Apple Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at Apple

7,230 Interview Reviews

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2016.

Interview

Got contacted by a recruiter. Had a phone screen with her followed by an interview with the hiring manager. The hiring manager was like a robot with pre-programmed questions. No expressions came out of her whatsoever. This is the coldest phone screen I've ever had....

Senior Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter, talked to hiring manager for 1 hr over the phone, then an on site interview (4 people), then another on site (3 people)
    Did not hear back for 4 weeks before I got a No answer

Interview Questions

• Why do you want tot work at Apple (all interviewers were so proud of apple and their culture)   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Contacted by recruiter on LinkedIn; call w recruiter; call w hiring manager; two rounds of onsite interviews. Was positive I got it but was politely rejected. Will say apple employees don’t seem like the happiest bunch. Just smart and hard working. V dif than my google days.

Interview Questions

• Normal behavioral (tell me about a time when...)   Answer Question
    • Can’t share too much Bc of NDA, but for the product I was going to work on...what are the opportunities for us given external environment?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you failed. Not when you failed and learned or course corrected- actually totally failed.   Answer Question
    • Case study- 50 min to put together deck and presentation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2011.

Interview

Recruiter from the company contacted me via Linked In. She set up a phone interview and asked me about my experience and interests. It was a 30 minute discussion. She did a good job of describing the job and who I would be working with. A week later, another phone interview by another recruiter that asked me more direct, technical questions and described the competitive environment and reviewed the benefits and relo package to see if I was interested. 2 weeks later I went to Cupertino site and met with the group & manager I would work with. Very competitive environement and they are going like gangbusters. They all emphasized that right now, work is thier life but they all LOVE it.

Interview Questions

• In your last job, who was the most difficult person you worked with and why was it difficutl to work with them? How did you make that successful?   Answer Question
    • What was the most original, out of the box result that happened due to your suggestion and drive?   Answer Question

Didn't want to live in Cupertino or that area and didnt want to travel as much as the job would require (50%)

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2011.

Interview

Started with a interview with HR - She seemed impressed and was excited to pass my resume on.

The first phone interview with with a guy it lasted about 25 minutes. The first 10 minutes he drilled me about what I currently do and the last 15 minutes he spent trying to figure out if I could do the job. The questions were random all over the board, sometimes I didn't gejt to finsh my first answer before he was asking another. It was a tough call, and not sure how anyone could prepare for what happened on that call.

Second phone interview with with a lady, and it lasted about an hour. This was a more plesant experience than the first. But basically everything I said, she went in the opposite direction completely. At the end of the hour she told me that she will not be moving forward with me because I do not have global experience and they need someone who will detail manage things (yet this was for a senior level position, so I was confused on that one).

Overall they were both pretty arrogant, and tough. I never got the sense either could clearly articulate the job they were hiring for, everything was all over the board on what your day to day job tasks would be.

The glamour I once had for this company might be gone.

Interview Questions

• Walk me through your resume.
      Explain some of your current projects in details.
      What are things in the job posting you most resinate with.
      What are things in the job posting which are not your strenghts.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I applied online for the position. I was screened by a recruiter then a first interview was set up with the hiring manager. The 2nd and 3rd interviews were by a group of people and onsite. The 4th interview was a phone interview with the director of the hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Questions were not difficult. I was asked about my work history and some situational questions specific to the issues in the team/area I was interviewing for.

Hardest question: Tell us why we should select you for this position over any other canidate.   Answer Question

Negotiation

It took about a week from my last interview to be presented with an offer. I was able to negotiate salary, signing bonus and stock. Vacation days are not negotiable.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2012.

Interview

This was a 3 step phone interview. Hiring manager, hiring manager's manager and a project manager. This was deceptive. I went through 3 rounds of interviews within a week

Senior Release Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

An employee friend submitted my resume for a job I had found on LinkedIn. An HR representative then called my for an initial phone screen.

I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager. The call was scheduled for 30 minutes and we talked for almost an hour. The timing was just before the Christmas holidays, so he told me there would be some delay in the process, but wanted to speak again in 2-3 weeks. Had a second phone interview mid-January with the hiring manager and also a release manger currently in the role. Again scheduled for 30 minutes but ended up exchanging ideas for nearly an hour. The manager told me that they would talk about it, and that HR would contact me about moving forward if that was the decision.

HR contacted me the next day to setup an onsite visit to Cupertino. All travel arrangements handled through Apple. I just had to go online and pick my flights, rental car, and hotel, and it was all taken care of.

Arrived for interviews the night before, and was well rested for the day. Met with 10 people. Four interviews with myself and 2 people, two interviews with individuals. One "interview" was with two people the hiring manager and myself over lunch. The one exception was that the hiring manager's boss was not able to be onsite the day of my interviews so I had a phone interview with him the day before. It was 30 minutes and he asked a lot of practical questions about running software releases.

All the interviews were very "conversational" in nature and not "interrogation" in nature. Some of that is just because of my personality, and some of it was because I had a lot of questions for them. I really felt it was a great exchange of knowledge for both parties. Most (but not all) of them had a copy of my resume and had actually read it beforehand.

The day ended with a one-on-one interview with the Senior VP over all Apple engineering. Both the HR person and the hiring manager took time to prep me for the interview with her. The hiring manager was there when I finished with the SVP, and walked me out to my rental car, talking very pleasantly the whole time. He let slip that there was an internal candidate that was being interviewed later that week. He told me that he was anxious to move forward, and felt the process was taking too long.

My interviews were on a Wednesday. Hiring manager's boss was out of the office until the next Monday. Was told that's when they would compare everyone's notes and make a decision.

HR contacted me the Friday after that with a standard form letter e-mail, stating that they were no longer considering my application for that position.

Interview Questions

• Questions were mostly practical in nature. Not the standard "tell me a time when..."   Answer Question

Senior Software Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Contact with recruiter was pleasant and polite. Phone screens with three different developers. Feedback was very positive. All were from very different divisions of Apple and that is where the problems started. That was probably a bad idea and I should have corrected them. I should have stipulated only one group and have a full set of interviews pertinent only to them. But they should have known that too. The interviewing was a full day and fairly intense. Most of the questions were relevant but some were just pointlessly obtuse. I chalk that up to experience...it is mostly new grads and junior developers who enjoy dressing people down. Senior developers have worked that out of their system and actually want to determine if they want to work with you. I dropped the ball on a couple of things and that is my fault, but that has to be expected in any interview.

I feel like I got mixed messaging. The phone screens and recruiter conversations seemed to indicate I was a slam-dunk for one of these groups. Maybe they should be more neutral in their tone until the interview process is done.

All in all not a terrible experience and I have to own my mistakes, and my take-away was that the huge tech companies can afford to be very selective. Apple, like Google, Amazon etc are not understaffed or desperate. Quite the contrary, they are probably overstaffed. So as a result you have to expect that there is little penalty to them for declining a candidate.

Interview Questions

• Some interesting stuff on consensus algorithms. The usual Binary Search Tree garbage, some other stuff that bordered on trivia.   Answer Question

Senior Software Developer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2016.

Interview

phone screen and then a take away exam. questions in the phone interview were basic alogrithm based and then a take away exam was a little on the difficult side abd required to showcase OOP concepts