Apple Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Apple

7,027 Interview Reviews

Sort:

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2011.

Interview

I got an email with a recruiter at Apple for an opportunity with one of the engineering teams at Apple. I was very excited about this and quickly scheduled a phone interview.

My first phone interview was about 45 minutes in length and it involved questions about my current work and experience. Basically technology I have worked with as well as some minor CS questions. If you know basic CS, you can breeze through this.

With that done, I received another email about another round of phone interview which was about 30 minutes long. This drilled into my critical thinking and general problem solving abilities. Wasn't too bad either.

After this, I got an email from the recruiter that they were interested in flying me over for an onsite interview.

I met with 8 different people with different mixes of 1:1 and 2:1 interviews each lasting about 45 minutes to last a total of almost 5 hours.

I got some questions about Fibonacci series, linked list (delete the nth node), improving certain aspect of a system (can't say more on this). Generally, it was a pleasant interview experience, and if I hadn't gotten the offer, the experience alone was enough.

Interview Questions

• Define a class for a linked list and write a method to delete the nth node.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I wasn't able to negotiate, however since I had another offer from a well-respected company, Apple matched this offer right off the bat even though I was told an initial base salary lower than what they offered.

The lesson here is that it is always good to seek multiple opportunities and have another offer in play.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

Applied through Apple website, got a call from an Apple Recruiter.
    I was asked to be present for a half day interview session, when I reached there I found there were 5 other candidates along with me. The recruiter took all of us to a conference room where other interview panel members were waiting for us. We were given a short presentation of Apple as a company and the team in general for which we were being interviewed. Then each person took one of us to an interview room. They used to ask questions for around half an hour and then the interviewer changed to some other person. I gave interview to 3 different person

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2010.

Interview

Went very well on the phone but onsite it was a different story. A few affable folks but what a disorganized interview. The manager clearly spent no time divvying up topics, so I sat through six hours of the same damned questions over and over. A couple of guys clearly didn't want to be there at all. The manager was burned out, kind of listless, I'm not surprised - my connections confirmed the sweatshop atmosphere.

Interview Questions

• I don't remember the exact questions but they weren't very hard.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

They give tow rounds of phone interview. First round is with the manager and the second round is with an engineer in the team. The question is algorithmic in nature. The interview process is also friendly. The people in the company are smart and they generally work hard. The company culture is also nice and encourages good ideas on products.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Original questions, not the usual off-the-shelf stuff. One interviewer even acknowledged that it made no sense for me to remember every obscure detail of a data structure, he was happy with me recognizing what the correct data structure for the task at hand was and explaining why
    Lots of problem solving: "we have this issue how would you tackle it?" questions, and the discussion was along the lines "I would do this" - "Do you know the performance implications? Complexity in time and space". I believe this was good: the interviewer was focusing on my skills as a programmer/designer of my own code rather than a walking algorithm reference book

Interview Questions

• What would you want to do in 5 years from now?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I was given more than I hoped for and wanted. I simply said "yes".
    Do not expect wide margins for negotiation anyway. Company culture acknowledges working at Apple as a privilege in itself.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2011.

Interview

I was phone interviewed by two different groups. The questions are very general and not difficult, but their recruiters suck. They never replied your email and telling you the results. Also the engineers are arrogant and they do not respect others.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2011.

Interview

Phone interviews were standard fare: programming puzzles, algorithms, etc -- nothing out of the ordinary. The onsite interview was a much different story. Everyone was fairly rude and condescending. The general sentiment was: "Apple embodies greatness. You should be very happy that we've deigned to grant you a small part of our time."

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between a class, an abstract class, and an interface?   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Got an initial call from the recruiter through employee referral. Recruiter asked standard questions like what am I interested in, what my other options were and whether I was interviewing with other companies. He then asked me suitable dates for an initial phone screen interview with one of their managers.

Once the phone screen was over, recruiter got back to me saying they would like to invite me over to Apple campus for further on site interviews. I gave him a few dates I was available at and recruiter scheduled 4 interviews with team members I was going to work with if I was hired. The designation of interviewers ranged from peers to potential manager to department VP.

All were half hour interviews. People seemed really excited about being at Apple and working for one of the most successful company in the world. They all were very friendly and nice to talk to. Apple cupertino campus is beautiful. There is a lot of diversity at Apple. On the top of this, they all seemed really stressed out with work. The perception I got was that work environment is really hectic at Apple.

Interview Questions

• Describe oen of the most exciting projects you have worked on. Then questions related to what I described.   Answer Question
    • What are design patterns, describe a couple of them.   Answer Question
    • How comfortable are you in picking up and learning a new language   Answer Question
    • Have you ever been in a stressful position at work and how did you handle that   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to join Apple and what will you miss at your current work if Apple hired you.   1 Answer

Negotiation

If possible, carry multiple offers and then negotiate. Apple was a little reserved in terms of negotiation but it totally depends on how your interview went, how much room they have to modify the offer for the position they interviewed you for and how much they like you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2011.

Interview

Approached by recruiter after submitting resume online. Had a phone call with a manager followed by 2 back to back video interviews consisting of questions about my past work, and a couple of programming assignments at the end. Questions were strictly technical and focused on relevant experience only, skipping over those which didn't apply to the position I was interviewing for. Feedback was good and I was invited for on-site interviews. Surprisingly just a week later I was told they hired someone else and the interview stands canceled. I was very disappointed. I wouldn't say the experience was negative, as the interviewers and my recruiter were friendly and to-the-point. Recruiter still assured me they're looking for other open positions but nothing worked out and I gave up after 2 months.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

Full day of interviews consisting of five 1:1 technical discussions. Every interviewer was very sharp and well prepared. Each had reviewed my resume and knew my background. Each had prepared questions about my past work as well as some things they were going to test me on. Overall very positive.

Interview Questions

• Parallelize a presented segment of code using PThread primatives, being sure to highlight concerns with resource conflicts, order dependencies, and deadlock conditions.   Answer Question