Apple Software QA Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 10, 2017

2.9

27 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2016.

Interview

Pretty typical Apple interview. The process first started when I met a recruiter at Grace Hopper; from there they put my resume into a stack to be reviewed. I then was interviewed for the role of iOS Binary Compatibility Engineer. Although I made it through to the end of the interview and received positive feedback, the team manager ended up having to decline an offer due to push back from management regarding my experience.

After this point my HR representative had me try out for a different team, and everything went really well! Two phone interviews, the first with the manager and it lasted for about 30 minutes. He asked me about my experience, ambitions, and passion for Apple. The 2nd phone interview was a 1-hr technical screen done by 2 people at once. From this point I was flown out to Apple in Cupertino.
6 Interviews, 2/3 people versus me at a time. Every interview went positive, and I enjoyed all the people there! My favorite experience was a 3 on 1 interview with a bunch of managers that worked there back in 1999 when Steve was introducing OS X at Apple. This discussion was super fun, and we all basically nerdgasmed during the interview. xD At the end of the interview I spoke with my Director and he gave me the green light pending a discussion amongst all of the employees.

At Apple after the interview, everybody gets together and talks about hiring you. If everybody agrees that you are a good fit, they have the director sign off on the decision. From there your application is forwarded to a Vice President who gives a final sign off and you are then presented an offer.

Interview Questions

• How do you reverse a string?   2 Answers
  • Assume an intern approaches you for help with a bunch of garbaged code, how would you go about troubleshooting and solving the issue?   1 Answer
  • How would you create a program in SystemD that could take in an HTTP request over Port 80, and then forward and start up a web server to process the request, and then shutdown?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in January 2016.

Interview

Started with phone interview, with all the basic working knowledge. Next round coding and finally in-person interview. In final round, 2 person were taking interview and asked the previous experience and coding questions.

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Interview

Interview Questions

• Linux and qa automation questions.

One phone screening and 1 onsite interview. Interview was cool, not very tough. They asked me Unix and linux questions. One manager took my interview onsite for 1 hr.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in September 2015.

Interview

Submitted my resume via the website and was contacted by a recruiter. Had a phone interview with the recruiter and then with my would-be manager. Was then asked to come to Apple to do an in person interview. They flew me in, I interviewed with 8 or so people on the team over the course of a few hours and went on my way.

Interview Questions

• How would you trace the source of an given issue given preproduction hardware, software and OS?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Sunnyvale, CA) in October 2015.

Interview

First the recruiter sets up a phone interview. Then you will be contacted by the hiring manager. Manager will talk about your work experience and some problem solving or basic debugging questions. Then you wait for the recruiter to get back to you. If selected by the hiring manager, you will be invited for an on-site interview. This will be a full day interview where you will meet people from QA,SW developers and the recruiter.

Interview Questions

• QA basics, C programming and pointers, problem solving, software life cycle. Be ready to discuss your work experience.   Answer Question

Software QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in March 2015.

Interview

This position was for recent graduates. First had an interview with HR. Had standard HR questions starting with
    why Apple?
    Next was the technical round. In technical, the questions were mainly focused on my understanding of image processing principles. How will you convert the colors image to gray scale? I also had some questions on scripting(Perl/Phython). Know your resume well.

Interview Questions

• Why Apple? Why engineering? Explain the projects you did?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

Know your resume. Be able to answer why you want to work for the company and where you see your self in 5 years.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Apple   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in March 2012.

Interview

I had an interview with the project manager, scheduled for one hour but we spent one an half hour. I thought I did very well but at the end they went with another person. It was sad

Interview Questions

• Tell me about some technical staff? Could be anything you are good of.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Cupertino, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Cupertino, CA) in August 2011.

Interview

The interview process consisted of 3 phone screens and then a full day of in-person interviews in Cupertino. The whole process was very organised and the interviewers were professional, polite and well prepared. I could tell that Apple has specific procedures and formats for interviews because of the similarities in dialogue and the way interviews were conducted with different interviewers.

All of the technical coding questions followed the same general format. First, I was given a problem to solve and asked to write a short program or function to solve it. After, I was asked to demonstrate how the program works by using a specific example given by the interviewer. Finally, I was asked about the complexity of my solution. In many cases, I was given an opportunity to come up with another solution that would be more efficient than the original.

One more thing to note is that it is very important to have an accurate resume. This may seems obvious, but you will be asked questions based on the skills listed on your resume.

Interview Questions

• In C, write your own implementation of the atoi() function.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The recruiter asked for my input about salary expectations. When I informed them that I also has an offer from another company, Apple wanted to make sure that they were being competitive. In the end, the offer that I received was at the high end of the range that we had originally discussed.

Software QA Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Head hunt via linkedin, send it CV and apple ireland set a 30 minutes sechduled phone interview. Interview was bit longer and there were 3 apple employees making it.
    Most of the questions were regarding info stated on my CV.
    Very detailed questions on what exactly did i mean with almost every bullet of my CV, explain and give examples.
      Somme questions regarding black box testing and some where regarding white box and automation testing.

Also been asked what apple products do i use and own.
    The vacancy im applying is
    localization QA tester in Ireland.