Applied Materials Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Applied Materials Interview Questions

Updated Apr 21, 2017

2.9

Process Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview

Resume referred by employee, phone interviewed, and invited on-site. Gave an hour-long research presentation and meet a few people for 30 minutes each. Interviewers were very nice and friendly. They were also open to answer my questions related to detailed job responsbilities and share their job experiences in their team.

Interview Questions

• Technical questions related to my research presentation, provide an example of a difficult problem that I came across and how I solved it   Answer Question

Global Product Support Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sunnyvale, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Sunnyvale, CA).

Interview

I applied online and was asked to come for an onsite interview in Sunnyvale. They asked pretty basic behavioral questions with nothing technical. Groups of three people interviewing at a time with a rotation approximately every 45 min for a about three hours. It was an overall positive interview experience.

Field Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Buffalo, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Buffalo, NY) in June 2016.

Interview

Very laid back interview. Interviewed in a hotel, which was a bit noisy, because the hiring manager came from Texas. I asked plenty of questions about what kind of work I could expect and day to day roles. Got a call back the next day with an offer.

Process Engineer Interview

Interview

They held a NCG program for new graduate student. The interviewees ranges from sophomore students to fresh PhDs. Talked to 6 managers in a room, each 15-20min. All interviewers are very nice. Just relaxed and talk.

Interview Questions

Interview

Applied online. Got a call almost 2 months later. First phone interview was very amicable and basically questions on past work experience were asked. I was then invited for an onsite interview within a week. It was scheduled to be held a couple of weeks later based on everyone's availability.
    The onsite experience consisted of interviews with 4 people back to back for half an hour each. The hiring manager, a team member, hiring manager's manager and the group VP were the 4 people. Each of them just asked questions about my experience on my resume to get to know me better to confirm that I fit the position. 2 of them asked some very simple technical questions involving fundamentals to analyze how I approach any given problem.
    Was informed within a week about the final decision.

Negotiation

As usual, the recruiter/HR initially lowballed. The negotiation was smooth, though. And I pretty much got what I was expecting.

New College Grad Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Applied Materials.

Interview

They brought everyone at once to an Embassy Suites nearby. At one point, we were loaded onto a bus that drove to their campus and gave us a tour... not of the fab, but of the dinky company gym. The free lunch was nice and included salmon. There were five or six rounds of 30-minute interviews with current engineers from both the PPG and TIG halves of the company. The paperwork they wanted us to fill out was unnecessarily extensive and repetitive.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you faced a problem. How did you solve it?   1 Answer

New College Grad Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Six rounds of interviews, each one lasted around 30 minutes, took place at a hotel nearby. Each interview included both technical and behavioral questions, and the technical questions were quite difficult.

Application

Interview

First, there is a phone interview taking about 30 minutes. Then, I got an onsite interview opportunity through email, a couple of hours later. So, I went to the onsite interview two days later. During the onsite interview, I talked with three people, ~30 - 50min each.

Interview Questions

• Phone: questions about some equipment I have experience on, basic chemistry questions, behavior questions

Onsite: questions closely related to my research experience, behavior questions
      Answer Question

Global Business Continuity/Emergency Response Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

After the initial introduction, a follow up phone interview is typically scheduled with the hiring manager to further review qualifications.
    Candidates that have made it through the initial phone screens are invited for an on-site interview, a member of the recruiting team will guide you through the process from trip arrangements and online application docs.
    On-site interview typically last all day and include meetings with 6-8 people, representing a mix of peers in the same function, peers in related functions and managers, depending on the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time yo had to make a decision and an the information was inadequate.
      What did you take away from the experience?
      Describe a crisis you handled?
      What was the result?
      Tell me about a time when you intervened to help settle a heated dispute.
      How did you approach it? How did you do it?
      How do you multi-task?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

The offered and I counter offered. I explained why I should have the salary based on experience in Semi-Conductor industry, education, and certifications.

College Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Applied online for college intern position through company website. Scheduled an interview for phone round and got a confirmation after a week. I confirmed the offer and then got offer letter in another 2 days.

Interview Questions

• Was asked a couple of questions related to threads, deadlocks, dictionary etc.   Answer Question