Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apple

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I was contacted via linkedin, after I responded I talked to an HR person about what kind of position I would be interested in (10 minutes), then a week later a technical interview with with a hiring manager (30 minutes). That started off with a couple basic technical questions (how is a map implemented) then went into brain teaser/logic problems.

Interview Questions

• Ants are at the corners of an equilateral triangle labelled 1, 2, and 3, each ant starts moving towards the next one (1 towards 2, 2 towards 3, 3 towards 1) at the same constant speed. How long until they meet ?   9 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Got a phone call from the recruiter and then followed by 2 phone interviews. They flew my in to cupertino for onsite interview, which was pretty professional and smooth. Interviewers were super friendly and helpful.

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

Applied for the job on apple.com. Got contacted by a recruiter and proceeded to two rounds of phone screening. Both of the interviewers are from the team that's hiring.

Interview Questions

• How to speed up a database query?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Had to write many hours of code just for the phone interview! Went to onsite and spoke with about 5-6 guys, mostly managers. The questions required lengthy whiteboard coding. To be fair, I did not get the answer to one of these in a timely manner, and this is likely why I did not receive an offer. I did formulate an answer waiting for my plane later, and forwarded it to the mgr.

The general feel I got was that I was not a possibly valued asset, but a new cog for their machine. There was a pervasive lack of respect in the most of the interviewers' demeanor. I think it's an Apple culture thing, based on other posts I've read on Glassdoor. As soon as I left the building, I knew I could not work here. On the upside, it indicates extreme confidence in the company's ability to attract talent if they can speak to applicants this way.

Interview Questions

• Writing 8-9 hours of code from the phone interview assignment was a bit much. It probably took longer because I wanted to polish it. But it was not a simple problem by any means. I worked all night to have it ready. The onsite interviewers didn't seem particularly impressed with these efforts, and it gave me insight into how I'd be treated full time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in November 2008.

Interview

I interviewed for an internship. Two phone interviews were conducted. Both interviews were technical, and focused primarily on previous experience, with questions akin to, "Describe a recent programming challenge you completed, and how you overcame it." I was not asked to write code at any point, presumably because the interview was for an internship.

Interview Questions

• Describe a recent programming challenge, and how you overcame it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2010.

Interview

I had a total of three phone screens with Apple's software integration team. The first two phone screens were with the development manager of the team. The third phone interview was conducted by three senior engineers on the team and last about an hour. Their questions ranged from algorithm complexity to specific questions regarding Microsoft's .NET framework (the position required a lot of Windows knowledge).

Overall it was a decent experience. The development manager who interviewed me in the first two interviews was very kind and made me feel excited about the position. The engineers in the third interview seemed rushed to get through their questions and even though I felt I did well, I wasn't offered a trip to Cupertino to meet the team for a face-to-face interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in February 2010.

Interview

Contacted by recruiter. Phone interviewed by a hiring manager. Then 1-day on-site interview. Technical questions are ranging from data structure, algorithm, and knowledge of special techniques. The interviewer will challenge your answers by asking you to optimize them. My strategy is to come up with a so-so answer and then discuss possible directions with the interviewer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2008.

Interview

I appeared for a college interview with Apple. The technical part of the interview was fine: there were no trick questions. One of the questions was to actually write C code for some string manipulation. The interviewer also asked me if I used Mac OS, and what I thought was annoying about it. We had a good discussion about the technical and user-side limitations of Mac OS X. The technical interview was fine.

The real disaster was the HR interaction. Right after the interview, the HR person gave me an iTunes gift card...for $1. A. Single. Dollar. I thought it was a joke, and I told the person to keep it. I wasn't an iTunes user anyway, and I thought a gift card for a single dollar was borderline insulting. It would have been better not to offer anything. After the interview, I waited for a response. I received a call that my interview had gone well, and they were interested in getting me on-site (Cupertino) for interviews, then I got some conflicting email saying that on-site interviews wouldn't be required. This was for an internship, and most bay-area companies don't bother with onsite interviews for summer internship. In the meanwhile, I had interviewed with Google, and they had offered me a position. I emailed my recruiter at Apple, and got no response back. I accepted the Google offer. A week or two later, I get a frantic call from some other Apple recruiter, saying how they'd love to have me over. Alas, by then it was too late.

I suspect Apple expects candidates, especially college students, to wait for them.

Interview Questions

• Write a routine to determine if a linked list has a cycle.   4 Answers

The callous attitude of the HR folk. Also, by the time they had woken up, I had begun and finished the interview process with another company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

I got a call from the HR seeing my resume online. I applied for compiler developer position and they called me for a position in the LLVM team. I had 2 levels of phone interview and finally didn't get through though. I had first level of interview with a Director who asked questions about my Masters research work and then I had another level with the manager and a developer who asked me general questions about my resume. The interview lasted for 30-40 min.

Interview Questions

• The questions were general to give some ideas about a new project they were planning.   1 Answer
    • They asked me some behavioral questions like if I will be interested to work in software like Itunes in which you download a song but will not be able to play it in some other player.   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in June 2009.

Interview

A very challenging interview provided by Apple. Before they brought me on-site, I had several conversations with the team over the phone over the course of 3 weeks. Onsite, the interview lasted for 5 straight hours and I spoke with 9 different people. They wanted me to speak to 2 or 3 more people, but those individuals were in meetings. The interview itself was very challenging, all matter of questions were asked including knowledge and experience with Apple products, previous projects worked on, a variety of technical questions, creativity questions, and a personal evaluation of faults and shortcomings. The interview process was very grueling but in the end rewarding; however, I was not offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever disagreed with a manager's decision, and how did you approach the disagreement? Give a specific example and explain how you rectified this disagreement, what the final outcome was, and how that individual would describe you today.   1 Answer