Applied Materials Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 2, 2017

2.9

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied randomly to few people working at Applied materials. I got these email ids on linkedin. Once i applied, within a week, I got a email from the business development team. The first interview was straightforward and by a member of business development team. I got reply very promptly the next day itself for setting up a time for second round. I was asked a slot of 45-60 min. But, in the second interview, the hiring manager called on phone and not on webex. The interview went only for 15 min. Very bad experience with the hiring manager in the second interview.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

First got a 20 minutes phone interview from the hire manager. Questions like introduce yourself and tell me about your research were asked. A few days later got the on-site interview invitation. The on-site interview took one day and I was interviewed by several people. Besides general questions like tell me about yourself and your research, they also asked the most challenging project I did before. I then got the offer by phone from the hire manager after a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen asked resume questions. The hiring manager invited me on site at the end of the phone screen. During the on-site, I gave a presentation on my thesis research in the morning and then met with 7 different engineers in the group.They mostly asked me questions about my research and how I would modify various parameters if I were to design a new process based on my research. There were also basic chemistry questions, basic physics and materials science questions, and other random brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Applied Materials instead of our competitors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

There were two phone interviews. Within two weeks of those interviews, I got a call for an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 8 people within the same group (ranging from peers to senior managers to group manager). The interviewers were very nice and accommodating and asked questions to see how one approaches a problem. Basically they will try to see if you are able to connect the dots in any given scenario.

New College Grad Rotation Program Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

Six rounds of interviews, each one lasted around 30 minutes, took place at a hotel nearby. Each interview included both technical and behavioral questions, and the technical questions were quite difficult.

Process Engineer Interview

Application

Interview

First, there is a phone interview taking about 30 minutes. Then, I got an onsite interview opportunity through email, a couple of hours later. So, I went to the onsite interview two days later. During the onsite interview, I talked with three people, ~30 - 50min each.

Interview Questions

• Phone: questions about some equipment I have experience on, basic chemistry questions, behavior questions

Onsite: questions closely related to my research experience, behavior questions

Global Business Continuity/Emergency Response Team Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in April 2016.

Interview

After the initial introduction, a follow up phone interview is typically scheduled with the hiring manager to further review qualifications.
    Candidates that have made it through the initial phone screens are invited for an on-site interview, a member of the recruiting team will guide you through the process from trip arrangements and online application docs.
    On-site interview typically last all day and include meetings with 6-8 people, representing a mix of peers in the same function, peers in related functions and managers, depending on the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time yo had to make a decision and an the information was inadequate.
      What did you take away from the experience?
      Describe a crisis you handled?
      What was the result?
      Tell me about a time when you intervened to help settle a heated dispute.
      How did you approach it? How did you do it?
      How do you multi-task?
      Answer Question

Negotiation

The offered and I counter offered. I explained why I should have the salary based on experience in Semi-Conductor industry, education, and certifications.

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Campus recruiting, one round on campus, one round on site. Quick and easy. Mostly takes about your research and engineering experience. Good to have an internship to talk about entering the interview. On campus recruiting was a panel interview with 3 guys. Then one on one with hiring manager and then a director. Nothing out of the blue, very straight forward. Salary negotiable, should take advantage of it.

Hardware Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

The interview was not very well organized. Interviewers were either late or missed their time slot. Made you wonder if you were really important or not. Preparation was poor, i felt that more than one interviewer was reading my resume for the first time. I also expected more technical questions and more questions regarding management style as opposed to questions about my experience.

Interview Questions

• Why are you applying to Applied Materials?
      What motivates you? What makes you get up in the morning?

HRBP Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

I had a good phone screen with the recruiter. The next step was the interview with the hiring manager. The interview seemed pretty casual. I couldnt tell if the hiring manager was just really laid back or just disinterested in the interview. I was surprised there weren't other interviewers. It didn't seem as professional as I had expected.