Apple Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Interview Questions

Updated Mar 29, 2017
5,175 Interview Reviews

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I went through 4 different job interviews and I did not get the job. The first interview was a group interview with at least 25 other people. The second interview was one-on-one with a lower ranking manager, then the last two were with the two store leads. Even though (I felt like) I nailed each interview and I went to four different interviews, I did not get the job. I know that Apple is allowed to have some level of elitism due to their brand, but four interviews is pretty ridiculous! Every time I tell someone about my trials to get a job with apple their jaws literally drop.

Interview Questions

• Icebreaker: What is your favorite breakfast cereal and how does it describe you?   Answer Question

Algorithm Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

HR found me through LinkedIn. Phone contacted. Submitted resume and answers to some basic personal and technical questions. Manager phone interviewed asking technical questions for 30 min. Finished coding and technical homework. Waiting for onsite interview.

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Tempe, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

This whole process is a bit extensive, however they try to make it as fun/interesting as possible.

I had put in an application about a month ago with a recommendation from a friend who works in a different store than the one I was applying at. I was told that if you had a referral from a current employee you pretty much got to skip most of the waiting and get an invitation to a hiring event as soon as the next one rolls around...And they were right! About a month afterwards I still hadn't heard anything, so I decided to give the store a call. I asked to speak to a hiring manager to see if I could schedule an interview, and once I got ahold of him and he saw that I had a referral, he helped me out and got me scheduled at the next hiring event immediately!

THE FIRST INTERVIEW: This was actually my second time having a "first interview" at the Apple Store, and both of the experiences were pretty identical. I got to the store about 15-20 minutes ahead of the time I was supposed to be there, I walked in and introduced myself to one of the employees and let them know that I was there to interview. They greeted me and let me know that there were several other applicants also waiting at the store, and that we were going to have to wait with each other and introduce ourselves while the manager got prepared for a group interview. After waiting for *about* 30 min or so, people who applied with me stopped pouring in when there were about 16 of us. After standing there with all of our introductions made and some light conversation, the manager finally came out and grabbed all of us. Since the store was in a mall, he took us to the nearby sitting area and had us move the chairs and tables around in a circle so we could all face each other. After some short introductions, he actually told us right off the bat that since that particular store was actually very new and one of the largest in the area, he only had 2 open positions within the store and over 1,000 applicants in that hiring round alone. He said he just wanted to start with that so we understood that even if we didn't hear back from him that day, it's not a "no", but rather, a "No, for now". So, we continued the hiring session by starting off with "personal" interviews. We had to find a partner and spend 2 minutes interviewing each other and learning all that we could about each other, and then presenting it to the group afterwards. *ADVICE: Make sure you get a good partner who's a bubbly person that's not afraid to talk and present you in a good manner. They will set the first impressions everyone gets from you!!*
    So after we had finished going around the table and presenting each other to the group, we were told to seperate into two large groups of about 5-6 people and start using the iPads that were brought out to answer some group questions. Basically, the questions were hidden on the iPad until you clicked on the numbered bubbles on the screen. The question would be read aloud within your group and anyone had the chance to volunteer a response to any question. The manager just walked around and listened in on the conversations that were happening as he walked by, so it's VERY IMPORTANT That whenever you get a chance to talk, try to be the first one doing so. It's a participation activity and since the manager only has a few seconds to listen in on the convo, the more they hear your voice, the better.
    After going around answering the questions, we reconvened as a group and were asked more "traditional" interview questions. These were mandatory questions that you could not opt out of, unlike the previous participation-style questions. After all that was done, he said that that was the conclusion of the hiring event and he opened it up to any questions we had for him. Think of this portion as another "participation grade" because they will look forward to you asking them questions. Be prepared with at least 1 or 2 good ones just in case.

Overall, The whole process took about 1.5 hours from beginning to end, so don't go in expecting to be done soon afterwards. Make sure you're participating as much as possible, be active, not reactive, and most importantly; have fun! Apple truly does hire off of your personality, not really what you know. As long as you show you're passionate and are there to truly contribute something to the company rather than getting a paycheck, they'll ask you to come back.

Interview path: one thing to know is that Apple is not an "I need a job tomorrow" job. The whole process is meant to take time to weed out the individuals who don't truly want to be there. The first interview will always be a group interview. From there, if you pass, you will be invited back to a one-on-one (or very small group, 1-2 people) interview with the Team Leader (Store Assistant Manager), then from there another single interview with the Store Leader (Store Manager), then a final interview with the Market Leader (basically district manager).

Interview Questions

• What was a time where one of your work days had ended up being nothing like what you had planned for it to be the night before?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where your patience at work truly helped you solve a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • If I asked you to do one thing right now that would make you uncomfortable, what would that thing be?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Applied and received an email from a talent recruiter a day later for an interview at a nearby store. I already knew people working at Apple, so I had an idea of what the questions would be like and I was prepared for three rounds of interviews. When you receive the email, you RSVP a day and time for the interview. On the day of the initial interview, I walked into the designated Apple store and was directed to sit in at the "setup" table in the back of the store. I was with five other people. We were interviewed by a Store Leader and a Senior Manager. Main thing: Don't come off as stiff and boring. I was stuck at two questions but made jokes and answered every question as if I'm having a normal conversation. Some of the others I was interviewing with were WAY more experienced than I was but were too serious and bad mouthed their previous jobs and coworkers—DO NOT DO THIS! Share interesting facts about yourself that make them remember you. I honestly made it up, not even gonna lie. My only interesting story was that I played the violin but the other interviewees were coming from working with Amazon and one girl was related to Bruce Willis??! You have to be memorable and be a team player. They narrow people down by inviting to a second and third interview but I only had one since I had two people from Apple who gave me a referral.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time you initiated an idea and it failed, and how did you react?
      How would you handle a difficult customer?
      What are you passionate about?
      Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I was recommended and had a phone interview about a month later. The phone interview lasted 5 minutes and about a week later was told they were going ahead with other applicants. (Chicago IL)

IOS Framework Test Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in March 2017.

Interview

Phone call with Hiring Manager who asked me a bit about the back, told me about the role and delved into technical questions specific to the role. It is very difficult to prepare for.

Interview Questions

• What are the iOS frameworks that you have used?
      How would you test a string to integer function?
      Diff between process and thread?
      What is the main class in iOS all objects inherit from?
      What is a Category in C?
      Answer Question

CPU Design Verification Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

For interns, they have 4 phone interviews of 30 min each. Usually, they do 1 interview initially before scheduling the other 3. The interviewers usually are different members of the team which work on separate parts of the design.

Interview Questions

• Explain how an out-of-order processor works? How do you implement register renaming? Difference between an architectural and physical register file   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Applied online through a referral. Heard back within three weeks to attend a hiring event. Went through three rounds of interviews after. After final interview was hired for position after a week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't know how to handle a situation and what steps you took?   Answer Question

Application

The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Very intense yet relaxing process. Got email to attend hiring event. 5 people present. Basic customer service questions. Keep in mind Apple does not care what knowledge you already have abut products or services they offer. They can teach you all that. They wanna know how you interact with others and what type of person you are. Later that evening I got a call for a phone interview the next morning. That interview was with store manager. And to make long story short, there were 4 interviews total. All very relaxing asking about experience and your hobbies. After the third interview, i was sent a email to start background check. I had my job offer Thursday of the same week and start date was a week later.

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Two full phone screenings with separate managers. Had a Skype type interview with the HR director, then a Skype interview with a manager. It take a long time to get through the process and they run a full background check on you for work experience and I believe criminal. It's been a few years since I've run through this process so I don't exactly recall what checks were run but it is extensive. Currently Apple is on a hiring freeze and they get thousands of applications a day so it can be hard even getting through the interview process and if you make one mis-step then you are out and put on a list of not eligible for re-hire.

Interview Questions

• They focus on how you would take care of the customers.   Answer Question