Apple Specialist Interview Questions in Canada | Glassdoor

Apple Specialist Interview Questions in Canada

Updated May 18, 2017

2.6

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Apple (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

group interview, around 15 people were also in the interview, group of 7 store members were evaluating consisted of manager, creative, geniuses, technical specialist and the administrative person.

1. Intro of store members to groups, then within the groups, intro yourself to your group members
2. you need to introduce a person in your group to all the interviewees.
3. series of videos, explaining Apple culture, Apple store structure, there is time after videos to express your thoughts about the video [you are being evaluated for expressing comments]
4. then into the groups again to do the interview questions, there is a list of questions that the store members choose from from their ipads, very generic interview questions but in a group discussion style. [you are being evaluated for the answers]
5. after the interview, there is a Q&A, after that, its done.

process took around 2 hours, no breaks. Most people were in business casual with few in full business.

Interview Questions

• Example of a time your worked around your weakness   1 Answer
  • Example of a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple in May 2017.

Interview

The best interview process I've ever taken part in. I applied online and received an email from Apple inviting me to an interview event. It asked me to choose from one of the three days and select a time slot.

The first interview was a group interview, there were 5 of us including me. We stood around a table in the Apple Store with name tags on. There was a senior store employee and an HR rep. They were both extremely friendly and made us feel comfortable. One by one we would be asked a question that we each had to answer, you could be asked first or last, it was random. There were about 4 questions. At the end we were given sheets of paper where it asked which positions we were here for and our availability. We were told that they would be calling people for a follow up interview as soon as they were ready.

I went home and three hours later I received a call from Apple asking me to come for a second interview in two days.

That's where I met with a the Store Leader...basically the hiring manager. We literally walked around the mall together chit-chatting for half an hour. She asked a bunch of interview type questions but it was very formal and she really just wanted to get to know me. Once that was over she told me that they have other people to interview and that they would be making their calls on the following Wednesday with an answer.

It's now Wednesday and I got the call....super excited and can't wait to start working with Apple.

Anyone looking to apply to Apple and are lucky enough to make it to the first interview, my advice is simple. BE YOURSELF...Don't be nervous there's nothing scary about it. Make eye contact and smile. Listen, ask questions and you will do just fine.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a little about where you work, an interesting fact about yourself and what's the most embarrassing song on your iPhone?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had to deal with a customer who had an unreasonable request, how did you handle that and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Name a time you had a friend that was going through a tough time, how did you help them?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in May 2017.

Interview

Applied and was contacted 2-3 days after to register for a interview time. Typical interview format for an Apple hiring event, smaller group and we went through all the motions aside from watching the videos. Felt as though the leaders were just going through the motions, smaller group and only asked one question to each candidate, leading each person to only speak for a few minutes within the 60-70 minute interview.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in April 2017.

Interview

First of all, the process is very fun!

It started off for me applying online and making a profile. I applied for a specialist. I got an email about a month later inviting me to a Apple Retail hiring event. They send you an email with the invite with the time slot you want to go for. I've seen other reviews where you only have one to choose from. I had 3 to pick from 9am, 1pm , 6pm. They will last the full 2 hours. I picked the 9am slot because I thought all the hiring manager would be fresh and not be tired from any other groups. There was 30 people in each group session.

So the morning of the hiring event, I arrived by 8:30am, they request you to be 15 mintues early. I thought I would just show up even more early (make a better impression) and it was a good idea. I got to meet some of the managers first and they started to know my name before the rest of the people got there. Our event wasn't at the apple store, it was nearby at a hotel ballroom.

Once you walk in, you are greeted by Apple employees on iPads checking you in. After that, once everybody has arrived, they bring you over to some tables and make you a name tag. Once everyone has there name tags, they told us to come into the ballroom. Just like lauch day of a new Apple product at a retail store, as we were walking in, they were blasting music, all clapping and had a big smile on there faces. It felt very welcoming. We all sat down around a rectangular table while all the employee and managers were standing up around the table.

The event started right at 9. The first real thing that happened is that all the Apple employee introduced themselves. They said what they did at the Apple store, what they like doing for hobbies and something unqiue about themselves. Then it was our time to introduce ourselves.

This is important, I did lots of research before hand on glassdoor and reddit. All the managers have Ipads marking people and writing down what people stand out and offer to go first. They want people to be outgoing but while remaining natural and orangic. So what do you know, I offered to go first and I told everyone one about myself. The managers really like that. If you can and your going to a hiring event, offer to go first to introduce yourself. Once everyone was finished, we moved on and they should us 3 videos (you can see them ahead of time on the Apple jobs website)

Then they asked all the people at the hiring event what they thought of the videos... and yet again, what do you know.. I offered to go first again (this shows you take leadership) and I could see all the managers writing down my name. They asked, what we thought of the videos, what makes Apple so special, etc...

Then we had to get into groups of 5. We were all given the same scenario, and based on the videos that they showed us and what we learned, and if you were an employee at the Apple store, what would you do. It was "Somebody comes into Apple with a water damagaed iPhone".
    We got into our groups and had 10 minutes to act out a kit, once time was up, we all sat back down and each group performed infront of eveyone. Once again, the managers were looking out for outgoing people, that was the whole point of the kit.

After that, they should and talked about all the positions available at Apple Retail stores. Then they was almost it, they asked if we had any questions (try to ask a question if you can), I asked the first question. We didn't have that much time left, only about 5-7 questions were answered.

At the end, they got us to fill out the application form. On the form, it was availability, what positions you wanted to work, what Apple products you have/know (Ipad, Iphone, Ipod, Mac, Monitors, others) and Apple software (iLife, Icloud, iWork iTunes, Final Cut).

Once done, I got out my resume and cover letter and gave it to one of the managers and told them how much fun I had. Make sure you go and shake all the managers hands at the end and thank them for there time.

They said they would let us know within 24 hours by phone if we were moving onto the next interview.... 1 hour hour later after I left the hiring event I got a call back to another 1-1 interview. I went and it was very easy, just asking about my past etc..

I did one more into interview 2 days later. Got a call back the next day to offer me a job.

The main point I can give while going through the hiring process, is to just be youeself, have a passion for Apple products, and have a smile on your have.

Interview Questions

• Why Apple?
      Tell me about yourself?
      What is so special besides Apple
      Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Pointe-Claire, QC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Pointe-Claire, QC (Canada)) in March 2017.

Interview

We sat in the store that had 3 tables with our name tags. We put our name tags on so that they can mark you throughout.

We did a group interview that lasted 2 hours.
    1. Introduce our partner and their passions etc
    2. Do sales role play with a team of 5-6 people. Selling an iPhone.
    3. Did 2 scenarios with a partner, did employee and customer role. 1st was a customer comes in and is a teacher. 2nd is a fitness guru comes in and wants to buy a product to help his exercise. You have to do customer-employee role play.

Throughout this, we saw about 6-8 videos lasting 2-5 mins of average and were asked to talk about it and what we thought. Here they want you to talk and see how you maintain eye contact etc, idk.

Process was English. Made people volunteer to read things in French.

Question period at the end.

4-5 employees around the room just marking you seeing how you are in a group, etc.

Really relaxed and inviting.

Chairs were not really comfortable. lol.

Interview Questions

• What did you think of the video?   Answer Question
    • Was there anything in the video that you found surprising?   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Surrey, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple (Surrey, BC (Canada)) in January 2017.

Interview

Group interview, 17 people total. Started off with watching company videos and asked for our feedback. Last task was to go into a group and do a group skit on a product demonstrating our customer service skills. I thought my group did well however none of us got to move on. Highly recommend if you do the group interview to just be yourself and very outgoing try to answer the questions after the videos. Good luck :)

Interview Questions

• What did you recognize after the video?   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Markham, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Markham, ON (Canada)) in October 2016.

Interview

Casual, two geniuses with store manager interviewing me. They brought me out of the store and we began to do the interview. They would ask some questions and they would answer themselves while I answered last. After that they told me I would have to wait 24-48 hours to know if I got an offer or not.

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Apple (London, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

Applied mid-June. Didn't hear back until early September, where I got a call from the Apple Store in question.

Interview 1 - I (and the others at this interview) seemed to skip the hiring event; my first interview was simply in the Apple Store itself. Hiring manager came up, introduced herself, and we had a fairly candid conversation as we passed an iPad around to collect our contact info.

Afterwards, she asked a bunch of fairly standard interview questions, wanting to get to know us and our past work experience. Answering was freeform, I mostly tried to stay middle/end of the pack unless people were reluctant to answer, in which case I tried to show initiative.

The interviewer in this case was friendly and very open, admitted that there wasn't specifically an opening and that we may not get a job offer for months even if we were deemed suitable for a role. Emailed her my availability, and got a call back a few days later for a phone interview.

Interview 2 - Phone interview with the 2nd hiring manager. Longer since its 1-on-1, more focused on past work experience. Lasted ~30 minutes since it took place around half an hour before their store was set to open that weekend. She seemed a little more interested in my answers, maybe because it was a 1-on-1 and she had the time for it. Just try to over-exaggerate your emotions if you get a phone interview since your voice is more monotone when transmitted through the phone.

Interview 3 - To come. Face-to-face interview with 2 managers tomorrow. Will make a follow-up post regarding how things go.

From what I heard, individual interviews are not difficult, but they gradually find which candidate(s) are most suited to their personal preferences, so it can be brutal to get through several stages before being declined. Will try not to get my hopes up :P

Interview Questions

• Interview 1:
      - "Tell me about yourself."
      - "Name a time you helped out someone who needed it badly."
      - "Why Apple?"

Interview 2:
      - "Tell me about yourself."
      - "Name a time you had to handle an unruly customer."
      - "What's your proudest accomplishment?"
      - "Name a time you had to handle a heavy workload. How did you manage the stress?"
      Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Vancouver, BC (Canada)) in August 2016.

Interview

For those who have just started researching Apple interview process, I had read 150+ reviews on glass door prior to my interview and it seems like generally Apple does 3 interviews in total. First is a hiring event where there is 30-60+ applicants who do group interviews so they can see who fits their culture, second is an in-store interview with a hiring manager where they dive deeper into getting to know you better, and the third interview is an in-store interview with the Team leader (store manager) where they get to the technical questions such as availability, situational questions and behavioral questions.

My interview experience:

In my case they had me skip the first interview process and called me directly in for a 1-on-1 interview with the hiring manager. I'm thinking it's because it's close to Christmas season and they want to hire people quickly for both the new iPhone launch and Christmas season.

The interview with the hiring manager was the most relaxed interview I have been to so far in life. It was in the store on the sales floor at one of the side tables during a busy time in the afternoon. I felt it might have been better to go out of the store because of how busy and loud it was, but I guess in their eyes its acceptable because if you work there, you have to be used to it.
    The hiring manager mostly asked questions about my previous jobs in relation to Apple products. Read below for all the questions I was asked. The hiring manger was very easy to talk to and he made me feel less nervous with the way he spoke and how nice we was. At the end of the interview he gave me advice on what he thinks I did well with and what I could work on for the next interview with the Team leader.
    During the interview the hiring manager had told me that almost always, people are hired Part time first, and only tenured people earn full-time status as the position becomes available. This stuck in my mind during the interview because I had specifically put on my application that I was looking for a full-time position and they did not tell me it was only for part-time until I came in for the interview.

The hiring manager seemed very happy with my interview and told me that I would for-sure be receiving a phone call that very night to schedule the interview with the Team Leader the next day. Unfortunately, I waited until late that very night and didn't receive a single phone call. I expected to receive one the next day but that didn't happen either. He made it clear that they want to hire people fairly quickly with a quick start-date, so I was quite sad that after being told how well I did I would receive a call, but I didn't receive one. Not even a call to tell me that I wasn't getting an interview with the Team Leader. I had high expectations that being Apple, there would be a high level of professionalism and they would contact everyone who is interviewed to tell them whether they want to proceed or not.
    After the interview I had already had it in my mind that I was going to decline the second interview because I needed a full-time position despite Apple being a company I would have loved to work.

From the other reviews I had read it seems like every store location is a bit different, which means the way the interview process goes might be different.

Interview Questions

• What would be the biggest change from working at your last job to working at the Apple store?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your most recent job. How does your experience relate to the position your applying for?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work for Apple?   Answer Question
    • Tell me a time you had to give or receive criticism from a coworker. How did they handle it?   Answer Question
    • What is AppleCare?   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple in July 2016.

Interview

It took 2 months. I had passed 4 interviews at Apple store. Mostly I had 4 interviews in person. Not the group. It was very happy to get offered my job from Apple store 😘