Apple Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apple Specialist Interview Questions

Updated Mar 20, 2017

2.9

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hey guys! Here's my review of Apple's interview process. I hope this helps any potential Apple employees in their quest to join Apple! So I applied back in September actually. I didn't hear back at all. I then re-applied at the beginning of this month again and I heard back within a week about attending the hiring event.

Hiring Event: I read so many articles and nearly all of them said that the hiring event would have 70+ people. Mine only had 15 so I guess I lucked out a little. We were told to sign in and wait. Make sure you start smiling and greeting every Apple employee you see as soon as you enter the hotel?banquet hall, etc. They will start grading you the moment you enter. Start up a conversation with a couple people. This shows you're a people person and not a wallflower. We were lead in shortly after and we had introductions. All of the Apple employees introduced themselves and then we introduced ourselves. We were asked to say something about ourselves that is unique. After introductions, we were broken up into groups of 5. We passed around an iPad that had questions on it and took turns answering the questions. Make sure you seem engaged and try to tell a story with your answer. Don't just give a one word answer. Once that was over, we re-convened in the big group. We were shown videos about Apple and everyone gave a rundown about their role. After that, they asked if we had questions. Make sure you have some ready! Good ones too. Questions that will get them thinking and challenge them. They like that. I was offered the next interview right after the hiring event. It took roughly 45 minutes.

Second Interview: I had the second interview two days later at the store that I will be working at. It lasted about 30 minutes. It was all personal questions. They want to get to know you so make sure you have good answers for questions such as, "What's your hobby?", "What are you passionate about?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "Why Apple?". Don't give one word responses. Again, craft a story with your words. Think of a personal experience and relate that to the question. I was offered the the interview right after.

Third Interview: I had this interview 2 days after the second one. I expected to have a one on one but I had an interview with another gentleman. Keep in mind this isn't meant to be a competition and chances are the person you are interviewing alongside didn't even apply for the same role as you so don't get nervous. Try to speak first when possible. This interview had harder questions but if you remain calm and think for a second, you should be okay. I was asked questions like, "Name a time where you had to deal with an unruly customer", "Name the most profound experience you had with a customer", "Name a time where you were overwhelmed with projects and how you dealt with it". Again, not to awful. All in all, this interview challenged me to think outside the box and craft my answers accordingly. I got a call 2 hours later inviting me to attend the fourth interview.

Fourth Interview: This is usually the last interview for most people unless you are applying for a higher role. This interview was days after my third interview. It took place with the market leader, myself, and two other gentlemen who also applied for jobs. This one was more technical in nature so heads up. They can ask you anything from the 3 Mac's Apple offers, difference between android and iOS, difference between an SSD & HDD, explain RAM, Hard Drive, & Processor, etc. If Apple is launching a new product, know that product inside and out. I was only asked one technical question however. I was also asked what my passion in life is so when asked that, let the passion soak up the room! Let your passion take over and encapsulate everyone! I was told I'd get a response within 24-48 hours and I got one 4 days later with an offer. Don't worry if you don't get a call within the 24-48 hour time frame. Apple prides themselves on reaching out to their applicants. You will get a call.

In conclusion: Apple looks more at how you talk than what you know. Their whole mantra is, "we can teach you about technology but we can't teach you to be confident, talk to people, not be an mean, etc." So keep that in mind. It's okay if you don't know the answer to a question but don't just say "I don't know". Apple loves stories so let your inner J.K. Rowling out! All in all, be confident, smile a lot, don't be nervous, and stay calm! That will take you very far in the job process! Good luck everyone!

I posted the interview as "difficult". My reason was not that the questions were difficult, but rather that you have 4+ interviews so it becomes difficult to keep the energy going, not to repeat yourself too much, come across personable, etc. Hope that helps!

Interview Questions

• What is your passion in life? Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer. Explain RAM, Hard Drive, and Processor. Why Apple? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Name a time you had to deal with an unruly customer.   23 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Very simple and laid back interview, was meant more to determine my personality and customer service skills than technical knowledge. Does take a while however to setup interviews and hear back after them.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

I went through 4 different job interviews and I did not get the job. The first interview was a group interview with at least 25 other people. The second interview was one-on-one with a lower ranking manager, then the last two were with the two store leads. Even though (I felt like) I nailed each interview and I went to four different interviews, I did not get the job. I know that Apple is allowed to have some level of elitism due to their brand, but four interviews is pretty ridiculous! Every time I tell someone about my trials to get a job with apple their jaws literally drop.

Interview Questions

• Icebreaker: What is your favorite breakfast cereal and how does it describe you?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Tempe, AZ) in March 2017.

Interview

This whole process is a bit extensive, however they try to make it as fun/interesting as possible.

I had put in an application about a month ago with a recommendation from a friend who works in a different store than the one I was applying at. I was told that if you had a referral from a current employee you pretty much got to skip most of the waiting and get an invitation to a hiring event as soon as the next one rolls around...And they were right! About a month afterwards I still hadn't heard anything, so I decided to give the store a call. I asked to speak to a hiring manager to see if I could schedule an interview, and once I got ahold of him and he saw that I had a referral, he helped me out and got me scheduled at the next hiring event immediately!

THE FIRST INTERVIEW: This was actually my second time having a "first interview" at the Apple Store, and both of the experiences were pretty identical. I got to the store about 15-20 minutes ahead of the time I was supposed to be there, I walked in and introduced myself to one of the employees and let them know that I was there to interview. They greeted me and let me know that there were several other applicants also waiting at the store, and that we were going to have to wait with each other and introduce ourselves while the manager got prepared for a group interview. After waiting for *about* 30 min or so, people who applied with me stopped pouring in when there were about 16 of us. After standing there with all of our introductions made and some light conversation, the manager finally came out and grabbed all of us. Since the store was in a mall, he took us to the nearby sitting area and had us move the chairs and tables around in a circle so we could all face each other. After some short introductions, he actually told us right off the bat that since that particular store was actually very new and one of the largest in the area, he only had 2 open positions within the store and over 1,000 applicants in that hiring round alone. He said he just wanted to start with that so we understood that even if we didn't hear back from him that day, it's not a "no", but rather, a "No, for now". So, we continued the hiring session by starting off with "personal" interviews. We had to find a partner and spend 2 minutes interviewing each other and learning all that we could about each other, and then presenting it to the group afterwards. *ADVICE: Make sure you get a good partner who's a bubbly person that's not afraid to talk and present you in a good manner. They will set the first impressions everyone gets from you!!*
    So after we had finished going around the table and presenting each other to the group, we were told to seperate into two large groups of about 5-6 people and start using the iPads that were brought out to answer some group questions. Basically, the questions were hidden on the iPad until you clicked on the numbered bubbles on the screen. The question would be read aloud within your group and anyone had the chance to volunteer a response to any question. The manager just walked around and listened in on the conversations that were happening as he walked by, so it's VERY IMPORTANT That whenever you get a chance to talk, try to be the first one doing so. It's a participation activity and since the manager only has a few seconds to listen in on the convo, the more they hear your voice, the better.
    After going around answering the questions, we reconvened as a group and were asked more "traditional" interview questions. These were mandatory questions that you could not opt out of, unlike the previous participation-style questions. After all that was done, he said that that was the conclusion of the hiring event and he opened it up to any questions we had for him. Think of this portion as another "participation grade" because they will look forward to you asking them questions. Be prepared with at least 1 or 2 good ones just in case.

Overall, The whole process took about 1.5 hours from beginning to end, so don't go in expecting to be done soon afterwards. Make sure you're participating as much as possible, be active, not reactive, and most importantly; have fun! Apple truly does hire off of your personality, not really what you know. As long as you show you're passionate and are there to truly contribute something to the company rather than getting a paycheck, they'll ask you to come back.

Interview path: one thing to know is that Apple is not an "I need a job tomorrow" job. The whole process is meant to take time to weed out the individuals who don't truly want to be there. The first interview will always be a group interview. From there, if you pass, you will be invited back to a one-on-one (or very small group, 1-2 people) interview with the Team Leader (Store Assistant Manager), then from there another single interview with the Store Leader (Store Manager), then a final interview with the Market Leader (basically district manager).

Interview Questions

• What was a time where one of your work days had ended up being nothing like what you had planned for it to be the night before?   Answer Question
    • Describe a time where your patience at work truly helped you solve a difficult situation.   Answer Question
    • If I asked you to do one thing right now that would make you uncomfortable, what would that thing be?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Applied and received an email from a talent recruiter a day later for an interview at a nearby store. I already knew people working at Apple, so I had an idea of what the questions would be like and I was prepared for three rounds of interviews. When you receive the email, you RSVP a day and time for the interview. On the day of the initial interview, I walked into the designated Apple store and was directed to sit in at the "setup" table in the back of the store. I was with five other people. We were interviewed by a Store Leader and a Senior Manager. Main thing: Don't come off as stiff and boring. I was stuck at two questions but made jokes and answered every question as if I'm having a normal conversation. Some of the others I was interviewing with were WAY more experienced than I was but were too serious and bad mouthed their previous jobs and coworkers—DO NOT DO THIS! Share interesting facts about yourself that make them remember you. I honestly made it up, not even gonna lie. My only interesting story was that I played the violin but the other interviewees were coming from working with Amazon and one girl was related to Bruce Willis??! You have to be memorable and be a team player. They narrow people down by inviting to a second and third interview but I only had one since I had two people from Apple who gave me a referral.

Interview Questions

• Describe one time you initiated an idea and it failed, and how did you react?
      How would you handle a difficult customer?
      What are you passionate about?
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Greene, OH

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Greene, OH) in March 2017.

Interview

The entire process from start to finish was 5 months. I applied for the position at end of October in 2016. I didn't get a call for a phone interview until the middle of January 2017. After the phone interview you go to the hiring event. It was really fun. There was at least 40 people at the first hiring event. They will tell you "it's not a no it's a not now". About a week later I went through one more group interview and then a week after that I met with the district manager. After I met with her I got an email saying to redo the Apple application. Another week goes by and they say they want to offer me the position I just have to complete the new application and then do the background check. After all of the checked out 2 more weeks later first week of March I was "officially" offered a job at Apple.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (San Jose, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

They have a 2-hour hiring event where they present their staff and way of work. People are divided into groups. After the explanation, they sit with the groups and ask people to answer some questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell about a time you worked in a team and the outcome   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Applied online through a referral. Heard back within three weeks to attend a hiring event. Went through three rounds of interviews after. After final interview was hired for position after a week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you didn't know how to handle a situation and what steps you took?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

We signed in upon arrival at the interview. We put on our name badges and sat around one of the tables towards the back of the store. We were introduced to our interviewer and we proceeded to introduce ourselves. We were asked to provide our name, our passion and our favorite song. The questions began shortly via tablet. We had to press a button that revealed an interview question as we passed along the tablet and answered accordingly. There were about 8 of us there and had to finish within the allotted one hour time window. We only got about 1-2 questions each. Towards the end we were asked if we had any questions and that was it.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you had met with someone or a group to form an alliance.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Was sent a link to apply from a recruiter via LinkedIn. Applied online and a couple days a later was invited to do an interview at their corporate office. You choose a slot time you would like to attend and show up in a smart casual attire. It was a group interview in a conference room with 6 other candidates and 2 recruiters. If they want to proceed there will 2 more interviews.

Interview Questions

• 1. Why do you want this position?
      2. Explain a situation you were in with an irate customer
      3. Explain a situation you were in with a difficult co worker
      4. You will role play (customer/specialist) in (insert situation here) you will do both with different people.
      5. Do you have any questions?
      Answer Question