Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (West Lafayette, IN) in June 2020.

Interview

Received phone screening through LinkedIn invitation. I exchanged a few emails with the recruiters and figure out a time to chat. After passing the phone screening, the recruiter explained more regarding the role and how the interview process works.

Interview Questions

• What is the difference between Young's Modulus and stress and strain ratio?   2 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Got a phone interview with the HR. Then a couple from the design teams. Was given a one week design challenge on battery door mechanism. About to have another round of interviews. Excited

Interview Questions

• Basic stuff from stress-strain curve   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Interview

Absolutely entirely technical questions about springs. Wouldn't let up even when I obviously got a question wrong, just kept asking about springs. Eventually asked to see if I got one of the questions right at the end of the interview, just got hit with "it's all online."

Interview Questions

• What are the factors that influence a spring constant (k)?   3 Answers

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

15 minute phone call with recruiter for basic chat about resume, relocation and scheduling phone interview with manager. Second interview with product design manager where was asked questions on mechanical, thermal and physical principles.

Interview Questions

• How do you reduce deflection of a cantilever beam?   1 Answer
    • If a solid rod and a hollow bar is rolling down a hill having the same mass, which will reach first?   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Challenging and drawn out interview process. Started with initial phone screen with recruiter followed by 3 technical phone interviews. Was given a design challenge and presented to PD team at Apple. Following presentation, 8 interviews 1:1 with engineers on the team. Each with a challenge question/topic.

Interview Questions

• Compare different types of steels/other materials for tensile strength and stiffness.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple (Austin, TX).

Interview

Apple staff came to the university and I was selected to have an interview on the same day. The interview was a one-on-one with the hiring manager. The interview consisted of three questions followed by my own questions.

Interview Questions

• FBD of three ropes and a weight: find the tension in all three ropes.   3 Answers
    • Find the force exerted at the end of a cantilever beam knowing the forces and distance.   1 Answer
    • Label the stress-strain diagram and then draw how a metal would behave if a load was applied and then removed.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

After my friend sent the referral, the recruiter got back to me very fast. Had a 15-mins phone screening with the recruiter. No technical questions just some background, status, timing stuff. Then I had an interview with a technical manager. I was asked about my experience, especially the ones related to design. Then I was asked the classic cantilever beam questions. Make sure you have a good understanding of the definition of stress, stiffness, buckle, etc. Do review your "Strength of Materials" and "Mechanical Design" courses!

Thanks to everyone who contributed here. I passed the first round and went to the second. I got the design challenge named "push-button design for the iPod battery cover". Spent 5 days to make the 3D model and slides. Did some FEA. Was then told they didn't see it as a good match.
    If they like your design, they will bring to Cupertino.

Interview Questions

• You have 4 beams. Beam 1 has a 3*3 cross-section. Beam 2 has a hole in the middle so the cross-section is 8 units in area. Beam 3 is an I-beam with thickness in 1 everywhere. Beam 4 is the H-beam which is the same in cross-section as Beam 3. Which beam is the strongest?   2 Answers
    • You have a billboard made of Al which is fixed to the wall as a cantilever beam. How to make the billboard stronger?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2019.

Interview

Phone screen with recuiter with basic behavioral questions. Then onsite interview with hiring manager and members of the team. Recuiter was very responsive throughout the process. Onsite went over resume stuff and was asked basic thermal and beam theory questions.

Interview Questions

• Basic thermal and beam theory questions   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruiter called to provide information and helped arrange interview. Then phone interview with person from the team. The recruiter was very informative and helpful. The person from the team was also nice and was nice to talk to.

Interview Questions

• How remove or reduce deflection of a beam that is hanging.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA) in November 2019.

Interview

There were three phone screens and then an on-site interview. Questions weren't that hard. The group design review is extremely difficult. If you can get friends to review your design of something. Have them interrupt you, graph stuff, question you, etc.

Interview Questions

• Basic mechanics, thermal propgation from GPU and CPU, Spatial awareness questions (like how do you know that this door opens outward?), and more   1 Answer