Apple Specialist Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jan 18, 2018

2.9

996 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Specialist Interview

Application

I interviewed at Apple in November 2017.

Interview

Phone Interview followed by a group interview at a hallway in the mall with three others candidates and two Apple Employees. The phone interview was a good experience. The group interview was a bad experience. One of the hiring managers kept looking down the hall away from the group for long periods while I was talking. He seemed to be judging me as I was talking and had a rude energy. The lack of disrespect as an interviewer was astounding. I wasn't sure if he was distracted by other people in the mall or if he had already made his mind up and didn't want to hear me speak so he was tuning me out. I felt an extreme lack of active listening and when he was looking away at the rest of the mall during my answers to the questions. The other candidates were extremely kind even though we were probably all nervous since it was a group interview. The other Apple employee had a good vibe and felt accepting. Two men interviewed us and it seemed like they gave preferential treatment to the men in the group throughout the interview. Overall, I was not impressed at all with this interview process because I didn't like the group aspect and I didn't feel welcomed or greeted fairly by the Apple employees.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Apple

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (King of Prussia, PA) in November 2017.

Interview

The interview was interesting, I arrived about 30 minutes early, sat down and waited for the process to begin. I did notice quite a lot of angry customers who wouldn't want to talk due to their technology breaking. I was introduced to the other people interviewing and this was only two older gentlemen. Once the interview started we sat in the corner of the store, by the entrance, and began answering questions. Afer this we played another question game on the iPad where we choose a number 1-6 and had to answer the question we picked. This was the final section of the interview and now it was just open for questions about roles, etc. They also had us fill out a questionnaire on how much we knew about Apple products going from beginner to expert and this also had our availability on it.

Interview Questions

• When was a time where you had to turn a customer's experience around?   Answer Question
    • What would you say is your passion, not technology related?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Gatos, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Los Gatos, CA) in November 2017.

Interview

It broke down into 3 simple interviews:

1. Group Interview
    2. Sr. Manager
    3. Store Manager

Emails are a major key to apple's communication when contacting you for the initial and follow up interviews. Best advice, be persistent and stay fresh in their minds. Follow up and say "thank you". Be yourself and original.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apple (Chicago, IL) in November 2017.

Interview

Group interview. They asked questions and allowed each candidate to answer them in the group setting in the store itself. Half the questions weren't pertaining the actual job. The other half were questions in terms of how you would help a customer...Basically scenario based. Seems like they want people who are willing to be helpful at all costs, but they are also looking for people that aren't giving cookie cutter answers.

Interview Questions

• What is your favorite song at the moment?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Omaha, NE).

Interview

I applied online, and then two weeks later I received an email telling me to sign up for a hiring event at my local Apple store. They tell you there may be up to 20 people there. My interview group only had 6 people, so it was more comfortable that way. The interview itself was calm and I enjoyed the questions they asked us. What I did not like was that they say by the latest you'll hear back no matter what by the next day. I had to call them, and then an entire day later I got an email telling me they were moving on with other candidates. I really hate when companies leave you in the dark.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (San Antonio, TX) in November 2017.

Interview

Got an email through employee referral asking to pick a date for an event interview. The interview was group based and there were two others with me, but they weren't necessarily applying for the same position. The interviewer asked for our availability, and then asked us to introduce ourselves and give some hobbies/passions etc. Afterwards, around three interview styled questions were asked and we all took turns giving our answers. No technical knowledge questions were asked, instead it seems that Apple is mostly interested in friendly/sociable people that are able to speak coherently... at least for the first interview. Just received a call asking for a 2nd interview, around a week after the first.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Nashville, TN) in November 2017.

Interview

First interview was a group interview. Five people were being interviewed. Second interview was with a store leader and a department leader as well. Questions began generically (describe a time when blank, when is the last time you had to deal with blank, etc.) and progressed into more job related questions (how comfortable are you with this product, have you ever worked in a customer-based environment before, etc.)

Interview Questions

• Name a time that you felt pressure to fulfill a goal and how did you overcome it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (Costa Mesa, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

this is part two of my apple interview review all together I had 3 interviews
    1. hiring manager
    2. store leader
    3. market leader
    the first interview I already made a review and when I got a call back for my second interview I was told the interview was with the store leader. the time of interview I showed up around 10 minutes early and when I entered apple I was greeted by the specialist by the door and I told her I was here for the interview and she told me to wait next to her and the store leader will come get me. after reading the reviews on here I remembered to make sire I have somewhat of a conversation with the employees so I asked her about her job and what she liked about it. yes they were simple questions but it got her talking and when the store leader walked up it looked good because I was trying to make an effort to connect with the team members. when we sat down for the interview he said it would be short and simple and he started about his roll at apple and why he picked apple and he asked me to tell him a little about me and my previous jobs and after he asked "why apple" this question being a manger he asks a lot in interviews so he knows when someone is being genuine and want to really work for apple. after that he asked if I had any questions for him and I asked what he was looking for. and he said someone what will work good in the store and be a part of the apple family he has. the interview was very easy and simple but its mostly to see my personality and how I work and a little about myself apple is really looking based on personality. and after that interview was over around 3pm I got a call around 8pm that night saying that they wanted to move me to the next step and I will interview with the market leader so the day of that interview I was overly excited and nervous. when I showed up to the apple store I seen 3 other people waiting and with there resumes ( I didn't bring one ) I was puzzled that I had to interview as a group again they were talking when I showed up and I joined but I stopped and started talking to a apple employee when the market leader showed up we went outside for our interview and it was like the second one very easy he told us about him and he asked why apple and we went around the table and talked and it was very easy just be yourself and don't overdo it the first interview with apple someone was giving examples from 5 different jobs that a big red flag and for this last interview someone was going above and beyond with his answers and it didn't feel real at all. I got a call back two days later saying I got it

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (New York, NY).

Interview

Apple starts with group interviews to get an idea of how you interact with other people. These group interviews are usually friendly and focus on teamwork. Activities are usually fairly straightforward like roleplaying a conversation between you and a customer looking for sales help. Hiring staff bases their choices on your personality and enthusiasm during these activities. While it doesn't hurt to have technical knowledge about Apple's products, it is not necessary to know how to fix computers or know all of the technical details behind Apple's products. They are looking for friendly, genuine people.

After the group interviews, Apple will mix it up between one on one and one on two interviews at their flagship stores or at their corporate locations. They also do phone interviews. Some people I work with have said they had 2 phone interviews, 1 solo and then they were hired. I had one group interview, a one on one interview, and then a one on two interviews before I was offered the job.

I've found that interviews for this role have been heavily based on how you interact with management, whether you're a level-headed thinker, and that you want the best solution for the customer.

Apple is obsessed with"Lominger competencies" to help define what each individual needs to practice for their current role or for a role that they aspire to apply for. Integrating these competencies into your answers will have a great effect on the interview.

Typical competencies for specialist:
    Customer focus
    Teamwork
    Patience
    Dealing with ambiguity

The definitions for these can be found if you Google "Lominger Competencies"

Interview Questions

• Tell us about a time where you had to give feedback to a manager or boss.   Answer Question
    • Tell us about a time where you gave feedback to another employee and it didn't go well. How did you rectify the situation?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Apple (Roseville, CA) in October 2017.

Interview

I applied online and got an online about 2 weeks later to sign up for a group interview.
    Interview 1: this was a group interview with 2 others and the store manger. We went to tables nearby the store and introduced ourselves, filled out paperwork, and were asked general questions. It’s important to smile and respond to others.
    Interview 2: I got a email about 2 days later inviting me to another interview, but this is a 1-1 with the team leader. We went to the same tables and he asked further questions. Make sure to make it personal and not robotic.
    Interview 3: I got a call 8 days later to schedule an interview with the marketing director. We went to the same spot again. These were not technical question but more about Apple and the products offered.
    The next day I got a call from the store manger offering me a job contingent on a background check.
    Overall it was a great experience but you must practice the questions beforehand or you will be caught off guard. Be positive, try to be first without being overpowering, smile/eye contact, and don’t promote android (yes a guy did this in my group interview).