Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Jan 16, 2017

3.3

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple in September 2016.

Interview

Apple have a job fare for collect the resume and background checking for next in house interview. It did not last for a long time, just about 15 minutes for overall. general question about what you did in daily working, and several technical questions.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2016.

Interview

A friend submitted my to Apple HR. The HR person email me to set up the first phone interview with a manager. The first one went well and the HR person then setup a second phone interview with another manager and said it will take 45 minutes for technical assessment. The second one also went well but haven't heard any thing from Apple yet (after one day).

Interview Questions

• They verified my work at the last company and fired questions focusing on problem-solving questions. They had follow-up questions to try to understand more about what I was doing in the last job. The second manager made sure I understood the job duties and requirements and what I will do if got hired.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Contacted by the recruiter via email, followed by two separate phone calls with someone from engineering. Both conversations involved writing quite a bit of code for most of the hour. After that, I was invited on-site for a full day of fun and games. The day started at 10 am and finished at 5 pm. I interviewed with 9 people that day, 7 out of the 9 were technical. The others were more cultural/behavioral. It was a rough day. We went through all of the well known data structures in every way possible -- and more than once. Trees, lists, queues, stacks, heaps, hash tables, you name it. Traverse them, search them, reverse then, populate them, rearrange them, make them thread-safe. Use recursion. Use iteration. By the end of the day, I felt like I had taken 3 SAT's back-to-back. Frankly, I'd categorize most of the coding problems that I received as medium in difficulty but the challenge was in the sheer quantity of them. Personality types varied widely over the course of the day. Some people were more intense than others. On the whole, I walked away feeling like I know what the hardest software interview in the valley is like now. The recruiter got back to me within a few days and informed me that the feedback was positive and that they wanted to schedule a final conversation between me and one of the execs. After that, they made me an offer. I assume that the mileage varies as far as interviews go, depending on which team you're talking to. I wasn't expecting the gauntlet to this degree, although that's probably a good thing, because if I did know what was waiting for me, I'm not so sure that I would have had the confidence to go in there. Software is hard, but writing software under pressure, knowing that a job offer (that you presumably want) is on the line is a different ball game entirely. Know your data structures, people. Know your algorithms. Know the Big-O complexities of everything that you write, both spacial and computational. If you don't, you will bleed. The good news is that making it through the coding part of the interview is very possible for most people who are willing to set aside 30 minutes every day to practice.

Interview Questions

• Signed an NDA, so I'm going to abstain, but if you regularly practice your data structures and algorithms, you will be fine. The key is to *regularly* practice.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I had a phone interview and then onsite.

Phone interview was pretty straight forward. The onsite interview questions were easy too. For design question I didnt had too much familiarity with Hadoop, but the interviewer was very fixated with asking me about the internals of Hadoop.

It was a very pathetic experience. He was busy with his own work on laptop and was not paying any attention to what I was saying.

In all the interviews I found them to be very unwelcoming. The environment inside the office was gloomy and totally uncool.

Overall had a very negative experience and would never like to work here.

Interview Questions

• How will you sort a file, terabytes in size in Hadoop.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2016.

Interview

I was contacted by recruiter and then phone screen by manager. Few days later recruiter told me manager was showing interest so scheduled on site. On site is 1:1 with 8 people. Mostly asking about my previous projects and designs as this role requires a specific in depth hands on experience in this domain. They also asked questions on multi threading and few coding questions. It was not that difficult. I could able to answer all of them. If you are attending interviews with other tech companies like Google, Facebook etc.. then this is not that hard. What I felt was repetition, need to explain same stuff over and over to many people. However I could able to meet few wonderful persons. But at the end I didn't meet the director, which is a sign of rejection I guess. After a week I got a message from recruiter they are not proceeding with my application. It's a surprise to me as I've more experience than this role requires and answered all questions to the best of the my knowledge. Perhaps they are looking for less experience candidates not a technical leader.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

The interview process and notification of the decision was very unprofessional. Even though correct solutions were provided for all questions asked, no reason was given for the final outcome. It seemed like it was already decided that the hiring decision will not be in the affirmative irrespective of interview performance.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Los Angeles, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Contacted on LinkedIn by recruiter with @apple.com email address. A phone interview was set up for the following week.
    During the phone interview with the Apple I was asked about my previous and current work experience. Interviewer dug into several advanced topics in detail to make sure I was not padding my 'resume' by just throwing in keywords. He then jumped into a quick C++ quiz to check that I know my C++ . I'm very competent in C++ but he used some terminology that not everyone might be familiar with when describing certain design patterns.
    Never heard back from either Apple or recruiter. I pinged the recruiter after the interview for some feedback and he never responded. I feel that is quite unprofessional since he contacted me.

Interview Questions

• What is "static polymorphism" in C++   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Technical phone screen. Question on hashing, Java fundamentals. Was a bit taken a back I was 100% CLEAR before the interview I hadn't done Java in 10 years, and was said that would be fine. Yet the interviewer asked very specific Java question, even to the point of being silly (what does finalize do)....What was interesting is I answered them all, and all questions correctly. But was told the next day by HR I wasn't a fit. Which was weird. All the questions were technically which I answered correctly.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in September 2015.

Interview

Started from HR person and met about 5-6 more people. Unlike other people say, I had interview with one person at a time. It was all day process and at the end of a day, I was really tired but it was worth. You can learn a lot from interview about what they do and what they expect.

Interview Questions

• one was about locking in multi threads and one was about array. A few of them focused on debugging process that you had to learn from your experience. It was better for me since I didn't spend much time on studying typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through Apple Careers site and I recevied a call from recruiter and was setup for a telephonic interview.
    The first telephonic interview went well most questions on Data structures, Threading, Core Java.
    I received a positive feedback and second round was scheduled.
    In second round the interviewer didn't called up on the mentioned time and I had to reach recruiter fo r the update, then i received a call after hour hour and the interviewer was very busy in wrapping up the interview looking a reason to reject and with just 3 basic questions he wrapped up the interview.
    I am not sure how would a person would evaluate with just 3 questions, which i answered correctly.
    After that i did not received any call from recruiter and when I tried to reach her she told me that the position was already filled. So why in first place they setup the interview if they had already filled up the position. It was a completed waste of time and efforts.

Interview Questions

• sort binary array with minimum time complexity   3 Answers