Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

The whole process moved pretty quickly. After HR phone call and one phone interview, I was invited to Apple campus for the onsite interview. The onsite interview consists of four 1-on-1 technical interviews and one lunch interview with the hiring manager. All the interviewers were friendly and knowledgeable in their domains. They showed interest in my knowledge and skill; the questions asked were well-thought-out, and relevant to the position requirements.

I really liked the streamlined logistics, such as, one phone interview, booking on appletravel, and per diem reimbursement. It gave interview candidates more options and flexibility.

1 week later, I followed up and was told that there was no offer. Nonetheless, it was generally a positive experience.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Wa supposed to be a exploratory call but turned out to be a tech screen. The Recruiter was very friendly and helpful. There were three Questions from Hacker Rank to solve in 30 mins.

There are n people standing in line to buy show tickets. Due to High Demand, The Venue sells tickets according to the following rules:

Interview Questions

• We express the initial line of n people as an array, tickets = [ticket(0),ticket(1),...,ticket(n-1)] where each tickers, denotes the number of tickets that person i wishes to buy. If Jesse is located at postion p. How many seconds will it take for him to purchase the tickets.

For example if tickets = [1,2,5] and p=1 the first five
      Following rules should apply:
      1.The person at the head of the line can by exactly one ticket and must exit the line
      2.If a person needs to purchase additional tickets, they must re-enter the end of the line in wait to be sold the next ticket (assume exit and re-entry takes 0 seconds)
      3.Each ticket sale dates exactly one second.

Find the time taken   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter for applying to a conference. Scheduled a phone interview that week. I thought I did well, but I never heard back. I emailed the recruiter back-- no response.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2017.

Interview

Was scheduled for phone screen directly from a manager. Was told someone by X would call for a screening, but some random person called and asked me go to this link and start solving this problem, very rude. Though I Solved the problem.
    No response from anybody yet
    When I can set aside sometime for the interview, they should have the courtesy to ATLEAST reply.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I interviewed with one of the OS platform teams for a Sr. Developer role. I was reached out by a recruiter on LinkedIn since I had experience in the domain. After a few back and forth emails with the recruiter, I had a call with him where we talked about my experience, projects, etc. Then he set up a call with the hiring manager, who asked more in depth questions related to my domain. Nothing very difficult. Then he said they wanted to fly me down to Cupertino for the on-site, which would take approximately half a day.

I went to Cupertino, where I had an initial HR interview, 4 technical interviews and a lunch interview. All the technical interviews were 2:1.

Most questions involved coding and we're problems related to my domain, not the usual DS/algorithm questions. I answered all of them. There were also some leadership questions thrown in.

I answered all of them. I see the interviewers nodding along, saying things like 'Good job!', 'When you join our team, you should do <>'...

So I am getting really positive vibes here. I finish up the interviews around 3 pm, then see the recruiter who tells me will need to fly in for another interview with their director. I tell him okay and go home.

I keep checking my phone. No call or email. After 4 days, I emailed the recruiter, when I get an email saying​ that the team is interviewing other candidates who are more suitable for the role.

Overall, it was an okay experience. But I am disappointed because I performed well, kept getting positive vibes and then .... nothing.

The good thing is they reimbursed my expenses pretty quickly.

Interview Questions

• Questions related to your domain. Apple hires subject matter expert.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a design decision where you messed up and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Got contacted by an Apple recruiter via Linkedin. He set up a call to talk about the position and my background. He was 30 minutes late for the call. After we had the call, he told me to send him his CV so he can send it to the hiring manager of the open position. When I did it, he replied with a confirmation that he received it and had forwarded to the proper team, and he will get back to me once he hear back from the hiring manager. That was a week ago. I do not understand why the recruiters try to poach engineers and later don't follow up, specially because my Linkedin profile and CV are perfectly in sync. So no room for surprise once I sent my CV over.

Interview Questions

• Questions about my experience.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

It was a single day interview. Four sessions, each was 45 minutes. Each one had a pair of interviewers. The final session was with a pair of managers. The first three were technical.

Interview Questions

• Draw and discuss the graphics pipeline.   2 Answers
    • Implement methods to translate and rotate a transformation matrix   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple in September 2016.

Interview

Apple have a job fare for collect the resume and background checking for next in house interview. It did not last for a long time, just about 15 minutes for overall. general question about what you did in daily working, and several technical questions.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple in March 2014.

Interview

I was contacted by the recruiter.I had two telephonic interviews and then a day long onsite interview.
    All of it went very well. The HR provided positive feedback after the interview, but later changed to negative and there was no offer

Interview Questions

• Mostly related to projects. Then a lot of debugging related questions. C++ upcasting and downcasting question, os concepots   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in April 2018.

Interview

An apple recruiter reached out to me and asked for my resume, after about a month I got an email from one of the recruiters asking for a technical phone interview time slot. I was then scheduled for a 45-minute phone interview.
    The interviewer focussed on Java and asked me several questions about core APIs and internals of Java. This also including writing some code on a shared online tool. The interview ended before 30 minutes and I was in a confused state of mind as to why that happened.

The next week I received an email from the recruiter saying that I did well and they would like to invite me for a day of onsite interviews.

After reading some of the interview experiences in here, I thought of giving it my best shot and hence asked the recruiter for two weeks of preparation time.

I focussed on problem-solving every day from Leetcode, I used to ensure that I would solve at least 5 of them every day : 3 easy and 2 medium with some days taking a dig at the hard ones too. I also revised all the Java fundamentals, threading, concurrency, collections and popular interview questions. Since I was interviewing for an experienced position I was expecting the interview to not just be focussed on Algorithms and Data Structures.

The interview process is stressful and fairly long. 10 Am - 5:00 ish, almost one complete work day! You probably will lose the count of the number of people you have met throughout the day in the end as there are 8-9 rounds of 45 minutes each with different members of the team from all levels, ranging from engineers, senior engineers, leads, to engineering managers to directors.

You should expect that 90% of the interviews will be very technical in nature. You will be asked to explain your project in clear terms and they will ask you questions about your design and architectural decisions and how you could have improved them. They will also ask you to justify key terms and projects on your resume.

REST API design philosophy, best practices, versioning, and designing a set of APIs from given use cases.

Ensure that you are comfortable and play well on a whiteboard. A lot of it is involved. You will be asked to draw various project designs/architectures and solve algorithmic/DS questions (they are easy/medium level from Leetcode, Hackerrrank etc). You should know your data structures well and should be able to apply them effectively to solve the problem at hand. Also, understand the time and space complexity of your solution and how to improve on them. There will be at least one or two system design interviews where you might be asked to design a popular social media app/website like Instagram or Facebook.

Try to build up enough knowledge about Collections, Spring framework, Garbage collection etc.

If you are a JAVA / OOP person, you will be asked OOAD questions and you have to come up with class diagrams and object interaction to justify the requirements of the use case.

Try to show them why you are passionate about Apple, why do you think you want to join them, what value you will bring to them, etc (typical behavioral questions).

Be very confident about what you put on your resume; the interviewers are very smart to find out if you lack confidence or lie on your resume. Be prepared to explain each and every word with examples. They are hiring you as an FTE, they need to verify your genuineness.

Overall, although it was an enervating series of interviews.(I personally have never faced such so many back to back interviews), when I analyzed each and every round, I had good reason to believe that I had done very well.

After a day, the recruiter called and gave me the good news!

Interview Questions

• Due to NDA, I am not going to disclose any. I have given general guidelines about how you should prepare. Doing Leetcode "regularly" helps!   Answer Question

Negotiation

They have a flat base, but the sign on bonus and stocks are good. Some amount of negotiation is possible.