Apple Software Engineering Manager Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Software Engineering Manager Interview Questions

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

I interviewed with the IS&T division, which has a pretty poor reputation. I found the interviews, both phone and in person, to be reasonable and fair, although not the high-caliber type of technical questioning I was expecting from reading other reviews of Apple Interviews. IS&T is mostly shoved into some ugly, noisy and crowded buildings in Sunnyvale and is a thoroughly unpleasant place to interview. I've been in other campuses and this is about as far from Apple as you can imagine. The smell of sweat, harsh lights and bare concrete floors, while every hall, corner, breakout rooms, lunch area, etc., filled with very tired-looking Indian contractors.

But despite the IS&T conditions, I found the whole process extremely frustrating, and ultimately declined, because of Apple HR. In my mind, any company with as dysfunctional an HR department shows how they really feel about their resources and is not one I want to work at.

I had applied for several positions through Apple's recruitment portal, but this was actually the third time that Apple HR reached out to me about a position I had NOT applied for. Each time the hiring manager for the position seemed baffled that I had been given to them for consideration, making for some awkward conversations. The third time they reached out to me I was extremely reluctant to proceed and had two offers in hand, so I was very clear that I was under time constraints. They said "no problem, we can do this very quick".

Every step of the process was met with mystery delays. They set up an initial phone screen then delayed it without explanation. Then set up an on-site - knowing I was running out of time - for a week later - and then delayed it also without explanation. A week later they let me know that they were interested and would like to make an offer - but did not actually make an offer, just a verbal so that I would turn down the other offers. Over the next week I sent emails and left voice mails asking for any kind of updates, with absolutely no response.

At this point I had had enough and took a really terrific offer in the south bay.

Five weeks later (!) Apple HR sent me a written offer, and I was more than a little pleased to turn them down.

Interview Questions

• Really mediocre technical questions - and they got two of them wrong! Management questions were typical "how would you handle this..." type of questions, but I got the impression they weren't really listening to the answers.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in December 2015.

Interview

I had 2 rounds of phone interviews. The hiring manager chatted a bit about my current job and some architectural design questions followed by a couple of simple algorithm questions. A few days later, a software engineer asked some technical questions, many specific to Java, and a couple of simple algorithm questions.

The on-site interview was 6 hours long. 5 interviews, each with a panel of 2 plus lunch. The hiring manager drilled down on the architectural design questions, followed by 2 interviewers on DB related questions and 7 interviewers on algorithm questions.

The positives: I felt the interviewers respected me as a candidates, their body language were mostly positive. A brief tour around the campus was also very good. The recruiting process was quick and no repeated visits was required.

The negatives: I was treated like a robot to solve algorithm questions. I have nearly 20 years of coding experience in server side Java yet no one asked about my resume, the technologies and processes I've used or my leadership experience. Some didn't even read my resume before the interview. I asked what technologies they're currently using and let's just say the answers didn't excite me very much.

Finally, a note to the Apple engineers: Smile! You're human beings, not robots. And you're hiring human beings, not robots.

Interview Questions

• Not the actual question, I've modified a bit:

Find the element(s) in an integer array such that if it's removed, the rest of the array can be divided into 2 sub-arrays of equal sums. The sub-arrays need not contain contiguous elements. There may be 0 or more answers.   2 Answers

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Interview

Smooth and efficient interview schedule setup with breaks and meals provided.

Interview Questions

• Tell me something that you have done in your life which you are particularly proud of   1 Answer

Software Engineering Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple in May 2012.

Interview

Got a call from an in-house recruiter, scheduled a full day interview - 10am-5pm. One hour lunch, one hour each person. Interviewers were very nice eventhough they did ask lots of tricky questions. They challenged my answers and solutions described.

Interview Questions

Had a better offer from a different company

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in May 2009.

Interview

I had 2 phone interviews and then 1:1 site interview.
    Apples HR seems to be busy these days!.

Onsite was very easy management basics.....

It seemed that the group didn't know what they are looking for...! an experienced team lead or a manager or what!!!!

There MIGHT have been racial disrmination....but can't prove it!