Apple Interview Questions in United Kingdom | Glassdoor

Apple Interview Questions in United Kingdom

Updated Oct 16, 2017

272 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Retail Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (London, England (UK)).

Interview

We sat in a groups and interacted with each other and was marked on how we reacted during role play activities the aim of the process is to see how you adapt to different scenarios when dealing with customers

Apple Retail Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Apple (Manchester, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

Hiring event was in a Holiday Inn, met other candidates about 8 of us in total, had to fill in a form stating hours and days we were available and which locations. On their website they did not state what positions they had available and I was the surprised that I was the only person who was looking to work full time as everyone else was just applying for part time.

Then we entered a big room and met our assessors. There were four assessors in total, all very nice and friendly, then we were shown a quick video about what its like to work for Apple. We then did a nice icebreaker, they got us into pairs and we had five minutes to get to know the other person. Then we had to present back and introduce to the group the person we had just been talking too. This was a great way of doing introductions in a group assessment as it was fun and its much easier to talk about someone else than it is about yourself so got rid of any initial nerves.

Then we were split into the same pairs and did three tasks with a different assessor each time. This was useful as it meant you only had to wait for the other person you were with to do their role play/ question and not the entire group. Two of the assessors just asked one question and the other got you to do a one minute role play of a store situation.

The role play and questions were fairly easy compared and designed to make you feel comfortable so you can let your personality be seen rather than being restricted by interview nerves. Then we had the opportunity to ask the assessors questions and were asked to leaves a new group was arriving.

I left feeling quietly confident and the process turned out to be more fun than expected. Two days later I received an email to say that I had been unsuccessful but no feedback was given. They said that they will not provide any feedback from the hiring events so it leaves you feeling a bit in the dark as to why you were unsuccessful and does not help you improve going for any other interviews/assessments.

It's easy to accept not being successful in a interview if you get feedback from the employer but not providing any is unprofessional in my opinion as people have taken time to research the company and role and come to an assessment day. I put it down to the fact on the sheer volume of people that they interview as there were multiple groups going for that day and there was no indication of how many role part time or full time were actually available!

Interview Questions

• Describe how you have made yourself accessible to colleagues in previous role?   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Apple (London, England (UK)) in October 2017.

Interview

This is going to be long but hopefully I helped someone out!

I submitted my application in late August and received an email a few weeks later informing me about a hiring event that would be taking place in September (which eventually got cancelled twice and moved to October).

- first interview: 3/10 - the hiring event. There were me and about 20 other people present. It seems like they are looking for personality and how well you can speak rather than what you know/how much you know about Apple. The employers showed us a video about Apple, their roles and their ethos. There were also a few group activities. I found that the people that were too extroverted and came across as too desperate for the job didn't go into the next phase, so just relax! The next day I received an email and a call from one of the hiring managers from the event saying they would like to see me again. They also do a background check with another company which takes a few weeks to complete.

- second interview: 12/10 - this is a much smaller interview, there were 4 other people that I remember from the last interview there with me. It was a group interview with two other people that work in Apple. They asked us similar questions to last time (i.e.: 'what is your passion?') and newer ones ('why Apple?'). I received a call about 20 mins after I left the interview from the hiring manager letting me know that they'd like to see me the next day.

- third interview: 13/10 - one on one interview with the store leader. Again, they ask similar things to the last two interviews and it's very conversational. I just got an offer today and I'm currently waiting for more details!

Apple Genius Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Before I go on, let me preface this by saying that all the Apple employees I met during the process were very friendly and welcoming. They do make you feel very comfortable throughout the process. Sometimes to the point where you don't feel like you're at an interview at all. With that said, I'll explain in detail my interview process and hopefully by the end of it you'll pick up some useful tips.

I began my application online - as everyone should - and was later recommended by an employee working at the Apple Store I was applying at. I sent this person my CV and I imagine they forwarded it to managers. A couple of weeks later I was invited to an interview at the store. I found this a bit odd since usually they're held in conference rooms. My theory is that I skipped the first group interview (with the hundreds or so other applicants) because I was recommended by an employee. If you can, get recommended by a friend or acquaintance you know at the store - because this will ALMOST ALWAYS GUARANTEE you an interview and give you extra brownie points.

As said, the first interview was with one other applicant at the store with the "people manager". Yes, that's the name of the role. Anyway, you sign an NDA saying you won't talk about what's behind those mystery silver doors and you're taken to a room to conduct the infamous competency test. You conduct the interview with another candidates (in my case it was just one other person) and you get the chance to introduce yourself; talk about hobbies and interests; and answer some interview questions. With this you basically have to big yourself up about previous situations you've been in - because you don't really care about the company and its values, you just want the pay cheque each month to keep yourself alive. To prepare yourself with this, I recommend researching the different types of interview questions they may ask you either through this site or the Apple sub-reddit. This first interview lasted about an hour or so.

A couple of days later I received an email saying I got through to the next stage and was scheduled to have an interview with the senior manager. I met up with this person and we went to a local coffee shop to conduct the "interview". Thankfully this person bought me a milkshake so that was quite nice. This interview is more of a "get to know you" type of interview. It seemed more like a casual conversation, really. I was asked about my hobbies and where I previously worked. There were a few interview-style questions thrown in there too. I have listed some of these questions below. I did stumble on a couple of things but I don't think I did anything majorly wrong. This also lasted about an hour.

I heard nothing for three weeks. So I called up the store and asked about the status of my application. Oh by the way, when you're put through to the automated system say the word "manager". You'll instantly get put through. Anything else and they'll put you on hold while they laugh at how silly you are. They took down my details and said they'd get back to me a few days later. Unfortunately I received an email saying I didn't get accepted. I was quite annoyed considering I went through that incredibly long process just to be let down. I was told I could apply again in 6 months but how do I improve myself? Be more happy? Be more enthusiastic? There's nothing you can really do. If you're naturally a socially awkward person then you're going to find that very difficult like myself.

So what should you take from all of this? Well, you have a better chance getting into Stanford as a convicted felon than getting a job at Apple retail. The interview is a long and treacherous process. Depending on your situation you could have two interviews or you could have five. Be prepared to wait while they weed out the candidates to pick Britain's next best Apple employee. During this time, please don't wait around and keep applying to other places. You can always turn down their interviews if you do end up magically getting a job at Apple.

So, my advice? Well:

- Try and get recommended by an Apple employee, as this will almost always guarantee you an interview. You may even skip one or two of them.
    - Be happy and enthusiastic throughout the process. From my understanding, Apple are NOT looking for people with all the "knowledge". They can teach you all that but they can't teach you not to be rude.
    - Have an interesting background or story to tell. Maybe you've retired from a professional position but you're looking for something to do in your spare time. Maybe you created a movie on your iPhone and it's being shown in cinemas. Maybe you've travelled around the world and actually found yourself. Apple like interesting stories and people.
    - Be prepared to be part of a cult.

Perhaps if I spent as much time as I did writing this than I did preparing for the interview I probably would have gotten the job. Oh well, maybe I'm just salty.

Interview Questions

• What was a memorable moment working at your previous workplace?
      What was a negative experience working at your previous workplace?
      What are some strengths and weaknesses you could say about yourself?
      Name a time where you exceeded everyone's expectations and got a good result.   Answer Question

Translator Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple.

Interview

Interviewed over the phone and given some translation tasks sent by email with a specified amount of time to complete. Later called back advising not successful. Completely fine with this as it was a long shot and did not really want the location, however translation test was completely unrealistic to complete with alloted time and the main point given to me for being turned down was the phrases I used (I had done my homework and, in advance, learnt about their phrasing used in the language I was translating to, so they were actually not liking what their currently employed translators did?....)

Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Manchester, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

Ok so the Apple Hiring process is very long-winded, however the 3 stages of the process are quite relaxed contrary to public belief about the company. There are 3 key stages to this process, although it could be 4 stages if you have applied outside of the Apple corporate website.

First Stage: This is known as the 'Hiring Event'. Even though this is only the first stage of the process you have done extremely well to get this far as thousands will have been rejected before this stage. Here, you will be invited to a hotel in which Apple has reserved a room for the whole day. Usually around 20 people will be invited to one session and you will enter the room and take a seat- make sure to smile and interact with both employees and other candidates. Once sat down you will then be shown a video of what it is like to work at Apple and then be split into groups. Firstly you will be asked to introduce yourself- it is extremely important to have a passion and really express how you feel- they love it! If you are unable to do this, then I am sorry but you are not what they are looking for... Following this you will be asked to participate in some role-play exercises. At this point they are not looking for what you know, but more to do with how you converse with the customer (friendly, enthusiasm and confidence). After this, each member of your group will be asked a behavioural based question e.g what is your strategy for...? After this you will then have some time to ask questions, make sure you prepare at least one and also keep smiling/ making eye contact!

Second Stage: If you make it to this point- well done! However, you now have to remember that from this point onwards your competition is going to be a hell of a lot better. Each person is going to have confidence, they will be friendly and most importantly enthusiastic. You will now be invited to one of the stores along with 4 other applicants and go to one of the rooms in the back in which you will meet two assessors. You should greet both of them, take a seat and then listen intently to their introductions of themselves. When it is your turn, again you really need to promote your passions because they want to know the real you and Apple being the diverse environment it is, they are more than happy to listen about you and your passion however strange it may be... You will then be asked: "Give a time when you have dealt with an unreasonable customer?" and following that "How would you describe Apple's retail experience?". After this the group chatted casually a bit more and then we were asked about what we thought of the most recent keynote speech (iPhone X, Cellular Apple Watch etc.). When you are finished you will then receive another email in my case on the same day inviting you back to the final stage. Prior to getting that final email is a very anxious time as you know every applicant in that room was good and you start to over-analyse your answers... My advice here would be to stay calm and keep positive (however difficult that may be)

Final Stage: Congratulations! This interview is going to be very similar to the second, however the assessors will change. Here you will again have to introduce yourself- remember those passions! You will then be asked again "How would you describe the Apple store?" I honestly have no idea why they ask you this again, probably to verify your answer in the second round. You will then be asked to rate from 1-10, 10 being the most difficult as to how hard you think it is to work in an Apple Store (Tip- the higher the answer the better). And then finally you are asked about a time when you have received exceptional service. Following this, they will ask you your availability and then tell you that you will here back within 48 hours. However, I received an offer within 6 hours...

The key things to take away from this are as follows:

1.) Be yourself- I know many other reviews have said it and the reason for that is because it's true. If you are putting on an act the assessors will spot it and they will have no problem in turning you away.

2.) Be Confident- The majority of these interviews really test how confident you are with public speaking and whether you are able to interact with a customer on a personal level. Do not shy away from being expressive, that is not what Apple are looking for.

3.) Bring your passions- One of the most crucial parts is to be expressive of your passions throughout the process, because the assessors can interact with you on a personal level and also you have more chance of being remembered when they come to select people for the next stage.

4.) Don't be a suck up- The assessors spot it straight away and frankly it's annoying for the other candidates in the room.

5.) Enjoy it- Not many people get the chance of even speaking to the Apple Talent Acquisition team so smile and see how far you can get!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you received exceptional customer service?   1 Answer

Seasonal Sales Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Birmingham, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple (Birmingham, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

I applied online (very straightforward process) and was emailed a week later with an interview date and time to choose from. The interview was conducted over the phone and the interviewer was very kind and patient. I was asked to answer the basic questions such as what attracted me to apple and my experience relating to the role.

Design Verification Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apple (London, England (UK)) in September 2017.

Interview

2 telephone calls with very detailed coding questions. Literally ask you to say the code.

Followed by 1 day of intense interviews 7 interviews : coding again, detailed background knowledge, overall validaion closure and design val interations , tb architecture

HR explained the pointers to improve and was very encouraging.

Interview Questions

• Write code for a UVC mimicing a memory . Reactive sequence in UVM   Answer Question

Speculative Applications Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apple in August 2017.

Interview

I registered on the Apple careers website, adding my CV about 8 months ago. I was emailed three months later and asked to participate in a 30 minute Skype interview. This consisted of fairly usual questions about my background and what attracted me to Apple.

Two months later I was invited to a 1st stage group interview at the Apple store. There were 20 candidates in my group session, which lasted just under two hours. I understand over two days, they interviewed in excess of 150 people. This session covered basics of the running of an Apple store and typical roles. A number of short videos were shown about working at Apple retail. Then we were split into groups of five to work through an hypothetical customer scenario.

Two days later I was invited to a 2nd stage interview at the store. This time the shortlist was around 40 people in total. In my time slot I interviewed with four other candidates. Again questions about my background, a short group task and a question on a challenging work experience and how I dealt with it. Total time at session 1hr 45 mins.

Then finally, I was invited to a 3rd interview session. Again with four other interviewees and the Store leader. This was the shortest session. total 30 minutes. We were simply asked to share what we do now. What we do in our spare time and what we like about Apple. That was it.

Just over 24 hours later, I received a standard email ( no feedback) stating they were going forward with other candidates, but feel free to apply again in future.

Interview Questions

• Tell us a time when you had to work in the fcae of adversity   Answer Question

Specialist Interview

Interview

Three stages
    No dress code

First stage
    • Room of 20+ people
    • Watch a video go into smaller groups of 5
    • Role play customer and employee interaction with various scenarios
    • Generic customer service questions
    • Reply within 48 hours

Second Stage
    • Interview with 6 people at the apple store you are wanted in
    • Again generic customer service questions
    • Reply within 7 days

Third stage
    • interview with 6 people at the same store but with store manager
    • Main aim is to see if you fit into the 'personality types' of current employees eg hobbies and stuff you can relate
    • Reply max 10 days

Interview Questions

• Why apple?
      What is your passion?