Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 10, 2017

3.6

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Had a phone interview and talked a lot about my portfolio projects. They were more interested in specific engineering challenges that I faced when building my projects. Asked some technical questions about manufacturing processes.

Interview Questions

• Show me the back of an iPhone and asked me how it might have been manufactured.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2016.

Interview

This was for the Soft Goods team. Had a quick chat with a recruiter then had a phone interview with an engineer. Got asked some weird questions about quality control even though that's not my area. Interview went well seeing how they gave me a design challenge for the next interview phase.

Overall, Apple is very secretive and it seems like they keep you at arms length away from them. During the whole process it was difficult to gauge how I was doing during the entire process and they didn't provide very much feedback.

Interview Questions

• There is a refrigerator in a perfectly insulated room. The door is then opened. Is it an open or closed system? After a long time has passed, has the temperature in the room increased or decreased?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two phone screens, two on-sites, the second on-site is a design challenge. The design challenge is to design a battery door for iPod. The position is for the Apple watch team.

Interview Questions

• Showed me a luxury watch, asked me what can cause the sapphire screen to crack   1 Answer
    • Drew me a wrench on a nut, asked me which way to apply force on the wrench is better, push or pull   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Interview

Had 2 rounds of phone interview. First with an HR and with project hiring manager. Interview with HR took about 20 minutes. She talked about the company and the position. Then did 30 minutes phone interview with the project manger and was asked about some project experiences.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

Round 1: Phone interview with recruiter. Recruiter asked some general questions about my background and details to set up round 2.
    Round 2. Interview with Technical Manager. Was asked additional questions about my background and answered my questions about Apple
    Round 3: Design Challenge: A design prompt was given with a specific problem but very general requirements (presumably to gauge your approach and creativity). I created CAD models, FEA, and engineering analyses in a presentation that I sent them
    Round 4: On site: I was interviewed by the Senior Recruiter, three PDEs, a manager, a director, two senior designers, and the technical manager from round 2. During lunch, I had to present my design challenge which was dissected in detail. Interview questions ranged from my background to previous projects to engineering questions to test general engineering knowledge.

All in all, it was a very thorough.

Interview Questions

• Describe a previous project you've worked on.   1 Answer
    • What are 5 different variables of a coil spring you can change to affect spring force?   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Contacted recruiter directly on LinkedIn, followed by a technical phone interview. The interview manager seemed to be in a hurry, called 10 minutes late and kept saying that he has just 10 minutes to finish the interview. Not much time was given to answer the questions. So in just 10 minutes - he told me about the team and work, asked me several questions, and let me ask questions.

Interview Questions

• - How will you reduce the deflection of a wooden beam with load at one end and fixed at other?
      - Beam material replaced with Aluminum and load is same, how will you find the point of failure?
      - 5 methods to join plastic and metal components.
      3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Two Skype interviews and they flew me in for on-campus interview. The apple travel services was very convenient. Two of the interviewers had to leave on a last minute trip so I only had 6 people to interview.

Almost everyone were nice and friendly, interview is very casual and comforting. People are super busy there and you can totally fell that they want to get out of this interview room and back to work.
    The interview goes to very basic physics questions. Don't waste your time preparing for a professional question.

Interview Questions

• Two Glass sheets are attached to each other using adhesive material, The combination is siting on two points of contact at both ends ( one rolling and one stationary ), We are applying a vertical force F to the center of top glass and combination deflects. How do we reduce the deflection?   1 Answer
    • We are throwing a ball into a friction-less cone, what should be the initial speed of the ball so it can orbit around the vertical axis of the cone indefinitely?   2 Answers
    • We have a cup of hot coffee and a small cold milk out of the fridge. The room temperature is in between these two. When should we add milk to coffee to get the coolest combination earliest ( at the beginning, in the middle, or at the end)?   2 Answers
    • How do you do the sampling on mass manufacturing process?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I've dealt with three HR people from Apple and two were very forgetful and unknowledgable and were unprofessional at times and I paid for it. The good one prepared you as to who you were going to meet and did what they said they were going to do. Kept communication and time commitments.

Interview Questions

• Depends on the group but I observed several people asking other people for a question, brain teaser, to ask an interviewee. It was to gather knowledge it was just something to do to look like they prepared. They really didn't care, like their opinion didn't matter anyway. It was obnoxious.   Answer Question

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

1 onsite at school, then 14 interviews onsite. Really put me through my paces, in everything from optimization all the way to doing heat transfer and dynamics problems as well as more generic questions. It was pretty fun! Definitely more exciting than some of the more generic and silly questions that we've been talking about.

Interview Questions

• What I would be most afraid of in my new job   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I got contacted by a recruiter that I met at a career fair, and had a couple phone interviews. After two phone interviews with two people on the PD team, I did not end up getting another round. I was not prepared for the questions they were going to ask me. I definitely should have prepared more because they try to stump you. They asked me some behavioral questions like what are your 3 biggest weaknesses as and engineer, as well as hard technical ones that I could have answered by reading off a table from a textbook. In fact, I indicated that I could look it up, and got scolded as I was informed that that was not the point of this technical interview. So word of advice: Ask politely before any technical questions if its okay to look something up, or just don't look stuff up. The advice that I got from them afterward was that they just want to see my process, so always explain your thoughts.

Interview Questions

• If you had a string and wrapped tightly around the world and you wanted to lift it up 1 m off the ground everywhere, how much would the string have to stretch?   1 Answer
    • Rank the following metals in order of decreasing thermal conductivity: Silver, Ice, copper, air, steel, aluminum.   1 Answer
    • If you had steel, stainless steel, and aluminum on the table, how would you tell them apart?   1 Answer
    • Tell us about the hardest technical challenge you had to solve.   Answer Question
    • What is the hottest part of the Macintosh?   1 Answer