Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Feb 13, 2017

3.1

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in March 2016.

Interview

Pretty standard, I applied online and was contacted by a recruiter, and set to interview with a specific team. I sent in a resume and cover letter. I scheduled an interview for the next week and then was promptly given a no-offer the next day.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Recruited on LinkedIn instead of their careers page. Had a chat with recruiter who told me she was building a team like she was the hiring manager or something (yeah right). I had to sign an NDA before I got the interview, however I was still told the project was confidential even though I had signed the NDA. Then had an hour long phone screen where I was rejected 10-15 MINUTES after the phone call. "Not a fit." Very rude interviewer who tried to cut me off multiple times when I said I was thinking about the answer and just moved on to the next question like he didn't care or already made up his mind. After asking the interviewer how I did, he said he would have to "look at his notes" which was a clear sign that he didn't want me. No rejection feedback was given and emails were not returned.

Interview Questions

• Easy Android trivia questions, using a hashmap counter that I got correct. Biggest kickers were "do you even know what asymptotic means? A lot of people don't." which was rude and uncalled for. He kept asking me scenario questions for some reason even though I had never researched how to do those things before since I didn't need to in my applications. Also stupid questions like "why can't you use primitives in a hashmap." Who knows? I didn't implement the collections class so how should I know.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Detroit, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Detroit, MI) in February 2016.

Interview

Two phone interviews about my background, one code session about my coding and programming ability. The first interview last for 15 minutes and the second one last for one hour, the third one is a little bit longer, last more than one hour.

Interview Questions

• Introduce me one project that you have done recently   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in January 2016.

Interview

Started with a phone interview with a general recruiter, then another phone interview with a hiring manager, then another with a member of the team I would be working on.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. I had an HR interview to start with (just to discuss the roll and my background). After that it was a couple of technical interviews followed by an onsite in Cupertino.

The onsite was a little tiring with ~6hrs of interviews but everyone was really nice and it didn't seem like any of them wanted to stump me. I was a little frustrated because they never allowed me to see anything other than the interview room and the cafeteria. It would have been nice to at least be able to see the workplace I would have been in.

Interview Questions

• Write a basic fibonnaci sequence implementation   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume online through Apple's application. Contacted by two university recruiters, one recruiting for a manager of one team and one recruiting for a director of another. Interviewed first with both manager and director. Director arranged an interview with a team member. Received offers from both teams. All interviews were phone screens. Very quick process overall.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in November 2015.

Interview

I got an interview by talking to some recruiters at a hackathon by talking about my past projects and my Objective C/Swift experience. My first round interview was a phone interview about some data structure questions, no coding, but designing data structures and some basic Objective C stuff. My final round interview was also a phone interview, but with the head of the team I would work under. These questions were more based on Objective C, but more detailed questions. After this interview, a lot of emphasis was put on my portfolio and my past projects, which I believe significantly helped me get the position!

Interview Questions

• How would you design a data structure that is an array, but with so many elements such that the array almost fills up the entire RAM?   1 Answer
    • How does delegation work?   1 Answer
    • How does ARC work in Objective C, and how is it different from garbage collection?   1 Answer
    • Difference between strong and weak pointers?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

The interview process was simple. Started with phone interview, then on-site. The hiring manager himself did the phone screen. He asked a lot of knowledge base questions. No coding questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I went through three rounds of interview: A phone screen with a recruiter, a longer technical interview over the phone, and then a half-day on-site consisting of several interviews with different members of the team I applied for. Unlike a previous interview process with Apple, the final interview with my on-site was with the head of the organization I’d applied for. The questions covered a broad variety of areas, from CS fundamentals to application architecture to Cocoa design patterns. I was ultimately not hired, and encouraged to brush up on CS fundamentals before applying again.

Interview Questions

• How would you reverse a singly-linked list?   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied at an Apple booth set up at my university during a hackathon. A week later (in Nov 2015), I got a mail asking for an interview with the Siri team (had applied specifically to AI based roles). Was delighted and sent in the details like availability, phone number, etc. After that, there was no response from my recruiter. Three weeks passed by and I mailed her and I got an automated reply informing that she had gone on a month long vacation and was asked to contact another recruiter. Contacted him and he finally fixed a date for the interview. It never happened. He scheduled and rescheduled and it never ever happened. I was asked to contact my initial recruiter once she gets back from her vacation. I contacted her in early Jan 2016 and she replied a week later informing that the interview will not be happening as someone else got the role. I lost my chance at Apple because a recruiter did not check her mails properly. It is fine if they overlook mails from candidates who are asking for an interview. Once she has given a chance to a candidate, she must be responsible enough to make sure the candidate goes through the process. Extremely disappointed with how the recruiter corresponded with me.

Interview Questions

• When are you available for the phone interview?   2 Answers