Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated May 24, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

Pretty standard interview process. I had an HR interview to start with (just to discuss the roll and my background). After that it was a couple of technical interviews followed by an onsite in Cupertino.

The onsite was a little tiring with ~6hrs of interviews but everyone was really nice and it didn't seem like any of them wanted to stump me. I was a little frustrated because they never allowed me to see anything other than the interview room and the cafeteria. It would have been nice to at least be able to see the workplace I would have been in.

Interview Questions

• Write a basic fibonnaci sequence implementation   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in December 2015.

Interview

Submitted resume online through Apple's application. Contacted by two university recruiters, one recruiting for a manager of one team and one recruiting for a director of another. Interviewed first with both manager and director. Director arranged an interview with a team member. Received offers from both teams. All interviews were phone screens. Very quick process overall.

Software Engineering Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in November 2015.

Interview

I got an interview by talking to some recruiters at a hackathon by talking about my past projects and my Objective C/Swift experience. My first round interview was a phone interview about some data structure questions, no coding, but designing data structures and some basic Objective C stuff. My final round interview was also a phone interview, but with the head of the team I would work under. These questions were more based on Objective C, but more detailed questions. After this interview, a lot of emphasis was put on my portfolio and my past projects, which I believe significantly helped me get the position!

Interview Questions

• How would you design a data structure that is an array, but with so many elements such that the array almost fills up the entire RAM?   1 Answer
    • How does delegation work?   1 Answer
    • How does ARC work in Objective C, and how is it different from garbage collection?   1 Answer
    • Difference between strong and weak pointers?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I went through three rounds of interview: A phone screen with a recruiter, a longer technical interview over the phone, and then a half-day on-site consisting of several interviews with different members of the team I applied for. Unlike a previous interview process with Apple, the final interview with my on-site was with the head of the organization I’d applied for. The questions covered a broad variety of areas, from CS fundamentals to application architecture to Cocoa design patterns. I was ultimately not hired, and encouraged to brush up on CS fundamentals before applying again.

Interview Questions

• How would you reverse a singly-linked list?   3 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

The interview process was simple. Started with phone interview, then on-site. The hiring manager himself did the phone screen. He asked a lot of knowledge base questions. No coding questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Los Angeles, CA) in November 2015.

Interview

Applied at an Apple booth set up at my university during a hackathon. A week later (in Nov 2015), I got a mail asking for an interview with the Siri team (had applied specifically to AI based roles). Was delighted and sent in the details like availability, phone number, etc. After that, there was no response from my recruiter. Three weeks passed by and I mailed her and I got an automated reply informing that she had gone on a month long vacation and was asked to contact another recruiter. Contacted him and he finally fixed a date for the interview. It never happened. He scheduled and rescheduled and it never ever happened. I was asked to contact my initial recruiter once she gets back from her vacation. I contacted her in early Jan 2016 and she replied a week later informing that the interview will not be happening as someone else got the role. I lost my chance at Apple because a recruiter did not check her mails properly. It is fine if they overlook mails from candidates who are asking for an interview. Once she has given a chance to a candidate, she must be responsible enough to make sure the candidate goes through the process. Extremely disappointed with how the recruiter corresponded with me.

Interview Questions

• When are you available for the phone interview?   2 Answers

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2015.

Interview

1 phone interview with a team manager about my past experience (discussion on resume) and the expected intern role. The manager primarily wanted to see if I'm interested in the role and etc. After the phone interview, I was invited to an onsite interview to meet the recruiter and one of the lead engineers from the team. The onsite interview was all technical questions.

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

HR -> Phone screens -> Additional phone screens.
    Overall it was good experience with lack of preparation from my side. There were even several parallel tracks for different teams all of which I have failed (maybe besides one track which I have declined).

Interview Questions

• I was asked to no share them.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Apple came to my college campus and I went to them, talked to one of their software engineers in the Safari team and then got an on campus interview the next day. The interview was a white board coding and in the end I asked a few question about Apple

Interview Questions

• find the most frequent element in an integer array   3 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

After a few phone calls you go to an onsite interview at the Apple campus. Apple interviews engineers for the specific team you'd be working with. Meaning that if you don't get through an interview with one team, you have to start all over for another team. Onsite you go through a few different interviews, each one had 2 interviewers who mostly asked white boarding questions. I found 2 interviewers in many sessions over about 6 hours exhausting. It's hard to judge what interviewers want when there are two of them staring you down while you write a solution to their question.

Interview Questions

• They ask a lot of OS X and iOS memory management questions.   Answer Question