Apple Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Aug 22, 2017

2.9

898 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Hey guys! Here's my review of Apple's interview process. I hope this helps any potential Apple employees in their quest to join Apple! So I applied back in September actually. I didn't hear back at all. I then re-applied at the beginning of this month again and I heard back within a week about attending the hiring event.

Hiring Event: I read so many articles and nearly all of them said that the hiring event would have 70+ people. Mine only had 15 so I guess I lucked out a little. We were told to sign in and wait. Make sure you start smiling and greeting every Apple employee you see as soon as you enter the hotel?banquet hall, etc. They will start grading you the moment you enter. Start up a conversation with a couple people. This shows you're a people person and not a wallflower. We were lead in shortly after and we had introductions. All of the Apple employees introduced themselves and then we introduced ourselves. We were asked to say something about ourselves that is unique. After introductions, we were broken up into groups of 5. We passed around an iPad that had questions on it and took turns answering the questions. Make sure you seem engaged and try to tell a story with your answer. Don't just give a one word answer. Once that was over, we re-convened in the big group. We were shown videos about Apple and everyone gave a rundown about their role. After that, they asked if we had questions. Make sure you have some ready! Good ones too. Questions that will get them thinking and challenge them. They like that. I was offered the next interview right after the hiring event. It took roughly 45 minutes.

Second Interview: I had the second interview two days later at the store that I will be working at. It lasted about 30 minutes. It was all personal questions. They want to get to know you so make sure you have good answers for questions such as, "What's your hobby?", "What are you passionate about?", "Where do you see yourself in 5 years?", "Why Apple?". Don't give one word responses. Again, craft a story with your words. Think of a personal experience and relate that to the question. I was offered the the interview right after.

Third Interview: I had this interview 2 days after the second one. I expected to have a one on one but I had an interview with another gentleman. Keep in mind this isn't meant to be a competition and chances are the person you are interviewing alongside didn't even apply for the same role as you so don't get nervous. Try to speak first when possible. This interview had harder questions but if you remain calm and think for a second, you should be okay. I was asked questions like, "Name a time where you had to deal with an unruly customer", "Name the most profound experience you had with a customer", "Name a time where you were overwhelmed with projects and how you dealt with it". Again, not to awful. All in all, this interview challenged me to think outside the box and craft my answers accordingly. I got a call 2 hours later inviting me to attend the fourth interview.

Fourth Interview: This is usually the last interview for most people unless you are applying for a higher role. This interview was days after my third interview. It took place with the market leader, myself, and two other gentlemen who also applied for jobs. This one was more technical in nature so heads up. They can ask you anything from the 3 Mac's Apple offers, difference between android and iOS, difference between an SSD & HDD, explain RAM, Hard Drive, & Processor, etc. If Apple is launching a new product, know that product inside and out. I was only asked one technical question however. I was also asked what my passion in life is so when asked that, let the passion soak up the room! Let your passion take over and encapsulate everyone! I was told I'd get a response within 24-48 hours and I got one 4 days later with an offer. Don't worry if you don't get a call within the 24-48 hour time frame. Apple prides themselves on reaching out to their applicants. You will get a call.

In conclusion: Apple looks more at how you talk than what you know. Their whole mantra is, "we can teach you about technology but we can't teach you to be confident, talk to people, not be an mean, etc." So keep that in mind. It's okay if you don't know the answer to a question but don't just say "I don't know". Apple loves stories so let your inner J.K. Rowling out! All in all, be confident, smile a lot, don't be nervous, and stay calm! That will take you very far in the job process! Good luck everyone!

I posted the interview as "difficult". My reason was not that the questions were difficult, but rather that you have 4+ interviews so it becomes difficult to keep the energy going, not to repeat yourself too much, come across personable, etc. Hope that helps!

Interview Questions

• What is your passion in life? Name a time you went above and beyond for a customer. Explain RAM, Hard Drive, and Processor. Why Apple? Where do you see yourself in 5 years? Name a time you had to deal with an unruly customer.   24 Answers

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY) in May 2017.

Interview

I went through 3 interviews. First with a Store manager with 4 other people. Second interview 2 on 1 with store leader and store manager for my final interview I met with a marketing manager

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

It was pretty much like the others said. I had 4 total interviews. The first was a "hiring event" where it was me and three other people. There supposed to be 5 of us, but one didn't come for whatever reason. We sat in the corner of the store and went around the circle introducing ourselves and answered 3 questions from the HR manager all "tell me a time when" type of questions. Familiarize yourself with the STAR method of interviewing. I received a phone call a couple of days later saying that I was to interview with another manager. I showed up on to the interview only to be told that I would be interviewing with someone different. This interview was one on one and also in the store. It was a tell me about yourself, why should we hire you, what are your passions type of interview. I was prepared more for a formal interview so the manager gave me feedback on selling my personality and the type of questions to ask in the next interview but said that he liked me. Got the call a few days later for a third interview. I took the feedback from the previous interview and beasted this one. I thought it would be the last one so I went in there like Jordan in the 4th focused. It wasn't. This manager really liked me and said I'd be meeting with the Marketing Manager next. I received the call for the 4th interview but it was at a different location. This one was a group interview again. The interview started almost 30 mins. late because the previous group took so long. She was laid back and cool. I didn't do as well on this one but I think I did just enough.

It took them 5 days after the interview to call me back and let me know that they were going to offer me a job. I had to fill out information for the background check and they gave me a start date for training.

Overall, be yourself. If you're a genuinely nice person and have Apple products, you should be good to go. Definitely sell yourself and let them know how much you like Apple.

Specialist Interview

Interview

Probably the worst interview process I have ever seen . I went to a hiring event with 6 other people , the process seems to focus more on if they like you instead of based on your experience or quelifications , really not worth the time.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY).

Interview

Apple starts with group interviews to get an idea of how you interact with other people. These group interviews are usually friendly and focus on teamwork. Activities are usually fairly straightforward like roleplaying a conversation between you and a customer looking for sales help. Hiring staff bases their choices on your personality and enthusiasm during these activities. While it doesn't hurt to have technical knowledge about Apple's products, it is not necessary to know how to fix computers or know all of the technical details behind Apple's products. They are looking for friendly, genuine people.

After the group interviews, Apple will mix it up between one on one and one on two interviews at their flagship stores or at their corporate locations. They also do phone interviews. Some people I work with have said they had 2 phone interviews, 1 solo and then they were hired. I had one group interview, a one on one interview, and then a one on two interviews before I was offered the job.

I've found that interviews for this role have been heavily based on how you interact with management, whether you're a level-headed thinker, and that you want the best solution for the customer.

Apple is obsessed with"Lominger competencies" to help define what each individual needs to practice for their current role or for a role that they aspire to apply for. Integrating these competencies into your answers will have a great effect on the interview.

Typical competencies for specialist:
    Customer focus
    Teamwork
    Patience
    Dealing with ambiguity

The definitions for these can be found if you Google "Lominger Competencies"

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had to give feedback to a manager or boss.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you gave feedback to another employee and it didn't go well. How did you rectify the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Interview

Hiring Event: I read so many articles and nearly all of them said…

Interview Questions

• What is your passion in life?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Carlsbad, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Overall, the process was about 3 rounds of interviews with different store managers and store leaders. The first round is a group interview where they ask you general interview type questions involving previous experiences with customers & coworkers. The second round is typically either a group interview or a one on one if you're lucky with a store leader. This is really the hardest part of the interview process where they ask you a lot of situational type interview questions and really try to get to know you better as a potential candidate. If you get to the third interview, typically it's an opportunity for a store lead to ask some more follow up interview questions with the intent of potentially considering hiring you.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Miami, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Miami, FL) in August 2017.

Interview

I applied online got an email within 30 minutes for an interview at a hiring event. I went ahead and RSVP my spot. I came to my interview and their was another 3 people we all filled out some information then met a leader from one of the local stores. She was very nice asked questions regarding our personal life. They asked NOTHING about Apple products. After the interview the leader told us she will be in contact with us within 3-5 business days. I was very nervous cause it was the 4th business day and I had no response. I got a call on Saturday night. They asked me to go to the store where I applied to for a second interview. When I arrived they asked me to wait in a corner. I was waiting for about 15 minutes the lady that had to interview me forgot she had scheduled me she sat me down in the Genius Bar and asked me some questions. Asked her some questions then she said we’ll be in contact to meet with the district manager. I thought it had gone great. But I was wrong I got a response Monday. The email said they would move to other candidates.

Specialist Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Was referred by two employees, went through a large group interview at first. Then it dwindled to about half the number for the second interview. Lastly, I met with 3 managers separately, one on one.

Interview Questions

• Was there ever a time where you had to deal with a disgruntled customer? If so, explain the situation and how you handled it   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Chicago, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

I applied online through Apple's job website. I did not have an referrals, so I applied for multiple positions in multiple stores to up my chances. I received an email invitation for a phone interview about two weeks later, which allowed you to select a 20 minute time slot.

In the meantime, I went to the store closest to me to introduce myself to the managers so I could try to get an interview there (my interview was at a store farther away). The manager welcomed my resume and gave me his business card, but told me the hiring process is done online and a lot of people are also hired internally.

To prep for the interview, I went through every single question on Glassdoor and also watched several videos people posted online about their interview experience. I've never prepared for an interview more because working for Apple was a dream for me, and practicing answering the questions out loud made so much of a difference. I also really recommend practicing the "tell me about yourself" part, as every interviewer asked me this and also gave me an answer about themselves. They don't want to know about the you on your resume, they want to know your passions, if you have a pet, if you're a runner, if you have a really cool hobby, how long you've been in the area, etc.

When it was time for my first phone interview it started off with the interviewer telling me about himself, and then him asking me for my blurb. Each question he asked me I found on Glassdoor so I was really happy with the results. We seemed to really connect, which is another really important aspect. The more chatty you and your interviewer are, the better your chances. I also referenced back to my favorite retail experiences a lot, and talked about how happy I was in those jobs.

I received an email later that night about two hours after inviting me for an in person interview, which happened the next week. I arrived 30 minutes prior to the interview and looked around the store, and also chatted up 2 or so employees, mostly because I'm sure I looked super lost just standing there so they came to check in on me thinking I might be a customer. Use this to your advantage! The interview was with a different person, and we chatted about our hobbies and music tastes etc, leaving her with time to really only ask me two real "interview" questions. This really worked to my advantage, as she got to know me as a person and saw my personality fit Apple. She told me that she'll have the hiring team reach out to me to schedule a third interview, and that there would be 2 or so more most likely.

However, later that afternoon, about 4 hours after, I received a call from the original interviewer saying the person I had interviewed with today really connected with me and would like me to have a final interview over Facetime that night, in about an hour and a half.

The third, final interview ended up just being over the phone because the interviewer was on her to another meeting, but I think this worked to my advantage. I will say things can be a bit repetitive at this point, so I understand why people could get frustrated after going through 5 or 6 interviews. I really tried to highlight things that were unique about my life, because the interviewer felt passionate that everyone who worked at Apple had a really interesting life. I also made sure to mention the names of the employees I had talked to in the store. She asked me a lot of questions about my faults, which I prepared for but it did throw me off a bit. She also asked me what I thought the Specialist position was, so make sure you're knowledgable about the role (ask questions about it in previous interviews). She thanked me for my time and told me I'd hear back no later than the end of the week (it was the beginning of the week).

About 30 minutes later I got a request for a background check and a call from the original interviewer saying they were making me an offer. I will say I am lucky each of my interviews were one on one, especially since I applied with no referrals. I was prepared for 5 or so interviews, or just a denial, since I am a lot younger than a lot of the applicants. Apple is my dream company to work for and I am ecstatic.

Interview Questions

• What are two of your best qualities and two qualities that aren't your best?   1 Answer