Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Around 2 months after I submitted my resume for Apple software engineer position, I got a call from the hiring manager. He asked me what was the good day for the interview. It took half day for meeting 5 people. It was long hour interview for me. Each interviewer spent ~ 30 minutes and asked ~ 4 questions. Each interviewer asked questions in the different areas.

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

definitely harder than my more standard interviews at other big companies (Facebook, microsoft). seemed more specific and hard to prepare for. interviewers knew their stuff and questions were specific to the role I interviewed for.

Interview Questions

• lots of specific memory management questions, C++ questions   1 Answer

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Applied on Campus, and had an interview the day after. Told that if a team is interested in hiring me, they will contact me directly. I told the engineer about my personal projects, and why I wanted to work at Apple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

Initially I received a call from a recruiter that found my profile on Linkedin. Then I had two technical phone interviews, with questions on my experience and about programming, data structures and algorithms. I one of them I had to connect to an online coding site to analyze and modify some code. Finally, I was invited to an onsite interview. There I met 9 people, including my recruiter, and was asked questions about programming and, mainly, solving problems in whiteboard. Some problems did not involve writing code, but sketching a solution on the board.

Interview Questions

• Questions about programming, data structures and algorithms. Also some questions related to skills necessary for the position and some others like why this position and what excites you, etc.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Apple in November 2016.

Interview

I applied online for a software engineer internship, and filled out their Apple profile with basic resume questions and preferences.
    They reached out to me for a phone interview which was specific to the team they matched me with based on my preferences.

Interview Questions

• Given a vector of integers, return true if each integer has a duplicate within the vector and false if not.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

A long phone call. Code question is simple. It's about designing a data structure. Besides, we talked a lot about my resume. I talked a lot of details on my former projects. And they gave me lots of time to ask them questions. Generally, it's very comfortable to talk with them.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1 phone interview, invited for the 1st round on-site interview.
    met 6 persons in a row for about 5 hours.
    but haven't met hiring manager and wasn't informed his name either before.
    I guess I impress them not that great but got positive response from most of them.
    a couple of coding questions were asked from almost every person.
    I have answered right for most of them, I realized one mistake approach for the last one after got home.
    Even though I'm a very strong programming guy for over 20+ years and top ranked in the team always,
    I understand a slight mistake might have influenced the situation in the inteview.

but I think this on-site interview process is rude and not respectful for the candidate.
    since I haven't see my hiring manager and chat at least for short time.

Interview Questions

• some basic string searching or reversing linked list.
      finding maximum sum in a row in the interger array (contains minus) - incorrect solution approach I made here
      3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in September 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for the Siri Server Engineer role.
    The hiring manager asked to make a rest application. After completing the project, they invited me for an onsite interview. I cleared by schedule accordingly. Just two days before the onsite interview, the recruiter asked me to give a phone screen. After the phone screen, they sent me a reject email and cancelled my travel arrangements. This impacted my current work schedule. This was a horrible experience for me and i hope nobody has to go through such last minute cancellations.

Interview Questions

• Design and implement a rest application
      Phone screen: algorithm question from leetcode
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an employee, and had a phone chat with the manager. This was followed by a phone screen, then a day with five 45 minute onsite interviews with lunch. Each interview was 2 on 1.

The process took three and a half months overall, but they assured me this was abnormally slow, due to WWDC and a large team reorg.

Good questions, interesting people and awesome discussions! I'd do it again just for fun!

Interview Questions

• A runtime has a struct Class { Class* super_class; struct { id_t method_name; void (*method_pointer); } methods*[]; }. How would you optimize for dynamic dispatch?

How do you familiarize yourself with a new, large codebase? How would you go about replacing a component in it?
      Answer Question

It turns out Apple corporate policy prohibits employees from programming anything outside work, even in their own personal time. No FOSS contributions, no hobby projects, no tech demos. What a sad life for a programmer...

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter and hating manager then an unperson 4 - 6 hour interview session on site. The on-site involved white boarding only. Some of the interviewers knew how to do that well with the interviewee, others did not. One interviewer took 10 mins of the 30 he had with me to describe a situation very specific to his job so he can set up a technical question, which wound up taking more time.

Interview Questions

• Started off with basic coding skills and then moved into algorithms and data structures: What's the best data structure to handle a stream of data from a twitter feed and partition the data in real time into buckets, then write the code to manages the data into buckets.   1 Answer