Apple Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 19, 2017

2.9

939 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hey guys! Here's my review of Apple's interview process. I hope this helps any potential Apple employees in their quest to join Apple! So I applied back in September actually. I didn't hear back at all. I then re-applied at the beginning of this month again and I heard back within a week about attending the hiring event.

Hiring Event: I read so many articles and nearly all of them said that the hiring event would have 70+ people. Mine only had 15 so I guess I lucked out a little. We were told to sign in and wait. Make sure you start smiling and greeting every Apple employee you see as soon as you enter the hotel?banquet hall, etc. They will start grading you the moment you enter. Start up a conversation with a couple people. This shows you're a people person and not a wallflower. We were lead in shortly after and we had introductions. All of the Apple employees introduced themselves and then we introduced ourselves. We were asked to say something about ourselves that is unique. After introductions, we were broken up into groups of 5. We passed around an iPad that had questions on it and took turns answering the questions. Make sure you seem engaged and try to tell a story with your answer. Don't just give a one word answer. Once that was over, we re-convened in the big group. We were shown videos about Apple and everyone gave a rundown about their role. After that, they asked if we had questions. Make sure you have some ready! Good ones too. Questions that will get them thinking and challenge them. They like that. I was offered the next interview right after the hiring event. It took roughly 45 minutes.

Second Interview: I had the second interview two days later at the store that I will be working at. It lasted about 30 minutes. It was all personal questions. They want to get to know you so make sure you have good answers for questions such as, "What's your hobby?", "What are you passionate about?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "Why Apple?". Don't give one word responses. Again, craft a story with your words. Think of a personal experience and relate that to the question. I was offered the the interview right after.

Third Interview: I had this interview 2 days after the second one. I expected to have a one on one but I had an interview with another gentleman. Keep in mind this isn't meant to be a competition and chances are the person you are interviewing alongside didn't even apply for the same role as you so don't get nervous. Try to speak first when possible. This interview had harder questions but if you remain calm and think for a second, you should be okay. I was asked questions like, "Name a time where you had to deal with an unruly customer", "Name the most profound experience you had with a customer", "Name a time where you were overwhelmed with projects and how you dealt with it". Again, not to awful. All in all, this interview challenged me to think outside the box and craft my answers accordingly. I got a call 2 hours later inviting me to attend the fourth interview.

Fourth Interview: This is usually the last interview for most people unless you are applying for a higher role. This interview was days after my third interview. It took place with the market leader, myself, and two other gentlemen who also applied for jobs. This one was more technical in nature so heads up. They can ask you anything from the 3 Mac's Apple offers, difference between android and iOS, difference between an SSD & HDD, explain RAM, Hard Drive, & Processor, etc. If Apple is launching a new product, know that product inside and out. I was only asked one technical question however. I was also asked what my passion in life is so when asked that, let the passion soak up the room! Let your passion take over and encapsulate everyone! I was told I'd get a response within 24-48 hours and I got one 4 days later with an offer. Don't worry if you don't get a call within the 24-48 hour time frame. Apple prides themselves on reaching out to their applicants. You will get a call.

In conclusion: Apple looks more at how you talk than what you know. Their whole mantra is, "we can teach you about technology but we can't teach you to be confident, talk to people, not be an mean, etc." So keep that in mind. It's okay if you don't know the answer to a question but don't just say "I don't know". Apple loves stories so let your inner J.K. Rowling out! All in all, be confident, smile a lot, don't be nervous, and stay calm! That will take you very far in the job process! Good luck everyone!

I posted the interview as "difficult". My reason was not that the questions were difficult, but rather that you have 4+ interviews so it becomes difficult to keep the energy going, not to repeat yourself too much, come across personable, etc. Hope that helps!

Interview Questions

• What is your passion in life? Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer. Explain RAM, Hard Drive, and Processor. Why Apple? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Name a time you had to deal with an unruly customer.   24 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews. First with a Store manager with 4 other people. Second interview 2 on 1 with store leader and store manager for my final interview I met with a marketing manager

Anonymous Employee in Huntington Beach, CA

Application

The process took 5+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Huntington Beach, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied in the beginning of September end of August I didn’t hear back until mid September I got contacted asking to set up an interview I was given the option to choose between three days I picked one and about a week later I get a call asking if we can reschedule the interview because the Apple launch and it was pushed back I got to again choose what day and once I did everything was good I was told to bring in my resume and to dress semi casual and to arrive early. Now to the day!! I showed up about 15 early and I introduced myself to the team member standing at the door saying I was here for the interview. I was told to wait here and they will be out shortly I was the first one to show up and a few minutes later the next person came in and we made small talk getting to know each other a little and the next person walked in and we also involved him in the conversation and we were greeted by the hiring manager and we will walk outside to the table (large outside shopping center) on our way to the table he asked our name and how our day was. We sat down and he asked if we had our resumes and we handed them over to home I brought 3 and he only needed one (oops ) he told us what positions were available and he also told us if it was part time or full time we then began the interview over all it was very basic questions mainly to get a better understanding of us and what we are like and what our hobbies are. I will list the questions that I do remember. After a few questions he told us that for that location they needed the person to be fully available Sunday and Monday and he handed us a paper and pen and asked us to fill it out the paper included our name contact information and our available times to work, our preferred locations that we want to work and what products we are familiar with everything is easy and for the products you just mark next to the ones that are on the page you don’t have to write them in. He asked us if we had any questions for him and after that the interview was over and he mentioned that it’s harder to get into Apple then most places and if we don’t get a call back or email to feel lucky and proud that we had this opportunity and in a few months try again. He told us that we will be getting a call or email and from there we had said our goodbyes and left. I got a call today ( October 9th) asking if I was able to come in for a second interview (fingers crossed I have my interview on Wednesday ( October 11th)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for apple   Answer Question
    • Tell me something about yourself and what your passion about   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question
    • They asked a question about conflict with a co worker and how I handled the situation   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY).

Interview

Apple starts with group interviews to get an idea of how you interact with other people. These group interviews are usually friendly and focus on teamwork. Activities are usually fairly straightforward like roleplaying a conversation between you and a customer looking for sales help. Hiring staff bases their choices on your personality and enthusiasm during these activities. While it doesn't hurt to have technical knowledge about Apple's products, it is not necessary to know how to fix computers or know all of the technical details behind Apple's products. They are looking for friendly, genuine people.

After the group interviews, Apple will mix it up between one on one and one on two interviews at their flagship stores or at their corporate locations. They also do phone interviews. Some people I work with have said they had 2 phone interviews, 1 solo and then they were hired. I had one group interview, a one on one interview, and then a one on two interviews before I was offered the job.

I've found that interviews for this role have been heavily based on how you interact with management, whether you're a level-headed thinker, and that you want the best solution for the customer.

Apple is obsessed with"Lominger competencies" to help define what each individual needs to practice for their current role or for a role that they aspire to apply for. Integrating these competencies into your answers will have a great effect on the interview.

Typical competencies for specialist:
    Customer focus
    Teamwork
    Patience
    Dealing with ambiguity

The definitions for these can be found if you Google "Lominger Competencies"

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had to give feedback to a manager or boss.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you gave feedback to another employee and it didn't go well. How did you rectify the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Austin, TX) in October 2017.

Interview

Apple Store interview process, I've read, can take up to 5+ interviews. Begins with an hour-long, group activity of 8 candidates and 2 staff, which I describe below. We were told to come prepared with a copy of our resume. No bonus points for coming prepared with our own pen or paper for the group activity. At the end we were told to leave our resumes at our seats, along with our questionnaires, presumable so they could associate our faces/seating/questions with our resumes.

Response (and rejection) is swift. They say 24-48 hour notification of advancement in the process or rejection by phone or email. I got my rejection email to my phone within the hour.

Interview Questions

• Group discussion: What working at Apple means to you.   1 Answer

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apple in October 2017.

Interview

First round: One-on-one interview with a store team leader. It was clear he had read my resume and cover letter carefully, and he asked questions that were not about specific technological skills or experience, but about my experiences interacting with people in challenging circumstances.
    Second round: A two-on-one interview, this time with a store leader and a regional manager, somewhat more focused on the specific job, but still in terms of the expectations for customer interactions, NOT specific technical knowledge or abilities. At the end of the second interview I was told that it was the final step in the process, and that I would hear from someone in two days. (I've indicated that I did not get an offer, since, as of this writing, those two days have not yet passed.)
    In both cases the invitation to ask my own questions presented an opportunity to show both that I had done some investigative homework, and that I was considering carefully what work in the Apple Store might be like. That's a valuable opportunity. Don't go in without a couple of good questions prepared. It also seems to be helpful to answer questions with real stories that include specifics, rather than generic descriptions of how you try to handle generic situations.

Interview Questions

• "How have you dealt with a customer who was unhappy?"   Answer Question
    • "When have you gone well beyond a customer's expectations?"   Answer Question
    • "How do you learn about technology?"   Answer Question
    • "Describe an occasion when you shared feedback about work with either a superior or a colleague."   Answer Question
    • "What questions do you have for us?"   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Costa Mesa, CA).

Interview

It was a two-step interview, beginning with a group interview that was high-pressure yet fun and culminating in a one-on-one interview with the store leader. The process was His and efficient and I got an offer within two weeks of my initial contact.

Interview Questions

• Tell me one situation in which you were faced with a difficult customer and what did you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Sacramento, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Originally was so suppose to be a group of 5 or so, but no showed and it was just me. I interviewed with the Genius Lead. It’s very important to be your self and authentic. Apple doesn’t care how much you know about technology, but it may help you advance once in.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an instance where you had a customer you couldn’t please   Answer Question
    • Tell me about an instance in which you went above and beyond for a customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Thousand Oaks, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Thousand Oaks, CA) in September 2017.

Interview

Applied online and received an email three weeks later inviting me to join a group interview that would be held in two weeks.

Including me there were four interviewees, we sat in a corner of the store on stools facing the manager. Interview lasted an hour. I did my best to be vocal from the start and went first for the introductions. We were encouraged to talk about our passions and what we would do if we had unlimited cash and free time. I had a sense it was going great for the first 10-15 minutes until he asked the first question.

"When was a time you helped someone close to you through a tough time?"

I've never had a question like this in an interview before, particularly in a group. I was trying desperately to remember anything else, but all I could think about was something I didn't particularly want to share. I was the last to respond and it was still all I could think about so I went ahead. Is this supposed to be an interview or a therapy session? I did my best to move on from that question and not let it get to me, but I felt super awkward for the rest of the interview.

There were four questions in total, and at the end he asked if we had any questions for him. I recommend thinking carefully about this. Unfortunately I think I was mentally checked out at this point as he had been making strong eye contact with everyone but me for the last 20 minutes of the interview. If I could do it again I would go prepared with as many great questions as I could think of. This seemed like a great way to end the interview on a strong note.

I received an email 24 hours later saying thank you, but they had decided to move on with other candidates.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you helped someone close to you through a tough time?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you encountered what you thought was an unreasonable customer and how did you deal with it?   Answer Question
    • When was a time you got results that exceeded everyone's expectations?   Answer Question
    • When was a time in your work that you experienced the most developmental progress and what did you take away from it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Paramus, NJ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Paramus, NJ) in September 2017.

Interview

It was a group interview with about 20 people. There were 2 people leading the interview. They gave us some moment to talk to the person next to you. And later they asked us to tell them what you learned about that person. At one point we were divided into 2 groups to solve a problem. It was very chill and fun interview overall.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to learn something really quickly.   Answer Question