Applied Materials Interview Questions in Santa Clara, CA | Glassdoor

2.9

71 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Optical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2017.

Interview

Hiring manager called me and it was a smooth talk including some technical and personality questions. A week later I was invited on site. The interview day was very unorganised, I had no idea whom I was going to talk to except that I was asked to prepare a presentation. The presentation part went well, but then there were multiple interviews with staff engineers and managers. Almost all the group, except the hiring manager, were Asian which was the first red flag I noticed. I was fine with the hiring manager and actually appreciate his approach toward a candidate with a recent PhD looking for a position with industry. But most of other members were much older and their ideas of an ideal candidate were not realistic. Some of them asked me to drive equations like Snell's law from Maxwell equations! These days, if you know answers to such detailed questions, you are either a faculty teaching relevant courses or an idiot scientist who regularly drives equations for fun. Honestly, I have never had a good experience with Asians in interviews, they are just trying to get rid of anyone who is not Asian. In the lab tour, I saw about 20-30 people working where all were Asian except one young Indian engineer and the hiring manager. These companies should learn that such racial monopoly in their organization will damage their reputation and performance soon or later.

By the way, I still have not heard back from HR regarding reimbursement of my trip! I am very disappointed with this company.

Interview Questions

• Typical personality and research oriented questions. Technical questions ranged from theoretical aspects like driving Snell's law from a wave perspective to designing a micro-optics illumination system. Some questions were way beyond my knowledge and skills and I felt they were just excuses to pass on candidates.   Answer Question

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in June 2017.

Interview

I was contacted by the hiring manager for a first tech round. It was basic string and array problems. At the end of the phone call I was told they would like to fly me for an onsite . During my onsite I had 4 interviews with developers from different teams. All of them were well experienced and had a sound knowldege on c/c++. I was mostly tested on c and c++. I was tested on algo problems and writing test cases. It was a good experience altogether

Technical Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA).

Interview

Interview process involved meeting the whole team such as the project leader, engineers, and director of the team. It was an interview that included being interviewed by approx. 6 people.

Interview Questions

• They wanted to have a candidate that could critically think and solve problems. The hiring manager asked a question prior to the interview and wanted to hear your answer to assess how you thought.   Answer Question

Data Scientist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I had two rounds, one with a team member for almost an hour and second round with the manager was a little below 30 minutes, both were technical rounds.

Interview Questions

• They asked a case study on data analytics, given certain data what kind of problems can be answered using the available data.   Answer Question

NCG Program Interview

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Three separate interviewers each spent 45 minutes speaking with me. The interviews felt relaxed and more similar to conversations than to interrogations. Each interviewer seemed genuinely interested in my background and what sort of work environment would be the best fit for my career goals and interests.

Interview Questions

• When was a time that you failed and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

New College Grad Program - Mechanical/Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in February 2017.

Interview

Invited to onsite interview in Santa Clara. Networking session the night before interviews. I interviewed with 3 different people: Two were Mechanical Engineering managers and one was a previous Process Engineer. All the three were now in higher positions. All interviews were about 30 min each and back-to-back. Nothing very difficult. Mostly going off my resume, asked me some technical questions, asked what I knew about semi-conductors and etc.

Interview Questions

• They drew basic GD&T on a white board and asked me what it meant in an engineering drawing   Answer Question

Co-Op Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied randomly to few people working at Applied materials. I got these email ids on linkedin. Once i applied, within a week, I got a email from the business development team. The first interview was straightforward and by a member of business development team. I got reply very promptly the next day itself for setting up a time for second round. I was asked a slot of 45-60 min. But, in the second interview, the hiring manager called on phone and not on webex. The interview went only for 15 min. Very bad experience with the hiring manager in the second interview.

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in September 2016.

Interview

First got a 20 minutes phone interview from the hire manager. Questions like introduce yourself and tell me about your research were asked. A few days later got the on-site interview invitation. The on-site interview took one day and I was interviewed by several people. Besides general questions like tell me about yourself and your research, they also asked the most challenging project I did before. I then got the offer by phone from the hire manager after a few days.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Initial phone screen asked resume questions. The hiring manager invited me on site at the end of the phone screen. During the on-site, I gave a presentation on my thesis research in the morning and then met with 7 different engineers in the group.They mostly asked me questions about my research and how I would modify various parameters if I were to design a new process based on my research. There were also basic chemistry questions, basic physics and materials science questions, and other random brain teasers.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at Applied Materials instead of our competitors?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Santa Clara, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Materials (Santa Clara, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

There were two phone interviews. Within two weeks of those interviews, I got a call for an on-site interview. I was interviewed by 8 people within the same group (ranging from peers to senior managers to group manager). The interviewers were very nice and accommodating and asked questions to see how one approaches a problem. Basically they will try to see if you are able to connect the dots in any given scenario.