Apple Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Apple

6,881 Interview Reviews

Sort:

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

I had two phone interviews, both focused on solving programming problems

Interview Questions

• Write a recursive function to determine prime number   7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2011.

Interview

HR/Manager interview went well, in person. Had phone technical interview where guy was asking obscure database terminology about implementations done 5 years ago.

Interview Questions

• What database applications have you implemented in the past?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2009.

Interview

Interview was standard. Team was extremely nice and they did warn ahead of time that I do not show up in a suit. Enviornment was on par with Apple's retail store.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

Interview wasn't hard. Easy person to talk to.
    First asked me general questions like why do you want to work at Apple? Whats your favorite Apple product? Describe a situation in which you failed and how you handled it.
    Then he asked me a few questions about Git.

Overall I thought the interview went fine but didn't end up getting it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

General computer science questions. Included things about command line, data structures, basics C/c++ terminology.

Interview Questions

• How do you change permissions of a file from the terminal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I had three interviews, the first one was to see if knew basic Objective-C and to hear a little about my background. The second interview was with my future mentor, he asked me about my views of Apple and some technical Objective-C/iOS dev questions. My future mentor then had a entry level engineer interview me to verify that I knew as much about iOS dev as i claimed to know.
    About a week after my last interview I received an email stating I got the position.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I did not attempt to negotiate, the offer was way higher than what I expected.
    Advice: If you are lucky enough to get the opportunity to intern at Apple take it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2010.

Interview

had a phone screen and group phone interview. it was cake. had to answer a couple questions about C, javascript, jquery, python. very smooth.

Interview Questions

• How would you diagnose a buffer overflow?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Apple found me through LinkedIn and contacted me for a position. I had two phone interviews and then they flew me out to San Jose for a day of interviews. I met with the recruiter, my future boss, my future bosses boss and my future bosses bosses boss as well as four other engineers. There were technical questions, in each of the engineers interviews.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

They gave me an offer and I accepted (I had been out of work for 9 months and this was my first offer so I took it)

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2013.

Interview

I interviewed for multiple positions over a span of an year before we settled on a position. The "process took" timeframe below is for the latest interview cycle which resulted in an offer being made. Without identifying the group / team by name, all I can say is that this division deals within a specific domain and as such, the talent pool is limited to recruit from.
    Mid-'12. The first interview (on phone), as always with Apple, was with the Hiring Manager. The interviewer was very pleasant and the questioning mainly revolved around my background and skills. Even though the interview as scheduled for 30 minutes, the Manager cut it short and told me he will follow up with me within a day. The second interview (on site) ran for about five hours and consisted 1:1 interview sessions with various Managers, Senior Analysts & Engineers and the Recruiter. The Managers, Analysts and Engineers who interviewed me were pretty professional and represented different departments. The questioning, like the phone interview, focused on problem solving abilities and approach rather than the solution itself. The Hiring Manager hosted a Lunch Interview. The last session for the day was with the Recruiter who asked me about my salary expectations and the usual HR stuff.
    The following day the Recruiter reached out to me and let me know that they were not interested in considering me further at that point of time. The whole process took about three weeks.
    Late-'12. The Recruiter reached out to me about a new position that would be a good fit to my skill sets. The first interview (on phone) was the customary Hiring Manager interview. The second interview (on site) was slightly shorter (four hours) than my last visit to Apple Campus. The interview consisted 1:1 interview sessions with various Managers and Analysts & Engineers. The questions were domain specific and revolved around problems and challenges that are typically encountered by someone working in these areas of expertise. The next day, I was told that the feedback was extremely positive and I was scheduled to speak with the Director. Since this was around the Holidays, my 1:1 with the Group Director got delayed. The third and last interview (on phone) was with the Director and mainly revolved around why I wanted to work for Apple and how do I think that I am good position. The Director had considerable domain knowledge. Unlike most Director-level interviews, this interview was fairly technical.
    Within couple of days, the Recruiter reached back to me to let me know that, as of then, they would not be able to make an offer and they would have to hold off on hiring me. While no specific reason was attributed, I was let known that the group was impressed with my skills and the process would resume soon. This time around the whole process took about six weeks.
    Early-'13. After waiting for couple of months, I reached back to Apple about resuming the previous process. I also let them know my keen interest in couple of positions that had opened up recently. The Recruiter followed up with a Coding Homework to regauge my technical skills. Once I was done solving, the Recruiter promptly scheduled an 1:1 interview with the Hiring Manager. The first interview (on phone) was soon followed second and last interview (on site). The on site Lunch Interview was just with the Hiring Manager. They skipped over technical rounds based on the homework solutions and my past interview feedbacks. By the time the final interview was scheduled, the group had, more or less, made up their minds about hiring me. The final session was basically about what they envisioned for the position they were hiring and if I am truly interested in joining them.
    The Recruiter emailed me the following business day and let me know that they were ready to make an offer. This was followed couple of email and phone calls to finalize the offer & package.
    Here are couple of tips based on my experience and from what I have heard from folks who have undergone the same process.
    * Never "wing" it. I realized it the hard way. Engineers questioning you know their stuff and can easily make out if you know things or if you are just guessing.
    * The on site interviews are exhausting. Make sure you are hydrated and well rested. Interviewers, as a matter of process, will not offer you a water / restroom break unless you ask for it.
    * For a technology giant, some of the processes are still "old-style". No t-shirts or jeans for the interviews. Candidates are expected to show up in business casuals.
    * Like most things Apple, the Managers, Analysts and Engineers are very secretive. They'll never tell you what they are working on and the expectation is for you to illustrate solutions based on your current job.
    * On a lighter note, the food available in Caffe Macs are gourmet, personalized and highly economical. Apple will provide you with a "Food Coupon" which will be more than sufficient to cover your lunch, twice over.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about an interesting research project that you conducted or were involved with.   1 Answer
    • What brings you here today?   1 Answer
    • Can you optimize this code?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Standard negotiation practice. I was offered a base + benefits + RSU package that was, overall, above the market / industry level. Even though the base was slightly below my expectation, they were willing provide generous stock bonus. Base salary, vacations and other benefits are not negotiable. If you are walking away from substantial financial incentives like Retention Bonuses and Stock Grants, then the company will match it in form of Sign-on Bonus.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2012.

Interview

The phone interviews consisted of an initial screening that involved general OO design, then the phone interviews asked for more detailed technical tasks. They are often very interested in past projects, so be able to talk in length about things you've worked on. On site was long, from 9:45-4:30, consisting of 6 45 minute interviews. Questions ranged from debugging a toy program they had written to designing out an application I was planning on working on.

Interview Questions

• Reverse a C string that has a special character encoding. Special characters are two bytes and are preceded by a flag character represented by the highest bit being set to 1, then the following bits specifing how many special characters will follow. The special characters are be interspersed between normal characters.   1 Answer