Apple Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jul 27, 2017

2.9

867 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hey guys! Here's my review of Apple's interview process. I hope this helps any potential Apple employees in their quest to join Apple! So I applied back in September actually. I didn't hear back at all. I then re-applied at the beginning of this month again and I heard back within a week about attending the hiring event.

Hiring Event: I read so many articles and nearly all of them said that the hiring event would have 70+ people. Mine only had 15 so I guess I lucked out a little. We were told to sign in and wait. Make sure you start smiling and greeting every Apple employee you see as soon as you enter the hotel?banquet hall, etc. They will start grading you the moment you enter. Start up a conversation with a couple people. This shows you're a people person and not a wallflower. We were lead in shortly after and we had introductions. All of the Apple employees introduced themselves and then we introduced ourselves. We were asked to say something about ourselves that is unique. After introductions, we were broken up into groups of 5. We passed around an iPad that had questions on it and took turns answering the questions. Make sure you seem engaged and try to tell a story with your answer. Don't just give a one word answer. Once that was over, we re-convened in the big group. We were shown videos about Apple and everyone gave a rundown about their role. After that, they asked if we had questions. Make sure you have some ready! Good ones too. Questions that will get them thinking and challenge them. They like that. I was offered the next interview right after the hiring event. It took roughly 45 minutes.

Second Interview: I had the second interview two days later at the store that I will be working at. It lasted about 30 minutes. It was all personal questions. They want to get to know you so make sure you have good answers for questions such as, "What's your hobby?", "What are you passionate about?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "Why Apple?". Don't give one word responses. Again, craft a story with your words. Think of a personal experience and relate that to the question. I was offered the the interview right after.

Third Interview: I had this interview 2 days after the second one. I expected to have a one on one but I had an interview with another gentleman. Keep in mind this isn't meant to be a competition and chances are the person you are interviewing alongside didn't even apply for the same role as you so don't get nervous. Try to speak first when possible. This interview had harder questions but if you remain calm and think for a second, you should be okay. I was asked questions like, "Name a time where you had to deal with an unruly customer", "Name the most profound experience you had with a customer", "Name a time where you were overwhelmed with projects and how you dealt with it". Again, not to awful. All in all, this interview challenged me to think outside the box and craft my answers accordingly. I got a call 2 hours later inviting me to attend the fourth interview.

Fourth Interview: This is usually the last interview for most people unless you are applying for a higher role. This interview was days after my third interview. It took place with the market leader, myself, and two other gentlemen who also applied for jobs. This one was more technical in nature so heads up. They can ask you anything from the 3 Mac's Apple offers, difference between android and iOS, difference between an SSD & HDD, explain RAM, Hard Drive, & Processor, etc. If Apple is launching a new product, know that product inside and out. I was only asked one technical question however. I was also asked what my passion in life is so when asked that, let the passion soak up the room! Let your passion take over and encapsulate everyone! I was told I'd get a response within 24-48 hours and I got one 4 days later with an offer. Don't worry if you don't get a call within the 24-48 hour time frame. Apple prides themselves on reaching out to their applicants. You will get a call.

In conclusion: Apple looks more at how you talk than what you know. Their whole mantra is, "we can teach you about technology but we can't teach you to be confident, talk to people, not be an mean, etc." So keep that in mind. It's okay if you don't know the answer to a question but don't just say "I don't know". Apple loves stories so let your inner J.K. Rowling out! All in all, be confident, smile a lot, don't be nervous, and stay calm! That will take you very far in the job process! Good luck everyone!

I posted the interview as "difficult". My reason was not that the questions were difficult, but rather that you have 4+ interviews so it becomes difficult to keep the energy going, not to repeat yourself too much, come across personable, etc. Hope that helps!

Interview Questions

• What is your passion in life? Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer. Explain RAM, Hard Drive, and Processor. Why Apple? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Name a time you had to deal with an unruly customer.   24 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews. First with a Store manager with 4 other people. Second interview 2 on 1 with store leader and store manager for my final interview I met with a marketing manager

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Was referred by two employees, went through a large group interview at first. Then it dwindled to about half the number for the second interview. Lastly, I met with 3 managers separately, one on one.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time where you had to deal with a disgruntled customer? If so, explain the situation and how you handled it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple (San Diego, CA).

Interview

First interview was a large group interview where you really had to participate to stand out. Second interview was with the market leader and a senior manager. Was hired after second interview but know of others who had third and even fourth interviews. Transferred to a different store and had three interviews just to change stores. This company loves interviews.

Interview Questions

• Lots of "Tell me about a time when you..." questions mostly relating to customer interactions, difficult situations, problem solving, and personal/professional successes.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online through Apple's job website. I did not have an referrals, so I applied for multiple positions in multiple stores to up my chances. I received an email invitation for a phone interview about two weeks later, which allowed you to select a 20 minute time slot.

In the meantime, I went to the store closest to me to introduce myself to the managers so I could try to get an interview there (my interview was at a store farther away). The manager welcomed my resume and gave me his business card, but told me the hiring process is done online and a lot of people are also hired internally.

To prep for the interview, I went through every single question on Glassdoor and also watched several videos people posted online about their interview experience. I've never prepared for an interview more because working for Apple was a dream for me, and practicing answering the questions out loud made so much of a difference. I also really recommend practicing the "tell me about yourself" part, as every interviewer asked me this and also gave me an answer about themselves. They don't want to know about the you on your resume, they want to know your passions, if you have a pet, if you're a runner, if you have a really cool hobby, how long you've been in the area, etc.

When it was time for my first phone interview it started off with the interviewer telling me about himself, and then him asking me for my blurb. Each question he asked me I found on Glassdoor so I was really happy with the results. We seemed to really connect, which is another really important aspect. The more chatty you and your interviewer are, the better your chances. I also referenced back to my favorite retail experiences a lot, and talked about how happy I was in those jobs.

I received an email later that night about two hours after inviting me for an in person interview, which happened the next week. I arrived 30 minutes prior to the interview and looked around the store, and also chatted up 2 or so employees, mostly because I'm sure I looked super lost just standing there so they came to check in on me thinking I might be a customer. Use this to your advantage! The interview was with a different person, and we chatted about our hobbies and music tastes etc, leaving her with time to really only ask me two real "interview" questions. This really worked to my advantage, as she got to know me as a person and saw my personality fit Apple. She told me that she'll have the hiring team reach out to me to schedule a third interview, and that there would be 2 or so more most likely.

However, later that afternoon, about 4 hours after, I received a call from the original interviewer saying the person I had interviewed with today really connected with me and would like me to have a final interview over Facetime that night, in about an hour and a half.

The third, final interview ended up just being over the phone because the interviewer was on her to another meeting, but I think this worked to my advantage. I will say things can be a bit repetitive at this point, so I understand why people could get frustrated after going through 5 or 6 interviews. I really tried to highlight things that were unique about my life, because the interviewer felt passionate that everyone who worked at Apple had a really interesting life. I also made sure to mention the names of the employees I had talked to in the store. She asked me a lot of questions about my faults, which I prepared for but it did throw me off a bit. She also asked me what I thought the Specialist position was, so make sure you're knowledgable about the role (ask questions about it in previous interviews). She thanked me for my time and told me I'd hear back no later than the end of the week (it was the beginning of the week).

About 30 minutes later I got a request for a background check and a call from the original interviewer saying they were making me an offer. I will say I am lucky each of my interviews were one on one, especially since I applied with no referrals. I was prepared for 5 or so interviews, or just a denial, since I am a lot younger than a lot of the applicants. Apple is my dream company to work for and I am ecstatic.

Interview Questions

• What are two of your best qualities and two qualities that aren't your best?   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple in July 2017.

Interview

After applying, I was invited to attend a hiring event which I need to RSVP for as there were a limited number of spots available. There were less than ten interviewees there that morning and a brief delay, we were invited to sit down at a table and fill out a a single form. The form included experience with Apple, position applying for, etc.

There were two managers present and after splitting us into two groups, we were interviewed by taking turns to answer questions. The atmosphere is VERY informal and they make that clear right off the bat. Some of the questions were typical interview questions and some were more off the wall.

Some of the things I read about on glassdoor ahead of time was helpful but some of the things I read did not take place. There was no video shown to the group and there was not partnering off and interviewing.

Be prepared for an unorthodox interview and don't waste too much time researching products, your time would be better spent researching the company culture.

Interview Questions

• What is your Spirit Animal?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you had an upset customer and how did you solve their problem.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Apple Retail Store Hiring event. We met with other interviewees and we were asked questions so that the interviewer would get to know us better after having introduced ourselves

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online heard got an email for a phone interview then was offered an in person interview at the end of the conversation at the store. Waiting to hear back about offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in June 2017.

Interview

Applied online and got a response in 3 days for an interview. Arrived and found out it was a group interview of about 10 people broken into two groups of 5. They ask about 5 questions and then each person in the group answers individually. If you pass the first group interview you'll be emailed or called back within 7-10 days to come back for a second interview. The first interview suggests "business casual" attire but most men were wearing a shirt and tie. The second interview is more technical and one-on-one. I applied for full-time but all they had available was part-time. I wish they would have told me it was part-time before inviting me for an interview. Nonetheless, it was still a good experience.

Interview Questions

• Introduce yourself (name and where you are from or currently living)

Describe a difficult encounter with a customer and how you handled it.

What is your favorite Apple product?

Tell us about a time that you received excellent customer service.   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Application

The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

The interview was with one other candidate and the interviewer said that they still had more people to interview. Your personality is more important than your answers. If you're an extrovert you'll do fine. I knew I wasn't getting an offer the moment I left because I wasn't as outgoing as the other person.