Applied Materials Process Engineer III Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Applied Materials Process Engineer III Interview Questions

3.1

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

First got a 20 minutes phone interview from the hire manager. Questions like introduce yourself and tell me about your research were asked. A few days later got the on-site interview invitation. The on-site interview took one day and I was interviewed by several people. Besides general questions like tell me about yourself and your research, they also asked the most challenging project I did before. I then got the offer by phone from the hire manager after a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen asked resume questions. The hiring manager invited me on site at the end of the phone screen. During the on-site, I gave a presentation on my thesis research in the morning and then met with 7 different engineers in the group.They mostly asked me questions about my research and how I would modify various parameters if I were to design a new process based on my research. There were also basic chemistry questions, basic physics and materials science questions, and other random brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Applied Materials instead of our competitors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

There were two phone interviews. Within two weeks of those interviews, I got a call for an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 8 people within the same group (ranging from peers to senior managers to group manager). The interviewers were very nice and accommodating and asked questions to see how one approaches a problem. Basically they will try to see if you are able to connect the dots in any given scenario.

Process Engineer III Interview

Interview

a full-day of interviews with ~10 managers and directors. Schedule was shifted quite a lot during the day as people seemed to suddenly get busy with their work. Generally nice and easy-going interviews but a few challenging questions asked about self-evaluation and fundamental device physics. Quite a few interviewers mentioned that the workload and pace is very high. 45 min presentation about my previous research during lunch time. People attended were genuinely interested in the topic and asked some thoughtful questions.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

Meet with 5 people including VP, direction and some senior engineers. Give the presentation first and then met with all people one by one. No particularly difficult questions. But It is very free and depends on people.

Process Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview

Talked about details in PhD research, some technical questions.more focus on small details like the real hands on experience. Spended some time to explain what are they working on. Overall it was a pleasant interview. Discussed some plasma related details like how to form plasma and what is in it. Not too many unexpected questions. first interview

Process Engineer III Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials in June 2014.

Interview

Director of the group called me and asked technical questions based on my resume.
    I got another call after a week and wanted me for an on-site interview within 3-4 days.
    Staffs were courteous. The asked very general questions.
    Explain in brief your PhD research.
    Did you ever have any difficulty and if any, how you solved.
    There was no technical questions except how AFM and SEM works.

Two weeks later got an email requiring to send background consent form and two weeks later I got the offer.

Negotiation

I had a window to negotiate when the HR said that negotiating will delay the current offer. I did not try anymore as I am bad at that.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

I chatted with a recruiter at a Materials Research Society career fair. Eight weeks later, I received an email and set up a phone call with a technical group manager. That call was mostly technical and questions were asked to see if I was intelligent.

An on sight interview followed. A delayed flight threw off the timing of the interviews (which were ~5 one-on-one conversations), and I spent 20 minutes alone in a conference room waiting for someone to show up. Again, questions were mostly technical with some problem solving think-on-my-feet exercises. It was Friday afternoon, and some of the interviewers were visibly exhausted and had not read any of my application materials. They appeared to dislike their jobs, and by the end of the day it was evident that I was a poor cultural fit for the company.

I sent a "thank you for your time" follow-up email and never heard anything again.

Interview Questions

• How might I troubleshoot a film delamination problem?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2014.

Interview

Group interview followed with one on one interviews. Gave a presentation and answered questions. It was about my current research. Everyone is very friendly and smart. Questions to the point. They also briefly introduced their group and research, and ask me if I have any question.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2013.

Interview

My PhD advisor knows an upper exec at AMAT, so I emailed them directly. He forwarded me to one of his Senior Directors. I mentioned that I was graduating soon and would be visiting the Bay Area, so he asked me to come in and speak with some people. It wasn't officially an interview, but it felt similar. I spoke with 4 senior directors for 30 min each, mostly about technical issues.

Interview Questions

• The interviewers asked very detailed questions about the technologies I would potentially be working on, and the potential difficulties in getting them to market.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Every benefit that I was interested in was already part of the package, so I asked for an additional 5% salary and my counteroffer was accepted an hour later.