Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in August 2014.

Interview

The interview process was what you'd expect from a company like this. I have about three phone screens (all of them were technical and the last one included a code snippet), followed by an all day on-site interview.

The on-site consisted of one hour interviews every hour (11-5), and we're all very technical. I was asked to solve various problems (your typical algorithm and data structure subjects), as well as explain the various projects I worked on in my most recent position.

The questions involved a lot of thinking, but I was able to find my way to the solutions after some time.

All in all, I'd say it was too bad as I had prepared by practicing algorithms (searching, sorting, etc), and brushing up on some objective-c (I had to teach myself it in the two weeks leading up to the on-site).

A good topcoder browse is a good resource for preparing to interview with this company.

Interview Questions

• How would you speed up your typical bit reversal algorithm?   2 Answers

Negotiation

Very well organized and thought out. Excellent package.

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple in March 2013.

Interview

I was contacted by a Recruiter who set up a phone interview. They told me that it would be with the iCal / FaceTime team. They also mentioned that the internship would be focused around building prototypes of future versions of software.

Interview Questions

• Lots of OS type of questions. Explain semaphores, difference between thread/process, 64 vs 32 bit addressing.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

The phone interview wasn't exactly technical, I just spoke to the hiring manager and then was invited to an on-site interview. The on-site was a full day of about 5-6 technical interviews, with a few behavioral questions here and there. The technical questions related directly to the team's work
     and were not the typical general CS questions. I will not share the exact questions (integrity and all that...)

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you were stuck on a problem? How would you formulate the question to your co-workers?   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Contacted me through LinkedIn, and then scheduled a phone interview with the interviewer, ask me to write code in apple doc beta version. No general questions, directly to coding question. takes about 30-40 mins

Interview Questions

• Use objective-c write code to return the first repeated integer from a given array, with O(n) time   4 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiter initial contacted me through LinkedIn. I had an initial phone screen with the recruiter. Then a technical phone interview with an engineer. I then had a phone interview with the hiring manager to talk more about the position and the surround group. After that they flew me out to California for several in-person interviews. I was in interviews from 1-6, each interview last about an hour and had 2 people in each. After that they decided that I would be a better fit for a different group so I had 1 more technical phone interview with an engineer, and one more phone interview with the new hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any questions that stood out as difficult. All were pretty standard software engineer problems.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2014.

Interview

It started from a short HR talk, then go through an interview mainly focus on my background and past project. It takes more than three weeks to have the first technical interview.

The interview checked many projects that are relevant to their interest. Questions are very detailed, it definitely needs for applicant to have a very clear idea to talk about. Since I have several research based projects listed on my resume. The questions are developed around my experiences. The process takes about 50 min.

Interview Questions

• The interviewer expected more than I've prepared. As I am not a native speaker, I feel some technical details are not explained as clear as it should be, even though I am quite familiar with what I did. Preparing stories might help.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Applied through recruiter. Got onsite interview. The hiring manager gave me question sheets.
    1. String reversal.
    2. Bit manipulation.
    3. Binary search optimization
    4. Some Unix Shell commands.
    5. Socket programming
    6. JFrame

Interview Questions

• The question about JFrame code... where I had to find the problem.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Recruiter told me there will only be some probing questions on my experience for 30 minutes. But, the interviewer started asking coding questions for an hour. I couldn't understand his English due to his strong Chinese accent.

Interview Questions

• How large file can be on HDFS distributed file system? Which was a silly knowledge testing.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Recruiter call followed by one technical phone screen followed by on site interview

On site interview consisted of 2 2:1 interviews. My first interview was with the director of engineering which did not go well. Even though the second interview went well, this was the deciding factor.

Interview Questions

• Given busy slots as a data-set in a person's outlook calendar (eg: {(1000, 1200), (1415, 1530),...}) and the time required for a meeting (eg: 45 mins) write a method to find an open available slot for scheduling a meeting.   3 Answers
    • Given a deck of cards, write a method to determine if it is "flush".   2 Answers
    • Multi-threading and data related questions were quite simple and straightforward   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Applied through a reference. Was contacted two to four weeks later. They set up a first interview with recruiter and hiring manager. Then an interview with an engineer mainly going over my resume and simple Java questions.

Interview Questions

• Questions I got asked were what does the final keyword do in Java and how I would go through a list of country music words and track the frequency of common words.   2 Answers