Apple Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

7,932 Interview Reviews

Hardware Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Recruiter for Apple Watch team reached out to me and wanted to schedule a phone call. Right before the call, sent an e-mail saying we need to reschedule. Instead of the call on rescheduled day, I receive another e-mail telling me my phone is unreachable. I immediately replied back that my phone is available to receive a call and infact, call back on the recruiter's number. No response. My voicemail showed no missed calls. I agree to reschedule and finally get hold of the recruiter. After asking generic information, recruiter says he will ask someone from the team to schedule a phone interview. 2 weeks go by, no phone call. I sent a reminder e-mail and his response is that he will remind the team. Another week goes by, still no phone call. I send a reminder e-mail one last time. No response from recruiter himself. Terrific company!

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

I was asked to describe interfaces for frameworks/classes to solve different problems (for example, design a framework for playing cards), as well as questions about Xcode tooling, rendering and animations.

Interview Questions

• How does UIKit renders views on the screen?   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

Open position in Search team.
    Had two telephonic coding rounds before being called for onsite interview.
    1st telephonic round coding question like Tree Serialize and deserialize, follow up question can the serialize string output be further compressed (which I didn’t have much time) . Then got an email from recruiter saying they want to have one more telephonic online coding round. In the second round coding problem asked was 3 sum problem with target equal to 0 and follow up was to find all possible combinations of subsets which equals target sum. Later next day got email from recruiter saying team wants to move forward with onsite interview.

All the communication with regards to scheduling or any updates is done via email recruiter didn’t call to inform or have even the initial introductory call.

Onsite interview email didn’t have any details apart from location and from and to time and hr contact name. Onsite interview every person who interview will give a coding question
    1st round - with Engineer question like How will you identify performance problem in java application and one coding question

2nd round- with Engineer coding question like given k sorted lists get top n elements based on search score (like merge k sorted lists and select top n elements)

3rd round - with head of the team asked some general questions and then asked couple of questions like dfs coding and how to generate synonyms for search query (this question is very vague basically idea is to look at the log or user interactions in given user session time like say 10 sec and use that info to generate synonyms)

4th round lunch round with entire team , felt like they were trying to access if the potential candidate fits in the team dynamic

5th round with hiring manager general info about company and team praising about the company and informing that the potential candidate that it’s not 9-5 job and later asked coding question like sort 3 unique numbers (hint 2 pointers)

6th round with Engineer asked about coding problem like k dimensional tree or point problem not able to recollect

7th round with Engineer started to explain about employee org chat problem what data structure and if employee view manager (direct or in direct like skip level) then the profile should be colored red, if manager views direct or indirect reportee then profile color should be green else for other case blue color. Need to code data preprocessing and other logic

Next couple of day later got email from recruiter informing about team passing.

Interview Questions

• Tree serialization and deserialization follow up compress serialize string output   2 Answers
    • 3 sum problem with target sum zero and follow up find all susbset combinations which equals to target sum zero   1 Answer
    • Merge k sorted lists and find top n elements based on search scores   Answer Question

Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Portland, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Portland, OR) in February 2020.

Interview

two phone rounds followed by an onsite at Portland. Interviewed by six people on various concepts of Design , verification and algorithms .Quite challenging to be fair. The collective experience of the entire team was close to 100 to 130 years while I had 3 years :P

Interview Questions

• 1) Swap in Verilog 2) Print 2D matrix spirally starting from centre 3) randomize the size of a 2D matrix/multi dimentional array 4) Fork-join and how to disable fork 5) Assertions
      6) Reverse a string 7) How to verify a vending machine 8) Application of UVM Barrier class, 9) Divide by 5 state machine and extract a mathematical equation to generate the next state , 10) Write a system verilog test to verify if all the clocks on the SOC have been switched off after writing 'b1 to a register , 11) Why do we need UVM agents , 12) How is UVM Scoreboard implemented, 13) Constraint address to word accessible , atleast 2 ways to do it , 14) Test Plan and functional Coverage   1 Answer

Battery Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in February 2020.

Interview

I applied online on Apple career postal, a few weeks later a recruiter called me to setup an interview with the hiring manager. The interview was kinda tough but I was expecting that since that’s Apple.
    The manger didn’t talk about the position at the beginning of the interview, he even gave me the chance to talk about myself or background, he went straight to technical questions, which were kinda deep for an entry level who just graduated from school.
    The issue was, the manger didn’t give me the chance to answer his questions completely, he was interrupting me, and move to the next question very quickly even though we had time!! At the end he didn’t give the chance to ask my questions, he just said I don’t have more questions, goodbye and then he hanged up!!

Product Design Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple (Austin, TX).

Interview

Apple staff came to the university and I was selected to have an interview on the same day. The interview was a one-on-one with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of three questions followed by my own questions.

Interview Questions

• FBD of three ropes and a weight: find the tension in all three ropes.   3 Answers
    • Find the force exerted at the end of a cantilever beam knowing the forces and distance.   1 Answer
    • Label the stress-strain diagram and then draw how a metal would behave if a load was applied and then removed.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in September 2019.

Interview

I had two different interviews. The first was a group interview and it had a total of 10 people, splitting us into groups of 5. Each group had an interviewer and every person would take turns answering the question. After only 25 minutes we collected our resumes and we left the building. I got an email saying I would move to the next round and a phone call to schedule my next interview.

I went to my second interview location and it was really packed. My first interviewer was a shift lead. Because we were talking in an apple store, we sat in a room that had seats, but was still very loud. If you're in a situation like this, you NEED to speak up. The interviewer is tired because they've been conducting interviews all day so speaking softly will not be a good impression. My interviewer asked pretty standard questions and then he moved me forward to his manager who then offered me the position on the spot. We did the paperwork and that was it! Very fast paced once you get past the hiring event stage.

Interview Questions

• Tell us about yourself and what was the most recently fun thing you did?   5 Answers
    • Why apple?   1 Answer
    • What's your favorite apple product and how would you promote it?   2 Answers
    • Describe a time when someone went above and beyond for you?   2 Answers
    • What's your favorite feature of an apple product?   3 Answers

Legal Counsel Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (San Jose, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

Phone call with recruiter, then hiring manager, and then in-person with several members of the team and adjacent teams, and then the director (more of a formality than a requirement)

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were asked to help on an agreement and negotiation where the company's private and confidential information were implicated in potential government-manded disclosures for the other party, but not for Apple?   Answer Question

RF Systems Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

Initial phone screen. Contacted by recruiter within a week of applying. He asked me some basic questions about my situation and gave me some pointers to help me succeed in the next round of interviewing.

Data Scientist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in February 2020.

Interview

In the first part the interviewer asked questions related to my CV, and also understanding about machine learning algorithms such as the difference between random forest and xgboost.

Second part is data query coding questions.

Interview Questions

• Given a table of user log with platform information, count daily active users on each platform (ipad, iphone, mac).   Answer Question