Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple in August 2020.

Interview

I was interviewing for Apple Pay. I applied for the role online. I got an email to start my interview process. The hiring manager reached out to schedule an interview with Apple Pay team. I had my first manager round.
We started with his background and what the team does, then moved on my experience and background.
At every point, he would stop me and ask to clarify or prove that I worked on it. He would not go deep into the technical details but ask mainly Java, Spring and other technology based question that team used.
Initially, we started with basic reactive vs functional.
have you used it? which language? then he would google and ask questions from library documentation

Spring based questions which were then followed by any random Spring injection
I was asked if I had used @Transactional? - No
Can you tell me the internal working of it? - I haven't used it or heard about it how do I tell you the internal working?
Can you tell me how @Transactional helps with concurrent execution of multiple scripts? - I told him i am taking a guess and it turned out to be right, he did not feel well, so to took a deeper stab at it, and turne out more of my guesses were right.
In the end, he switched to asking questions about kafka, I had experience in kafka, I mentioned that so he asked a couple of questions and I gave him deeper understanding of it, he wasn't happy if my answers were correct, neither would he ack the answer

Then he started bragging about why he dislikes Spring or Spring Boot and he encourages (more like forces) his team to use Java and open standards. He did show some dislike to a few of his team members who used Go.
Then we started explaining himself as a Manager who believes in Open standard and not reliant on a particular framework. But minutes back he only showed interest in Java and uses Spring but dislikes Spring boot, kinda weird

He wasn't interested in my experience but is just looking for a Java geek and who can validate his theories
Overall did not like his interview style, he was kind of a dork and had no courtesy while talking. No justifications for his theories or answers. No respect for his team members, let alone people interviewing

Interview Questions

• Reactive vs functional
    when do you use reactive?
    examples of reactive and it's internal working
    what are reactive streams?
    Spring Boot- why do you use it?
    Java 8 questions
    Major advantages of java 8?
    @Transaction in Spring?
    Internal working of @Transactional
    Why use Spring Boot?
    What are the open standards for Java?
    Open standards for Rest call? - what's the exact name of this standard IEEE ??
    what's the api standard for financial transactions?
    internal details of this api standard? & why is it present?
    beanfactory vs applicationcontext?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Mateo, CA

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple (San Mateo, CA) in June 2020.

Interview

Applied online and got an email from the recruiter the next day for my availability. I gave my schedule but the recruiter scheduled a time that was not what I provided, but since it worked for me I accepted. The meeting was scheduled with 3 interviewers. Since I had not spoken to the recruiter, I emailed her and asked her the scope of the interview. But to my surprise I did not hear from the recruiter. Sent another email CCin the recruitment coordinator asking if they are proceeding with the scheduled interview and I got a response from the RC saying that the interview is still on. But, still no response from the recruiter or what to expect for the interview. On the telephonic interview day one of the interviewer called and said that the other 2 won’t be joining. I was asked about my background and some details on my current project. I thought it went well. But it has been 3weeks since then. I haven’t heard from the recruiter. I didn’t bother to ask her either. It’s such a shame that the recruiting team gets away with such antics. I’ve never had an experience where the recruiter not respond to you even before the interview. Well there is first for everything

Interview Questions

• Dive into the current projects that I’m working on   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

1 phone interview, and 4 rounds interview onsite.
    The recruiter didn’t tell any information about the interview. Not even how many rounds onsite.
    The interviewers are not well prepared. They booked a room without camera, while having the interviewer conducting remotely. Interviewers in different round asked similar questions.
    But those are not the worst part of the whole experience.

What annoyed me most is they won’t even let you know the result.
    I interviewed on Tuesday, and the recruiter said she will get back to me by Friday. A week later, I didn’t hear from her. I asked her gently in email, she said something delayed, and will let me know in another a few days. Still no response in a week. I asked again, and she said she needed another week to finalize the result. And I am now still waiting.

It’s OK being rejected. But apple’s recruiter won’t even let you know the result. I can’t believe it happened in Apple. I can’t imagine what the comps culture would be like in Apple, if they don’t even show a little bit respect to the candidates, by telling them the results.

I will never apply any position in Apple anymore.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2020.

Interview

Open position in Search team.
    Had two telephonic coding rounds before being called for onsite interview.
    1st telephonic round coding question like Tree Serialize and deserialize, follow up question can the serialize string output be further compressed (which I didn’t have much time) . Then got an email from recruiter saying they want to have one more telephonic online coding round. In the second round coding problem asked was 3 sum problem with target equal to 0 and follow up was to find all possible combinations of subsets which equals target sum. Later next day got email from recruiter saying team wants to move forward with onsite interview.

All the communication with regards to scheduling or any updates is done via email recruiter didn’t call to inform or have even the initial introductory call.

Onsite interview email didn’t have any details apart from location and from and to time and hr contact name. Onsite interview every person who interview will give a coding question
    1st round - with Engineer question like How will you identify performance problem in java application and one coding question

2nd round- with Engineer coding question like given k sorted lists get top n elements based on search score (like merge k sorted lists and select top n elements)

3rd round - with head of the team asked some general questions and then asked couple of questions like dfs coding and how to generate synonyms for search query (this question is very vague basically idea is to look at the log or user interactions in given user session time like say 10 sec and use that info to generate synonyms)

4th round lunch round with entire team , felt like they were trying to access if the potential candidate fits in the team dynamic

5th round with hiring manager general info about company and team praising about the company and informing that the potential candidate that it’s not 9-5 job and later asked coding question like sort 3 unique numbers (hint 2 pointers)

6th round with Engineer asked about coding problem like k dimensional tree or point problem not able to recollect

7th round with Engineer started to explain about employee org chat problem what data structure and if employee view manager (direct or in direct like skip level) then the profile should be colored red, if manager views direct or indirect reportee then profile color should be green else for other case blue color. Need to code data preprocessing and other logic

Next couple of day later got email from recruiter informing about team passing.

Interview Questions

• Tree serialization and deserialization follow up compress serialize string output   2 Answers
    • 3 sum problem with target sum zero and follow up find all susbset combinations which equals to target sum zero   1 Answer
    • Merge k sorted lists and find top n elements based on search scores   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2020.

Interview

Great tour of Apple Campus in Cupertino. Consisting of 5 interviews including a lunch interview. It wasn't a very stressful interview, while I thought I did well, did not receive and offer. Make sure you study up on Apple culture and come prepared with ideas on what to add to the product you are working on.

Interview Questions

• What features would you add to Siri? Several standard system design questions. One leetcode easy question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA) in September 2019.

Interview

Highly competitive process that requires expert knowledge of subject. Helps to have 10+ years and have lots of questions to ask. Interview is not too long and is used as a gauge to see if the company wants to move along with the process.

Interview Questions

• What improvement do you see making to the company?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2019.

Interview

Multiple phone screens then full day on sites. Whiteboard coding and system design with pairs of engineers, one of which took the lead. Fairly open ended questions.

Interview Questions

• Software system design and whiteboard coding.   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in September 2018.

Interview

One phone call with the hiring manager talking about your resume and some domain knowledge and one phone call with the engineer on the team for coding interview. It is interesting to talk to them and they are pretty nice.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in September 2018.

Interview

Pretty smooth with good questions in general. I successfully come to the second round and finally get accepted. The experience is smooth. I really enjoy it. I have lunch there and the food is delicious. I really like it.

Interview Questions

• implement backtracking problem.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2018.

Interview

Recruiter contacted me from my profile in their DB, can't say when they had my resume, it was dated. I was passed around multiple recruiters, and each one stopped at the telephone/coding stage.

Interview Questions

• I wouldn't share the question since I did accept their confidentiality agreement. But let me say, I was asked to solve a problem that in its crude implementation would give O(n^2). The interviewer accepted it to be a fair solution but wanted to know how I could convert that to O(1). I did. Based on a reasonably well known solution that is pretty similar to an LRU Cache that you can look up on the internet. I emphasized *how* the solution is O(1). Now, either you can have a difference of opinion, but to rule that solution out, and provide a negative feedback to the recruiter, without opening your mind up for other possible solutions, my past experiences, my potential to think out of the box (even if you think that was not in your line of thinking and hence not an acceptable solution), shame on you. You are Apple, and you supposedly think out of the box. Terribly disappointed. That round should have easily taken me to campus interview, but didn't happen.   2 Answers