Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 8, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Seattle, WA) in November 2016.

Interview

A long phone call. Code question is simple. It's about designing a data structure. Besides, we talked a lot about my resume. I talked a lot of details on my former projects. And they gave me lots of time to ask them questions. Generally, it's very comfortable to talk with them.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2016.

Interview

1 phone interview, invited for the 1st round on-site interview.
    met 6 persons in a row for about 5 hours.
    but haven't met hiring manager and wasn't informed his name either before.
    I guess I impress them not that great but got positive response from most of them.
    a couple of coding questions were asked from almost every person.
    I have answered right for most of them, I realized one mistake approach for the last one after got home.
    Even though I'm a very strong programming guy for over 20+ years and top ranked in the team always,
    I understand a slight mistake might have influenced the situation in the inteview.

but I think this on-site interview process is rude and not respectful for the candidate.
    since I haven't see my hiring manager and chat at least for short time.

Interview Questions

• some basic string searching or reversing linked list.
      finding maximum sum in a row in the interger array (contains minus) - incorrect solution approach I made here
      4 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I was referred by an employee, and had a phone chat with the manager. This was followed by a phone screen, then a day with five 45 minute onsite interviews with lunch. Each interview was 2 on 1.

The process took three and a half months overall, but they assured me this was abnormally slow, due to WWDC and a large team reorg.

Good questions, interesting people and awesome discussions! I'd do it again just for fun!

Interview Questions

• A runtime has a struct Class { Class* super_class; struct { id_t method_name; void (*method_pointer); } methods*[]; }. How would you optimize for dynamic dispatch?

How do you familiarize yourself with a new, large codebase? How would you go about replacing a component in it?
      Answer Question

It turns out Apple corporate policy prohibits employees from programming anything outside work, even in their own personal time. No FOSS contributions, no hobby projects, no tech demos. What a sad life for a programmer...

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in September 2016.

Interview

I interviewed for the Siri Server Engineer role.
    The hiring manager asked to make a rest application. After completing the project, they invited me for an onsite interview. I cleared by schedule accordingly. Just two days before the onsite interview, the recruiter asked me to give a phone screen. After the phone screen, they sent me a reject email and cancelled my travel arrangements. This impacted my current work schedule. This was a horrible experience for me and i hope nobody has to go through such last minute cancellations.

Interview Questions

• Design and implement a rest application
      Phone screen: algorithm question from leetcode
      Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Phone screen with the recruiter and hating manager then an unperson 4 - 6 hour interview session on site. The on-site involved white boarding only. Some of the interviewers knew how to do that well with the interviewee, others did not. One interviewer took 10 mins of the 30 he had with me to describe a situation very specific to his job so he can set up a technical question, which wound up taking more time.

Interview Questions

• Started off with basic coding skills and then moved into algorithms and data structures: What's the best data structure to handle a stream of data from a twitter feed and partition the data in real time into buckets, then write the code to manages the data into buckets.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple in July 2016.

Interview

I was initially contacted over LinkedIn by one of Apple's recruiters and scheduled a phone call. After that conversation, the recruiter thought I would be a better fit for a different team and redirected me to a second recruiter.

Initially, the second recruiter was very responsive. I was amazed at how quickly he got back to me (even late in the evening). More on this recruiter later...

I was then scheduled for an initial phone call with an Engineer on the team I was being considered for. The interviewer thought the phone call went well and I was asked to come onsite.

My experience onsite was largely positive. I enjoyed speaking with the engineers and the hiring manager. The role was for a devops position, so the questions encompassed both coding and questions about how to do things on the command line and how to automate tasks. The engineers and the hiring manager were very nice and respectful.

Now back to the recruiter. The recruiter was nice, but it sounded like he didn't even review my profile. After he escorted me to the interview room, we chatted for a few minutes before the first interviewer showed up. He told me about the team I was interviewing for and what their responsibilities were. He then asked questions like "So, are you technical? Do you code?". It didn't sound like he had reviewed my profile at all (I'm an experienced engineer with a decent amount of coding experience).

After I had finished the onsite, I wrote the recruiter a thank you email and he responded and said that I would have feedback the next day. I didn't hear from him the next day. A week later, I sent another email to follow up and did not receive a response. A few days after that, I received an offer from another company and I sent the recruiter one additional email to let him know and to see if they wanted to move forward or not, and again, I received no response.

Overall, the actual experience of speaking with the engineers was quite pleasant, but the recruiter was not very professional after the interview had concluded. I assume that Apple will not be moving forward, but I would have appreciated an explicit communication informing me of my status. Even a generic "We're not interested in moving forward at this time." would have been sufficient, but no follow up is somewhat disrespectful in my opinion.

Interview Questions

• Scripting questions and command line proficiency questions   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

A pleasant process, but long interview with 6 people. The interview staff were friendly, but the interview was by no means easy. The whole interview took about 6 hours, and was quite exhasuting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Seattle, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Seattle, WA) in August 2016.

Interview

Some engineer called me. For a 1 hour coding round (Java position) started with some basic questions. Then kept asking about networking internals, file system internals, network packet details, protocol details. This is especially confusing since the position requirements don't list them.

So it ended with no coding and in 30 mins.

Interview Questions

• unix internals, networking internals, packets, protocols, threading internals   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in July 2016.

Interview

I applied through a recruiter, the whole process took 3 months. After 2 phone interviews, I was told to do an onsite interview. After that, the recruiter told me I did well but the opening is no longer available and asked me to do another onsite interview for another role. After the second onsite interview, the recruiter told me they'd like to give me an offer. Two weeks later, the recruiter told me they couldn't process me with the offer since the head count has been given to somewhere else.

The interviewees are very nice and friendly. They ask me various questions from data structure, algorithm, to database, OO design etc. All these questions are not hard and make sense to me. (Except one interviewee gave me a bunch of Python3.* code printed on a piece of paper and asked me to give the output, I only use Python2.7, so I guess I gave the wrong answer to that question) However, the recruiting organize is a chaos, which makes me some kind of disappoint about Apple.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

one phone interview.
    one on-site interview.
    one-to-one with 8 people.
    1 HR, 3 people in the morning, 1 for lunch, 3 people in the afternoon.
    HR is for behavior question.
    others are all about technical questions, including domain knowledge and coding.
    the interviewers are from different teams.
    Each session takes 45 minutes.