Applied Underwriters Interview Questions in Foster City, CA | Glassdoor

Applied Underwriters Interview Questions in Foster City, CA

Financial Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Applied Underwriters (Foster City, CA) in June 2015.

Interview

I met the initial recruiter at my schools career fair. I was in contact with him but he left, I then talked to another recruiter and he also left. It seems like they had a revolving door on recruiters. i finally got in contact with them at our next career fair and they invited me to interview.

I was brought into the office on an off day where we were given a battery of exams. I took the Wonderlic, CPAB (computer programming aptitude battery test), then I took a basic mathematics exams and advanced mathematics exam (which they have now discontinued). The ideas in the basic and advanced mathematics exam can be gleaned from an undergraduate number theory course, although the advanced exam was quite challenging.

After 4 hours of exams, I was exhausted. The interviewer wanted to continue with an excel exam but he allowed me to go home.

I got a call back a few months later and they had me follow up with a project, which was designed to get an idea of my programming experience, problem solving and general econometrics knowledge. I was then brought back into the office to give a presentation.

Interview Questions

• We had a follow up after the testing battery that were generic questions.

I remember the interviewer asked us a question that could be solved with conditional probabilities.
      Answer Question

Tech Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Underwriters (Foster City, CA) in August 2014.

Interview

Recruiter found me on LinkedIn, was very nice, helpful, and communicative (as most recruiters are). Steps seem to be: resume submission, phone interview with recruiter, standardized exams, on-site interview. The standardized exams I had to take were: Wonderlic, CPAB (computer programming aptitude battery test), NEO (non-timed personality assessment). He gave me a week between telling me what the exams were and actually taking them, for preparation.

Interview Questions

• Even though I have a graduate-level Ivy League education, I do not do well on standardized tests so I did not pass the standardized test step of the process. It is unclear whether I was rejected based on the behavioral or one of the aptitude exam results. It may be relevant to the reader's interests that while I was given a week to prepare for the exams I did not actually prepare for them because I suddenly found permanent housing in the area and had to move during that week.   1 Answer

Financial Technical Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Applied Underwriters (Foster City, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

Phone screening from HR. Invite to engage in a battery of standardized testing in their Foster City office and then an official on-sight a few days later.

Arriving on-sight is creepy. BIg empty office with a fake boardroom, just a phone saying 'Pick up' Then HR emerges from the walls. The tests were the Wonderlick test (like the ones given to DFL draft prospects) and the Computer Programmer's Aptitude Battery Test. Both are timed and easy. You are then escorted out and reminded to come back for the next hr hoop to jump through.

3rd interview was the "technical" interview, however it was all just background review and standard soft skills questions (how do you resolve conflict, what's your greatest weakness....)

Interview Questions

• Just the standardized tests stuff   1 Answer

I got a creepy vibe from the team members, they were all clearly over worked and not super happy where they were. Just ok benefits that would have taken 4 months to kick in. Completely archaic development environment (as described to me). But what really did it was when I asked for time to consider another offer, they threatened to rescind the original offer...that told me everything I needed to know about the position, management culture and vision. I rejected the offer soon after.

Tech Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Foster City, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Applied Underwriters (Foster City, CA) in June 2013.

Interview

All you need to do is ace the pre-interview aptitude tests and you'll get the job.
    In the flow chart test, if you get a single question wrong they won't hire you. I'm not saying that it should be that way, but everyone who currently works in this department found the exam to be cake.