion of products.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle fitting in in the first 90 days.   1 Answer

EPM Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Tempe, AZ) in October 2015.

Interview

First interview was with the department manager, the second interview was with director and third was with a panel. The first interview was mostly about my project management skills, the second interview was about relating my experience with the methodologies as described in the PMBOK. The panel interview was mostly technical questions about Apple products.

Interview Questions

• How do you track your projects? How do you develop a Project Charter?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone call, hiring manager seemed like she was very busy and was late to the actual call. She was informal and didn't seem too interested in filling the position.

Project Manager Interview

Interview

Applied to several postings online, and never heard back from any of them. Went to a career fair, spoke to several recruiters and actually got a phone call from one. We talked about procurement and I mentioned that I was definitely interested. She said she would send my information over to the hiring managers and again, never heard anything back..

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview and was called in for an onsite interview. Interviewed with 6 people in one day and was mainly asked about experience on Project Managment. Most of the interviewees had the same questions so made sure the answers were consistent.

Application

Interview

Passed 2 phone interviews, invited for a 6-hour onsite interview. Nothing out of the ordinary for a project manager questions, mostly situational questions. Some of the interviewer seems to be trying to "break" you with ridiculous questions that has nothing to do with project management