Apple Projects Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

81 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Special Projects Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Oddly enough, the VP reached out to me on linkedin to initiate. We waited around 15 days after the email to have a phone screen to which he was considerably late to. Then we waited around 2 more weeks with lots of emails for an "exploratory" conversations with 2 others. And then I would have had to have waited longer had I not had the balls to email them myself and ask whats up, and a day later I got a legal "I don't have a role for you."

My Feedback on what happened:
    I came to the building 30 mins early to ensure I was there ontime, no traffic etc. It was 100F outside as it's been incredibly hot in the bay area this week. There was nobody outside waiting , no receptionist, no security nothing. I knocked on the door and first this engineer shows up and has no idea what to do. Then I took a walk along the back side of the building and found the security guards smoking outside when they're supposed to be outside the building watching it. Finally i sit in this tanbark outside the building waiting around, and time comes up and the receptionist walks in for lunch . With respect, for a company with $280B in cash, why not hire another receptionist to take over during lunch? For situations like this, the right thing to do is hire another cover, have her be there, let me in give me water and make sure i'm comfortable. It's called hospitality. This gets better. The 2nd interviewer was supposedly a very senior leader in the company, due to Glassdoor's policies I can't say much except she's in the EPM industry and focused on HW. She was insanely rude, curt, and actually asked me unprofessionally "so whats your exit strategy?". I get that folks are supposed to be hard here, and want to ensure you're a fit, and frankly probably have chips on their shoulders, but with respect demeaning and condescending somebody is frankly outright, and for Apple thats just not necessary. So after 40 mins of hearing this incredibly purtued and inexcusable person, the VP walks in yet again 40 mins late. To be entirely fair, i really liked the first interviewer and the VP... they were humble, took time to get to know me, and really give me a fair chance. But leading up to this point - I knew afterwards this wasn't going to work. Oh btw, the recruiter also went on vacation in between, had a pretty botchy transition to his manager to take over, and nobody knew what was happening. After the interview, this had been 3 weeks to this point, I was getting irritated. So I went a very professional but strong email to everybody and finally received the usual legal "I don't have anything for you.". In the end - I leave this review with a bad taste in my mouth for this group, the professionalism, and unfortunately the silly things like not offering somebody water, or asking if they have to use the restroom, since when did Apple become Uber? And since when did people forget its the PEOPLE That make products. I wondered about writing this review, but I realized that so many around the world are killing themselves in schools and work to get these opportunities, and for companies to take advantage of that is not appropriate at all. So i hope somebody in Apple HR realizes that we're human too, and while these interviews are out of their control, there still is this thing called courtesy.

Interview Questions

• How do you interface and influence with multiple stakeholders to drive a project forward?   1 Answer

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

Interviewed with Apple recruiter first which was relatively brief and covered basic skills. Then he arranged a phone interview with a hiring manager which took about 30 minutes on the phone.

Localization Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

1Phone interview with HR recruiter
    2 phone interviews
    Onsite interview with 8 people

I had several interviews for Apple positions. The first interview with HR were always unreliable. They don't tell you when the hiring manager will call you. Or the hiring manager would call 1 hour earlier than expected time.

Even though I love some of Apple products, I am not impressed with how Apple treated candidates.

Interview Questions

• Why are you interested in this position?   1 Answer

Senior Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Reached out recruiter and had a couple phone interviews with the HR group. Nothing too complex or out of ordinary. Unfortunately recruiter knew little about the specifics and provided me very little about the position other than that I would be a project manager for a platform upgrade. Then a couple days later I got a response from recruiter indicating that the Apple hiring manager liked what they saw and wanted to schedule a face to face.

My experience may be unique but I found the overall interview to be a bit like an interrogation and more of me selling myself to the company rather than the other way around. It was no very personal, the people I spoke with talked very little about their backgrounds and seemed reluctant to talk about anything not directly related to the position such as company culture, growth opportunities, etc. I was given alot of single sentence answers and it was clear that they didn't plan to talk on those topics much. Which was very odd and not something I had experienced before with other big name firms. Most are very eager to jump into those types of topics and sell candidates on why they should work there.

It was pouring rain so I showed up 15 minutes early to the interview and let the hiring manager know. A couple minutes later I met the hiring manager, I was signed into their system which took a while due to some issues with the iMac. A few minutes later the issues were resolved and I was signed in. Upon opening the front security door, the hiring manager without explanation or heads up proceeds to full on sprint to her office on the other side of building. I'm trying to follow her while avoiding collisions with other employees walking in the narrow hallway and slipping on the floor due to damp shoes from the rain. I manage to find her office despite her being 15-20 yards ahead of me the entire time. At this point I'm a very confused and not sure if this is one of those new behavioral tests tech companies are trying to implement. The manager tells me to wait in her office where there's already another Apple employee there and the official interview begins.

The question were pretty standard background and experience questions. I found alot of my responses were followed up with condescending remarks or one up statements from her own personal experiences. For instance I explained a 4 month period which I had difficulty finding work due to being laid off and took side jobs to make ends meets which I excluded from my resume due to them being unrelated to the role. She then proceeds to say that that particular year wasn't great economically but not as bad as when she was trying to find work right out of college and then eludes that I was trying very hard to find work. Again not sure if this person is rude or just part of a behavioral test. I try not to let it phase me and just keep going on but through out the interview the condescending remarks continued. The other person in the interview just sat there and didn't really contribute much or ask questions besides the math problem at the very end. Overall it was not a very comfortable interview to be in and didn't give me a very good impression of Apple or it's employees. I was not offered the position but even if I was offered it, I am unsure if I would have taken since I would have had to work directly under this person.

Interview Questions

• Q: Why Apple?
      Q: What frustrates you?
      Q: What makes a good project manager? Why are you a good fit for this position?
      Q: What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      Q: How technical are you, from a scale of 1-10?
      Q: How comfortable are you in Excel, from a scale of 1-10?
      Q: A work resource, is available 8 hours a day, for two weeks (assuming 5 days per week) and their allocation is 30%, how many hours are they allocated for the project. (Answer: 24 hours)   1 Answer

Software Engineer (Special Projects Group) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for a software position in the Special Projects Group, which is run like a start up within Apple.

Overall it was a reasonable interview process. Fairly different from the other top tech companies, which concentrate mainly on Algorithm problems. It consisted of the following:

- Phone interview covering basics of C++ and other languages, other common software questions
    - On site interview with 5 interviews covering algorithms, software version control, design patterns, in depth questions concerning area of expertise, behavioral questions and other resume based questions.

Everyone was friendly overall, and seemed very strong technically. I enjoyed working with recruiter as well. They had a very flat company culture, and it seemed liked a very exciting position. My C++ skills were not strong enough, and I was told that was the main reason I did not get an offer. This is understandable as I have very little industry C++ experience.

Engineering Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by Apple after their recruiter saw my profile on LinkedIn. The recruiter informed me of a position that I may be a match. I sent my most resume to the recruiter to pass along to the hiring manager. I was contacted a couple of weeks later and a phone interview was arranged. I was sent some non-disclosure forms and permissions to perform a background check. The project is a new product with a lot of secrecy surrounding it. I understanding that is standard for each new product release. The phone interview lasted about 30 minutes. The hiring manager indicated there were several items in my resume that were of interest to her. We discussed at a high level the jobs that were available and she determined from my more detailed description of my experiences which positions should thought would be a fit. She said she wanted to discuss my resume and her thoughts with her director and she would get back to me.

After about 5 weeks, I received an email from the recruiter indicating they were interesting in have me come in for a day-long interview. She gave me a short description of the interview process, a key being a technical presentation I was to make to some of the staff. It could be a topic of my choosing, to last up to 30 minutes. I arrived at Apple and was met by the recruiter who described how my day was laid out. I met with 9 interviewers of varying levels of influence and experience, for about 30 minutes each. The questions ranged from discussing my roles in various projects I worked on, interaction with project team members and customers, how I dealt with various stressful situations and my philosophies on project management methodologies. Technical questions about various tools were asked but not in very great detail. I was able to ask the interview team any questions not specific to the project for which I was interviewing. Lunch was provided and I was joined by one of my interviewers so that we could also spend part of that time interviewing. After lunch was my presentation. Three of my interviewers attended and occasionally asked questions about different aspects of the project I chose to speak about.

The process was not as intimidating as I expected. The interviewers were engaging and I felt at ease during the process. After the interview, I waited almost 2 months before receiving notification that I did not get the position. They were looking for someone with a different skillset. I asked for feedback on my interview (nothing project specific), but was told because of the secret nature of project they could not give me any additional feedback. That was a bit disappointing, since I did not get any negative indication during the process.

Interview Questions

• How do you put in place testing for a product that might cause personal injury to the user?   3 Answers

Project Specialist - IPhone Product Operations Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Applied through university job site. Got a contact from the HR team. Had a 30min phone interview with one of the team member but didn't make it to the 2nd round. The person was very kind and went slow with the process but I guess I did not fit well into their team. Still a dream job :p

Engineering Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

Super nice people. They want to know about you and your personality and if you will fit before moving on to technical questions. Pretty interesting interview. The manager calls you in talks to you about the role asks some questions and gives you the opportunity to ask questions. No discussion of products.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle fitting in in the first 90 days.   1 Answer

EPM Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Tempe, AZ) in October 2015.

Interview

First interview was with the department manager, the second interview was with director and third was with a panel. The first interview was mostly about my project management skills, the second interview was about relating my experience with the methodologies as described in the PMBOK. The panel interview was mostly technical questions about Apple products.

Interview Questions

• How do you track your projects? How do you develop a Project Charter?   Answer Question

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Austin, TX) in October 2015.

Interview

30 minute phone call, hiring manager seemed like she was very busy and was late to the actual call. She was informal and didn't seem too interested in filling the position.