Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Senior Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 13, 2017

3.2

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in September 2015.

Interview

Started from HR person and met about 5-6 more people. Unlike other people say, I had interview with one person at a time. It was all day process and at the end of a day, I was really tired but it was worth. You can learn a lot from interview about what they do and what they expect.

Interview Questions

• one was about locking in multi threads and one was about array. A few of them focused on debugging process that you had to learn from your experience. It was better for me since I didn't spend much time on studying typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple in September 2015.

Interview

I applied through Apple Careers site and I recevied a call from recruiter and was setup for a telephonic interview.
    The first telephonic interview went well most questions on Data structures, Threading, Core Java.
    I received a positive feedback and second round was scheduled.
    In second round the interviewer didn't called up on the mentioned time and I had to reach recruiter fo r the update, then i received a call after hour hour and the interviewer was very busy in wrapping up the interview looking a reason to reject and with just 3 basic questions he wrapped up the interview.
    I am not sure how would a person would evaluate with just 3 questions, which i answered correctly.
    After that i did not received any call from recruiter and when I tried to reach her she told me that the position was already filled. So why in first place they setup the interview if they had already filled up the position. It was a completed waste of time and efforts.

Interview Questions

• sort binary array with minimum time complexity   3 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Fairly standard one full day of interviews, plus lunch with one of the team members. Met with most team members, as well as manager and director. Questions spans across experience and technical. The position was for an operations role, so technical questions focused more on scripting and troubleshooting. Interviewers were all friendly and food was great as always.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online. Got recruiter contact me the next day. Had a little conversation about my current work, and expected salary. Hiring manager called me 2 days later to discuss my background and the position he is trying to fill. Recruiter called back saying manager likes me and would like to give me a little coding challenge to complete at home. The question was easy to do (I do that type of coding every day at my current job). Recruiter phoned back with positive feedback and scheduled onsite on Monday. Met with 9 team members including hiring manager and his boss. Mostly conversation on technical questions and behavioral questions, some reasonable whiteboard coding problem but no BS. Offer came in on Tuesday. Quite a generous offer beats my other offers in hand by A LOT. Tried to negotiate a little more but couldn't.

Interview Questions

• Give a list of parenthesis symbols like [,],{,},(,) in a string. ex "{[[(}[}])", write a program to return True if the symbols are complete. i.e. "{}" is True, "}{" is False.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2015.

Interview

A couple of phone screens (one of which covered some Objective-C fundamentals.). Spent a day doing on-site interviews. Initial part of the day I had to give a prepared presentation to all of the interviewers which talked about my background. The remainder of the day was 2:1 technical interviews.

Interview Questions

Have not declined or accepted. Process is still under way.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

- 2 rounds of phone technical interviews
    - 6 rounds of on-site interview
    - each round of on-site interview is one hour with 2 engineers +/- manager
    - one round involves actually coding on the laptop depending on the hiring team
    - on-site interview is well organized with team lunch by the team and recruiter.

Interview Questions

• - mostly job related questions
      - Designing using OO concepts
      - solving simple coding puzzles but lot of grilling on bug-free code and with all test cases are covered
      - Mid level game design with pseudo code

In all rounds, coding speed is measured and compared with young engineers of less than 30yrs old

I saw most(70%+) of engineers are 20-something in the cafetaria.

It's obvious that apple is looking for young and fast coders !

All mangers are in mid to late thirties though.
      tip: Having connections can help you land on the job.
      1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

Phone screen followed by half day of interviews (5 people). Did 6 coding samples on the white board. Interviewed with hiring manager; 2 peers; and 2 members from teams I would have been working with.

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Not the positive experience I was hoping for, given such a fantastic brand. I've done lots of interviews during my career. I passed several very difficult ones, whch were also pleasant experiences. But never before have I interviewed with such pompous and inhospitable people as this one. The hiring manager, with whom I began the interview, was pretty rude. A couple of things he said led me to believe that he had already made his mind up before I sat down. I think I did rather well with the questions, solving, coding and testing them early, leaving time to discuss upgrades. But I guess you never can tell what's going on behind clsed doors. I went on to get offers from Microsoft and Google, so I'm not too bothered.

Interview Questions

• I signed an NDA, so I decline to provide details of interview questions   1 Answer

Senior Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Phone screen with hiring manager followed by two rounds of on sites. Everyone was very friendly and I had some very interesting discussions. The primary focus appears to be fit rather than evaluating technical chops. Even the recruiter was very prompt and kept me updated throughout the process unlike a lot of pikers who disappear as soon as something goes wrong.

The one big concern was that everyone I spoke to implied being overworked. Yet when asked they all felt that this was not affecting their work/life balance?!

Interview Questions

• Interview was not difficult; standard programming questions. No brain teasers, infantile expectations of on-the-spot discovery of supra-optimal solutions to unheard of problems etc. Instead expect your resume to be endlessly dissected and get a barrage of behavioral questions.   Answer Question

I was told to expect an offer but never received one. I was told that the requisition I had applied against was withdrawn. I was left hanging for months and finally gave up. Not sure what to make of this but it caused an otherwise positive experience to end with a bad taste in the mouth.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Santa Clara, CA) in November 2014.

Interview

The posting was for a skilled Objective-C engineer with experience developing SDKs and frameworks.

Had a few phone interviews with the in-house recruiter and the hiring manager, these went well. I was scheduled to have a follow-up phone interview with one of the lead engineers, however an emergency conflict came up and he needed to reschedule. I was coincidentally scheduled to travel to Apple for an on-side interview with another group in a few days so we coopted the trip, splitting the interviews with the two groups over two days. This interview review is related to the first day/group only. I'll post a separate review for the second day/group later.

The engineers, the manager, and the recruiter were all very friendly, easy to converse with. The knowledge-based programming questions were difficult but manageable -- several pertained to nonatomic/atomic properties, retain cycles, some bitwise operations, and delegates vs. blocks vs. notifications. The coding questions primarily related to data structures and optimization, with a little UI coding towards the end.

By the end of the day I was exhausted and more than a little demoralized. I should've performed better. I had a few shining moments, but these were overshadowed by some glaring gaps in my memory on some of the early basics of data structures and algorithms. I left them with the impression that I was really more of a framework *consumer* than a competent framework *author*, and that I wasn't really ready for the challenges that this posting entails.

Nevertheless, the engineers and the manager were stellar. They were friendly, not dismissive, and helpful particularly when I was flailing. I would've been honored to work with all of them.

Interview Questions

• Given a histogram data representation, how would you find the adjacent bars/columns that collectively yield a rectangle with the largest coverage area.   1 Answer
    • Given a string of words and a maxWidth, write a method that inserts new lines where appropriate to perform a word-wrap. (Wrap on word boundaries, assume " " is fine). Now, how does your implementation handle string with multiple spaces between words ... Are those extra spaces lost or preserved?   2 Answers
    • "What is the one question you wish I would've asked? What question are you sure to nail if I ask it right now?"   Answer Question