Apple Mechanical Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 22, 2017

4.0

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I applied online. A recruiter followed up and scheduled me for a phone screen. I passed the phone screen and was given a 1 week design test of a sample product. After delivering the test I was scheduled for a two day onsite interview. The interview was pretty shocking. Very high pressure and really a test of material science knowledge I don't use at my current job. No behavioral or background questions were asked. After the first day I was emailed at mid night to say they would give me a shot for the second day which was pretty unprofessional. Not a good fit in either direction and no one ever bothered to call me to tell me the results (not that I needed them to).

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Recruiter phone screen, phone interview with an engineer, a huge engineering design challenge, and an all day onsite interview panel. What a COLOSSAL MEGA waste of my time, I cannot emphasize enough how pointless this was... they required a full design review of an assembly product that you have to design several versions of a product, model in CAD, run tolerance stack up analysis, FEA, material selection, manufacturing assumptions, force balancing, etc. as if the assembly was going to be actually manufactured tomorrow. They liked my design so they brought me in. The onsite was a firing squad: they run you through absurd conceptual problems that are not based in reality and will do anything to get you in a corner. It does not matter how much work you put into the project (i went above and beyond and included all the above in a 50 pg PPT, as well as fully dimensioned 11x17 prints, hi-res renders, and 3D printed parts) but it doesn't matter, they gloss over that and WILL find the one aspect that is weakest and will press it until you don't know what more to say. They don't look for you to be a good fit they look for ANY reason at all to NOT hire you. And after all that effort they will send a general BS email, "thanks for your interest in apple but we are looking for other people". What a waste of 2 days of PTO and several nights on CAD for 2 weeks...

Interview Questions

• If you are in a boat with a boulder and you drop that boulder into the lake how does the water level before and after you drop the boulder in the lake compar?   2 Answers
    • You have 3 light bulbs upstairs and 3 light switches downstairs but don't know which switch connects to witch bulb. How can you switch the bulbs once and then go upstairs and immediately know which switch belongs to which bulb?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

The process was quick. I contacted a recruiter through Linkedin and sent him my resume. He said my profile is good and scheduled a phone interview where he asked me about my projects and after that he forwarded my resume to the hiring manager and scheduled an interview with him.
    The interview with hiring manager was purely technical related to beading of beams, materials.

Interview Questions

• Tell me five ways to reduce the deflection in a cantilever beam.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2013.

Interview

Process:
    I was not job hunting. I was recruited through linkedin. I figured it was an opportunity I couldn't ignore. I submitted a resume, cover letter, and sample work. They put me in contact with a hiring manager. I had a 30 minute phone interview with him. It was very basic screening (salary, willing to move, willing to travel, etc).

I was referred to the actual manager for the position who set up a technical phone interview (I lived cross country). He canceled once and rescheduled for two weeks later. Then he moved the meeting time back a couple of hours on the day of. The technical interview was appropriate to ensure I was qualified for the position. I had to answer several questions building on each other regarding engineering (materials, design decisions, etc). We briefly reviewed some of my sample work too. The interviewer was late on the call and had to hang up at one point to call another interviewee who was scheduled after me to tell them that he'd be late. He called me back to finish up. There were no questions about me as a person. He was only concerned with my engineering skills. He also left me almost no time to ask questions. At the end of the interview he told me he wanted to bring me in for an on-site interview. Later, the recruiter told me 1 in 6 or 7 people get past the phone interview.

I received an email that evening with a design challenge. The concept was to test drive my skills with a basic engineering problem that they give all interviewees (for benchmarking). I had one week to submit drawings, analysis, and CAD. I submitted my work and was supposed to received feedback but never did. People spends hours and hours on these submissions. Its critical.

The onsite interview was scheduled as two days. The first day was several hours of continuous meetings with various engineers including one over lunch. The second day was supposed to be a review of my design submission.

Opinion:
    I did not like the interview process. Trying to be objective, it was one directional, impersonal and poorly executed. It would be more accurate to call the process a test and not an interview. Perhaps, they have so much demand that they can get away with it. I was left in a conference room with an itinerary and people came and went over several hours. There was no oversight. I was left alone for 30 minutes at one point. I felt the majority of interviewers were unprepared, not engaged, and uninterested with anything other than technical questions. Perhaps they were all under a deadline. A number of them showed up late and others just glanced at my resume or sample work for the first time in the meeting. Half of them had a stock question that they asked and everything hinged on your answer to that which is fine with me. But, I also felt that they were looking for a specific answer and not anything creative nor did they have the patience to let you work out the solution. A lot of them were good people and good engineers but I was also turned off by the general attitude of superiority carried by the employees I met. I just didn't vibe with that. I prefer casual creative collaboration. Obviously, it didn't work out. Neither side felt it was a fit. I didn't feel like the experience would have given me enough insight about working there to decide to move cross country. Cupertino left a lot to be desired. The offices were less impressive than I was expecting but I didn't get a tour either. I know they are building a new state of the art facility. Apple was very generous with their accommodations. Money is not a concern for them. I come from smaller work environments so a company of 50,000 going on 85,000 was too big of a leap.

Interview Questions

• 1. Engineering cantilever beam question on phone interview
      2. Ipod battery door design challenge
      3. Show me the hardest problem you ever solved.   1 Answer

Mechanical Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple in March 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter to arrange an on-site interview. The interviewer came 5-10 minutes late. He rushed through the interview process. I wasn't given any time to ask any questions back. He told me to ask questions as we were walking out. I was given 10-20 seconds to think and answer the questions.

Interview Questions

• You are on a boat on a lake. There is a large rock with with you on a boat. If you push the rock into the lake, would water level rise, stay same or decrease? Explain your answer.   2 Answers