Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Apr 24, 2017

3.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Apple (Raleigh, NC) in October 2015.

Interview

The period is about 30 minutes. First, he asked about my resume and some behavioral questions about my internship. Then, we started the technical questions. After the technical question, I showed him the projects I have done.

Interview Questions

• Kth largest number in an array.   4 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple in October 2015.

Interview

It was great. I applied and got a response within a two weeks. I then scheduled a phone interview with a Software QA. It went well. Then I had another interview with a different department. In total I had three interview. Two facetime interviews and one phone interview.

Interview Questions

• What is the hardest technical problem you have solved and how did you solve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

The interview was very straight forward. As long as you explain your thought process when coding/solving problem you should be fine. One thing to note is that around ~8 people interview you so it sure does tire you out, and you meet with a manager at the end. They also provide lunch which is nice.

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 7 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

I was reached out by a Software Engineer on the team at first and did a first phone interview. Then, I met with a hiring manager and director of engineering during a conference. Next, an onsite interview with 4 people. The feedbacks were all positive. However, I was switched to the second manager's team and she wanted more interviews. Eventually, it turned out that I was switched to the third sub-team with a new recruiter. All the three sub-teams belong to the same department. So, I did one more phone interview with a Software Engineer and another onsite interviews with 6 people. It was a long process, but all people I met were friendly, nice and smart.

Interview Questions

• Statistics, random sampling, data structures and algorithms, system designs, machine learning concepts, previous project/experience deep dive   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Durham, NC

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Durham, NC) in September 2015.

Interview

I spoke to a recruiter at an on campus networking event and received a phone call in 2 hours that night asking for an interview the next day. Interview happened in a conference room on campus and consisted of around 10 technical questions with no coding. Just walking through solutions. 30 minute interview with 5 minutes at the end for questions. Received an email a week later with no moving forward.

Interview Questions

• What is deadlock and how is it prevented? Intersection of two arrays with optimal Big O.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2015.

Interview

I applied online through the Apple jobs website. I was contacted the following day by a recruiter and set up an initial call for that week. After the initial phone screen with the recruiter about my background and interests, I moved to the technical phone screen portion of the interview. This interview was FANTASTIC compared to most tech companies. I felt like the interview was more of a technical discussion about real software engineering problems than a straight "code this" kind of interview. Towards the end, I was asked to describe how I would solve two different problems but it was just conceptual, no coding.

I found out the next day that I made it to on-site interviews. Onsite I had 4 one hour interviews, with 2 interviewers in each one. Meeting a total of 8 people was a lot but gave me a good feel for the team. Later that week, the recruiter contacted me and told me the team wanted to do one more technical interview over the phone. This last interview was a traditional coding interview you see at other companies. Two days after this, I was contacted and told I would be receiving an offer.

Interview Questions

• On-sites consisted of two coding questions, one database design question, and one networking question.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Initial screening by the hiring manager and two other employees. Hiring manager and the first interviewer asked open-ended questions with emphasis on the previous experience. The third interview came after the screening C++ example (see below). The questions become more technical, but the interviewer was friendly and helpful. Based on the first impressions, the group I was interviewing for seems to provide a friendly and productive environment.

Interview Questions

• Q: In an hour, write a simple C++ algorithm involving standard input and output. Provide test cases.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple in September 2015.

Interview

typical phone screening, followed by a technical phone interview for about 45 minutes. Very simple questions which was disappointing to ask from a PhD. Questions like the instruction in matlab to convert a rgb image to grayscale. Not the way I do my work.

Interview Questions

• the matlab instruction to compute the standard deviation.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pittsburgh, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Pittsburgh, PA) in September 2015.

Interview

I got the interview on career fair, and the interview was at next day.
    The engineer gave me one problem to solve, not the normal leetcode question, but a design of system, which is very difficult for me. But the recruiter is very smart and kind.

Interview Questions

• to design a system for detecting people around a door, predict whether this man will go into the door   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA).

Interview

I was expedited through the process as Apple acquired the company I was going to work for. Apple flew me out for one day of on-site interviews, and I had three 2-1 interviews. There was no effort to get to know me in any of them. Each interview was an hour spent entirely on technical questions covering algorithms and system design.

The first two interviews were not great, but not terrible. I asked a lot of clarifying questions, which seemed to annoy the interviewers more than anything. Weird.

The worst interview I've ever had was the 3rd one, with the two team leads. One of them wrote up a problem on the whiteboard, and then spent the rest of the interview looking bored out of his mind at his phone. His problem was very vague and incomplete as he first asked it, and when I asked questions about it he got frustrated and talked down to me. He would occasionally glance up at my progress (it wasn't a hard problem once the details were worked out) and make a snide remark about what I had written. He expected syntactically perfect whiteboard code, and threw in some expletives for an added bonus. The other interviewer would snicker whenever the first criticized my code. At the end they asked if I had any questions, but every question I asked was met with, "That's confidential." It was definitely the most unprofessional interview I've ever been a part of, and I almost walked out of it because it was clear it was wasting all of our time.

Unfortunately the misery didn't quite end there, as it took Apple three full months (and 13 reminder emails) to reimburse me for the costs I had to pay for cab rides and per diem expenses. I was also never reimbursed for a flight I had to cancel because of the interview timing, but at this point I'm just tired of dealing with them. If possible, try to get Apple to pay up front for as much stuff as possible, because the reimbursement process is a nightmare. My (senior) recruiter had no idea where to even begin with it, which I still don't quite understand.

Interview Questions

• The skyline problem

Given a set of interval tuples, find the longest overlapping interval

Given a huge log file of a web server, find the IP addresses that had exactly 1 request

A network is connected in a line, so that servers can talk only to the servers to their left or right. Servers know if they are the leftmost or rightmost servers. What's a protocol for every server to learn the full topology? How long does it take?
      1 Answer