Apple Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Apple

6,881 Interview Reviews

Sort:

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

You will receive an email notification before two rounds of phone interview, the first is about the project or research experience you included in your resume while the second is testing your understanding of the courses you have listed.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Full day of interviews, split into 5 one-hour-long sessions, plus lunch. Each session is with one or two engineers who ask very technical questions about programming, modeling, and other software engineering requirements. Lunch is with the hiring manager and some or all of the team.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Met recruiters at University Career Fair. Submitted my resume through Apple's website. I got a call saying they wanted to set up a phone interview. Got a call from a software engineer who works in their iOS Frameworks. Most of my experience and resume material came from the fact I write iPhone Applications. They were hiring for their frameworks division. It was a mismatch because I was one level above the software they write. They asked me two questions: 1 was a database question on why did I write my database tables the way that I did for a project I had listed on my resume. The second question was why do you write "assign" on the property declaration of a class. Overall it seemed like a pretty standard interview. I blew the second question but before I got off the phone the Apple Engineer told me I had more experience than he did when he was my age. I'm in college.

Interview Questions

• Why do you write "assign" in a property declaration on an Objective-C class   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Its was a 3 week process

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

telephone -1 : little endian to big conversion
                              number of words in a string

Interview Questions

• telephone -1 : little endian to big conversion
                                number of words in a string   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by an Apple recruiter asking if I'd be interested in a specific engineering position. After a technical phone interview with the hiring manager, I was invited on-site for a full day of interviews.

A trip coordinator at Apple sent me a link to their booking intranet that allowed me to book my flights, hotel, and rental car. This was great because it allowed me to tweak the travel exactly how I liked it.

On the day of the interview, the recruiter met with me to give me an overview of the process and explain the benefits.

The on-site interviews consisted of six back-to-back technical interviews that involved whiteboard coding exercises ranging from traversing binary search trees to software architecture and everything in between.

The interviewers were all very bright and courteous. They asked great questions and when I got stuck, they gave me small bits of information that helped me get to the final solution. Though there were a couple questions that I really struggled with, I was able to arrive at a solution for every problem.

Lunch was with my future manager and in the Apple cafeteria---paid for by Apple. The cafeteria is really impressive. They have several ethnicities represented with food served just as beautifully as their products. The lunch interview consisted mainly of resume clarifications, general behavioral questions, and a chance for me to ask the questions that I had.

After the final interview, I said goodbye to the recruiter and the hiring manager and left for home.

I was contacted the next day by the recruiter letting me know that the interview feedback was very positive and that they'd like to send me an offer. Once the details were ironed out, I accepted immediately.

Here are some pointers to potential interviewees:

1. Make sure you know basic algorithms and data structures. You should be familiar with hash tables, linked lists, binary search trees, etc. You should also know how to search and traverse each data structure.

2. You should know Apple. Show your love and enthusiasm for the brand.

3. Don't spout off about things that you aren't fully knowledgeable about. You'll get asked clarifying questions and will look like a fool if you were just talking to look good. Make sure you can back any opinions you give with factual evidence.

4. Rehearse the typical behavioral questions. You should be prepared to answer things like "why do you want to work for Apple?" or "Have you ever had an experience where x happened?".

5. Your attitude should be one of humility and eagerness to learn. You'll quickly realize that you're not the smartest person in the room. Be polite and humble.

Interview Questions

• Implement an iterator for a binary search tree that will iterate the nodes by value in ascending order.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

Contacted for phone interview and got scheduled within the next two days. Two people were phone interviewing me and asked mostly programming exercises. No algorithm, conceptual, or problem solving questions were asked. Questions like write a function for the given function prototypes.

Interview Questions

• The unexpected question was about reversing a singly linked list with the given prototype. But I was the one to be blamed as I wasn't well prepared.   7 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (San Jose, CA) in June 2012.

Interview

Very friendly interview with questions about background and recent projects. No technical questions at all, he made the process very smooth. My experience was not suitable with what they are looking for so didn't go through second round, but very nice guy interviewed me, hope all interviews are like that.

Interview Questions

• details about projects you worked on, and tough moments going through them   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

Multiple phone interviews with various managers and team members. Friendly and surprisingly unorthodox compared to the run of the mill European software houses I was accustomed to. Persistently follows you up. Company seems to have an interesting mix of talent, and seems to seek people who aren't necessarily pure engineers.

Interview Questions

• Was asked why my blog was spanned such a wide range of subject over a short time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

They saw an application that I wrote on my website and offered me an internship. I worked on some of their smaller profile projects for a year until they offered me a full time job.

I don't remember the questions being very difficult although it was a while ago. I think at Apple, they are really looking for something different about each person. For me, they saw an app I wrote and released when I was 13 and they thought I might be useful. For others, it may be different.

Interview Questions

• You have a 100 coins laying flat on a table, each with a head side and a tail side. 10 of them are heads up, 90 are tails up. You can't feel, see or in any other way find out which side is up. Split the coins into two piles such that there are the same number of heads in each pile.   34 Answers