Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Product Design Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

The process started with a non-technical phone screen with a recruiter. Then I spoke to a member of the team I was interviewing for. Then I was assigned a design challenge, which can be found online if you search for it. After that was submitted, someone gave me questions to answer about my challenge and areas to improve it, then I resubmitted it. After that, if they like your presentation, they will bring you in to present and interview in person. Overall, the process requires a lot of work, but they move very quickly, which I appreciated.

Interview Questions

• What kind of plastic would you use for an electronic housing?   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

Three phone calls, one in person panel interview, recruiter was very flexible with my schedule for setting up interviews but in general the process wasn't terribly transparent, I didn't know what my next steps would be throughout the process nor how long it would end up taking.

Interview Questions

• Beam bending and manufacturing experience   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Had a phone interview and talked a lot about my portfolio projects. They were more interested in specific engineering challenges that I faced when building my projects. Asked some technical questions about manufacturing processes.

Interview Questions

• Show me the back of an iPhone and asked me how it might have been manufactured.   8 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

Two phone screens, two on-sites, the second on-site is a design challenge. The design challenge is to design a battery door for iPod. The position is for the Apple watch team.

Interview Questions

• Showed me a luxury watch, asked me what can cause the sapphire screen to crack   2 Answers
    • Drew me a wrench on a nut, asked me which way to apply force on the wrench is better, push or pull   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple in September 2018.

Interview

Recruiter reached out with job opportunity. He set up technical call with an engineer on the team. Interviewer was very courteous and knowledgeable. Asked questions that truly exposed my knowledge and application of strength of materials.

Interview Questions

• What are you passionate about?   Answer Question
    • If there is a diving board, how would you half the deflection?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2018.

Interview

Sent my portfolio thru campus recuiters and get several interviews from different teams. Most of the first round is for screening, some of HRs asked brainteaser questions or behavioral/technical questions but they were very easy to answer, and it seemed that HRs expected more from creativity rather than correct answer.
    Then I went for design challenge, very thorough analysis of the product I designed.
    Then onsite, haven't finished yet .

Interview Questions

• there's a room with lots of balloons filled with He, how to break them all. Name as much methos as possible   Answer Question
    • 6 ways to reduce cantilever beam deflection   Answer Question
    • physical meaning of the area moment of inertia   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Apple (San Jose, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

After the manager interview, meet the group team.
    I spend around 45 mins each memeber, and meet the 5 members
    Interview question was related the their position skills,and some IQ test.

Interview Questions

• They ask how do I reslove the realistic situation of the Product failure issue. Ask about the think layer injection mold, and sheet metal process.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Detroit, MI) in October 2017.

Interview

Applied through a campus visit, and got an on-campus interview at the next day. He was not interested to go over the design and he talked directly about questions. I didn't have enough preparation for that one so that I didn't get it.

Interview Questions

• What are possible mechanical tests that you can do in order to measure a battery synthesized state?   1 Answer

Product Design Engineer Interview

Interview

Super quick and painless. On campus interview and two phone screens, and that was it. I had an offer relatively quickly. They really didn't waste any time at all. I've heard that they usually give on-sites for full time. This was for a co-op.

Interview Questions

• What's the most important consideration when designing a product?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was informed about the position by a graduate school friend of mine. I sent my resume and was contacted by a HR for a short phone chat. I was then contacted by two members of the product design team for a technical interview. I was then given a design challenge and submitted my solution. Then they invited me to Cupertino for interviews and for presenting my solution to the design challenge.