Apple Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Apple

7,964 Interview Reviews

Engineering Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Extremely elaborate and painfully long. Recruiters are subpar and very poor in terms of communication. Often handed off from one recruiter to another.

Recruiter 1 reached out for phone screen with interviewer 1. Interviewer 1 missed the phone screen appointment. Recruiter reached out and set up a followup call. Although I asked for confirmation on the rescheduled time, no confirmation received. So I wasn't expecting the call when suddenly the interviewer 1 calls on the rescheduled date !

After the call went well then recruiter reached out 1 week later to set up phone screen 2. After giving a few dates, phone screen 2 was scheduled 2 weeks later.

Phone screen 2 seemed to go well but things went quiet for 2 weeks. Then a new recruiter reached out to schedule an onsite and after I said yes to onsite it took one more week for the recruiter to ask for dates!

After I provided the dates the recruiter again went quiet for 2 weeks and then came out of the blue to again ask for dates. I provided the dates and again no response for 1 week and then he again comes back and asks for dates ! After I provide the dates again quiet period for a week. I was really surprised when he actually ended up setting me for a in-person interview.

The in-person interview 'seemed' to go well. Most people I spoke to seemed to be either genuinely nice or nerdish in an Apple kind of way. In the end the senior most person on the interviewing team actually told me 'talk to you soon' ! The recruiter told me to reach out and also let him know how things went. Noticeably, the general theme that came across was that the team was not happy with the previous EPM in that role.

And then lo behold, no word, not a single peep from the recruiter after 1 month. That was disappointing but not entirely surprising given how the recruiter had been communicating all along. I know Apple is a most sought after company and they have more people trying to get in than the number of positions available but this is really very unprofessional to leave a candidate hanging, especially after the candidate has invested so much time in the whole process. I have had an opportunity to interview with Apple in the past and the unprofessionalism of their recruiters has been very consistent both times.

My 2 cents - I felt that if they are not moving fast enough then it means that they want to try out the other candidates in the pipeline and want to keep you as a backup in case the other candidates don't work out. So keep that in mind as you work through the process.

Needless to say, Apple recruitment process is not even closely comparable to the user experience of those awesome apple products! Truly unfortunate for such a great company.

Haptic Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eden Prairie, MN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Eden Prairie, MN) in June 2016.

Interview

Recruiter found my resume and contacted me and set up an interview and Skype interview was performed. Actually initial interview was postponed and I had to do the 2nd interview schedule.

Interview Questions

• There are two "L" socks and two "R" socks in a basket, what is probability of picking both one L and one R together?   4 Answers
    • Where do you want to put strain gauge in the cantilever beam which is supported at one end and receiving force at the other end?   3 Answers
    • There is inductor, capacitor, and resistor. What is transfer function of Vout over Vin where Vout is at the inductor?   2 Answers
    • List all the possible solutions to make a hole in any metal. 2 minutes are given.   3 Answers

Hardware Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Lots of general questions of systems engineering. Questions spanned from analog electronics, optical engineering, sensing technology, image sensors, characterization. People who interviewed me seemed very prepared in their field, but were from a variety of specialties. Overall they were fair and nice, but I had the impression that they were looking for somebody who is expert/specialist on everything.

Interview Questions

• How would you remove cross-talk between channels in a CMOS image sensor?   2 Answers

HID User Studies Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

I met the manager of the team at the conference and gave her my resume, two weeks later, I got an email asking me if I would like to talk to the recruiter.
    The first phone call was a screening with the recruiter. She asked me some questions based on my resume. It was more about clarification instead of accessing my skill. The phone call lasted 15 minutes, and I was scheduled for a phone interview with the manager.
    The second interview was more about my personal experience that I was asked to talk about some of the studies I had done, and about what how I designed those studies. The phone call lasted for 30 minutes. I got an email in the afternoon asking me when I can fly down to the headquarter for a full day interview.

On the scheduled day, I went to the building 15 minutes early and waited in the lobby. The recruiter showed up at exact 10 am and led me to the meeting room and began with some background questions. It included some of my Visa status, graduation date, and possible starting date. After that, she told me who am I going to interview with today, and explained to me if they decided to move me forward, what will the process be. 30 minutes after, the first interviewer came, who was the project manager, she asked a lot of behavior questions, and taking notes on her computer. 30 minutes later, I met another woman who was from the algorithm team. She asked questions about how to collect valid data and how to work with the engineers. She also asked about how to design studies for lasted devices which user might have never seen or used before. This section also lasted for about 30 minutes.
    The third interview was with the user studies engineer from the team, the position where I am interviewing for. She asked me some background questions and told me to explain some of the past projects I had done. She also asked about what was my expectation of the position and what types of user research I am most comfortable with. The process also lasted for about 30 minutes.

Lastly, I met with the manager of the team whom I spoke with during the phone call. And the question she asked covered from behavioral questions to technical questions. We had an interview from an hour, and we went to the cafe to grab lunch. The interview continued after the lunch for another 30 minutes. Before I left, she told me that they would inform me the result about five days later.

The waiting time after the interview was the most frustrating part. I did not get a phone call after a week, so I sent two emails to ask whether I am still on the list. It was then I got a reply saying that they were not going to move me forward. I know they were really busy, but I did expect that for someone who went for the on-site interview, they should at least send me an email.

To conclude, the process except the last part went really smoothly. The people I had talked to were kind and friendly. And they always gave you time to ask questions. This is my first job interview in the US, and I really appreciate they gave an opportunity. Even though I did not get an offer, this was a really good experience for me.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about the project manager you like most and least.   Answer Question
    • How will you study whether a user like the product or not while it was still under development?   1 Answer
    • Through the whole user research process, which part do you like most and why?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

It was a large group interview, then a second small interview and then I was hired. The large group was with about 10-15 people and was a mix of past employees looking to be re-hired and new applicants. The whole interview group took about 45 minutes and was very organic and engaging. The second interview was with the store leader and I was with only 2 other candidates. It was still very comfortable and not high stress.

Interview Questions

• What you favorite app is and a lot of client situational questions.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

1st group interview, around 11 people, introduction, watched video & questions afterward,
    then divided by 2 groups, questions were about how you handle hard time or difficult situations.

within a week

2nd solo interview, 1 on 1, introduction, questions were about your personality & interests,
    to know you more, and get more idea about how you solve things.

within days

3rd Duo interview, with partner, who may or may not apply the same job like you do,
    long introduction for both, have introduced about career and family briefly. Questions
    were about what you can give, how you explain something you good at, also describe
    how you overcome difficulties. It will be good if you have an area of interest to focus.

Interview Questions

• Why Apple? And why would Apple hire you?
      Where will you be after 5 years?   Answer Question

Mechanical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with recruiter, then hiring manager. Ten days to complete and submit a design challenge followed by onsite presentation and 1 day of multiple interviews.

The interview was very challenging. There were a lot of technical questions about my design challenge, basic physics questions, several questions about design considerations for various components. What is your greatest achievement

Interview Questions

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in June 2016.

Interview

The interview process took a whole month. By the 3rd one I wasn't even interested anymore because it had taken so many mountain climbing to get to that point. I had to do an in-person and 2 webcam interviews. It was 3 interviews in total. At least for me. I've had coworkers tell horror stories about them having to do up to 5 interviews. At the end of my 2nd interview I'd think it would be my last one then they'd say "well you will hear from so & so for your 3rd interview if you are accepted for the position".

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time you had to deal with an irate customer? What was the outcome of the situation?   Answer Question

Technical Support Agent Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hollywood, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Hollywood, FL) in June 2016.

Interview

Easy.... you a treated as a person. It was very smooth and no pressure involved. I love this position. No dumb scenarios or stupid questions. Just straight to the point questions about you.

Negotiation

Liked my prior experience.

Product Manager Interview

Interview

thought process, generic and product related questions. personal failures and accomplishments. review on previous teams. dealing with difficult people, situations. dealing with engineering difficulties. cost and engineering trade off situations.

Interview Questions

• interfacing and team building questions, presentation skills   Answer Question