Apptio Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Apptio Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Apptio

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in February 2013.

Interview

submitted application, received HR email.
1) Phone screen - binary search, heap, hashtable
2) On-site interview - addition of numbers in huge file

Interview Questions

• What interesting project you recently did? impress me.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Apptio

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in March 2013.

Interview

I submitted the resume and HR called me to give me a brief screen out to see whether the position is a good fit or not. After that, a technical interview is scheduled. The interview is mostly about concepts of datastructures and languages. Then I was invited to an onsite interview, which was intended to last 5 hours.

The onsite interview was very broad, interviewers asked questions about algorithms, and knowledge/experience based questions, which ranged from bug-tracking system to database, etc. If you are student with little experience, then this is definitely not a good match for you.

The thing that severely hurt me is that the interview was planned to be 5 hours, but I was almost "expelled out" in the middle by an excuse of "no good match for this position". So the company shows no respect to the interviewee, which is very rare in my interview experience with other companies.

Interview Questions

• What are some common bug-tracking systems do you use, and compare them?   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apptio.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by a recruiter. Had a phone screen, then was asked to come in for a full loop.

Interview was a pretty standard tech interview covering CS fundamentals and design questions.

They look for Java skillset. Not sure why I went through/asked to go through a loop. I know Java but haven't used it in a while, which is why I didn't get an offer.

Interview Questions

• Questions that could be solved best by knowledge of data structures such as trie and others. Brush up on your data structures and algorithms.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Apptio.

Interview

Initial communication and coordination of the interview was great. I had two 1:1 interviews with mid-level software engineers: the interviewers were friendly and both interviews were challenging but went well. I got called back for one more interview with a top level engineer/manager. I struggled a bit on his technical question, but he was abrasive and condescending in response to any of my questions. He had the attitude that since I didn't get the solution immediately I was wasting his time; this attitude lasted the rest of the interview. I turned around several times while coding to see him reading his phone, not even paying attention. I was pretty close to asking to end the interview, since it was clear he would rather be somewhere else. I decided when I left that regardless of the overall outcome I wouldn't want to work under this guy in any capacity. I never got a response either way from HR, which was icing on the cake of me never wanting to work there.

Interview Questions

• Be prepared to talk in depth and code anything on your resume, they dug deep on some topics.   1 Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apptio.

Interview

Interview Process was short and quick. Apptio recruiter asked your basic questions on the knowledge you contain, salary desired and when could you start working. Recruiter was very knowledgeable on the questions. I asked to repeat some questions and was able to explain in better detail.

Interview Questions

• Does your current job use single vs multstack?
      What are you most comfortable coding in?(what language)
      Do you know Sql?
      Do yo know the basics in OOP, like polymorphism?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Interview

I applied for a position online and about two weeks later was contacted by HR representative #1 through email to set up a phone call. The person who I spoke with was very serious, showed little interest in what I had to say, and gave brief answers to all of my questions. A week later I get an email from a different HR representative, #2, asking me to set up a call with the hiring manager. This person was very friendly and upbeat but when I inquired about some of the details of the job that I was provided with in the initial screen and in the description I was told that many of these details weren't right. A week later I was contacted by HR representative #2 asking when I could come in for a round of interviews the following week. I sent a few time slots over but a few days later they emailed me again saying the next week wouldn't work and asked about the following week. Once again I sent a few time slots over. A week later I get an email from yet another HR representative, #3 asking me to confirm my panel interview in two days. I have received no prior notice about this scheduling and neither the time nor the day selected were among those that I marked as free. Thankfully I was able to move some meetings around and agreed to come in.

When I got to the office the receptionist was very nice but I did have to wait about ten minutes after my scheduled time before I was greeted by the first of my three interviewers. They were a senior leader in the company who really wanted to sell me on the startup vibe and the "flexible, family friendly" atmosphere but when I would ask for specifics on things like how the company encourages personal development or allows flexibility they didn't give a straight answer. They also never even remarked about their reason for being late. The next person in my panel seemed to be playing a good cop bad cop routine but they weren't very good at it and kept contradicting their prior comments. For example, at one point they remarked that they liked my resume because I had a lot of the soft skills and those are the most important skills for this role but then five minutes later they toss my resume on the table and tell me they don't see how I would possibly be a good fit for this role because I don't have some of the hard skills they desire for the job. Bear in mind that I was only lacking in one hard skill and in the original description it was listed as a nice to have. The third and final interviewer was the friendliest and out of all the interviewers I met with they were the only one that I felt actually gave me straight answers and genuinely listened to what I had to say. They were also the most honest though this honesty confirmed what I had already begun to realize through the course of the interviews which was that this role was not right for me. After the interviews were over I thanked the interviewers for their time, went home, and wrote an email letting them know that I appreciated the interest but would no longer be pursuing the position.

As a final note and summary for those who may want to skip the paragraphs above there were three reasons why I rejected this job and this company:

1) No clear definition of the role. Over the course of the interviews I realized that I had no clue what would be expected of me for the position. I was told that I would and would not have to travel frequently, that I could and could not work from home some days, that my hours would be fairly consistent and that I would often have to work late nights and weekends, that I would and would not be on call, and numerous other refuting requirements. If I don't know what will be expected of me then how can I expect to be successful?

2) No clear vision for the company. Everyone here seems very passionate about their work but apart from "more sales" there isn't any set objective for employees to work towards. The result is that there are a lot of dedicated people going in a million different directions. It doesn't matter how hard or how long you work if you aren't working towards a common goal.

3) Overall arrogance. Criticizing someone's resume in the final round of interviews does not make you a "straight shooter", it makes you rude. Claiming that anyone who has left simply couldn't handle or appreciate the company, bearing in mind that I discovered two employees quit just within the duration of my roughly four week interview process, is lacking in class. Scheduling people for interviews without any regard for their own time and showing up late to those interviews is disrespectful. I know your leaders and employees think highly of themselves but you may at least want to hold the attitude until you are turning a solid profit.

Interview Questions

• How late are you willing to work   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in February 2015.

Interview

I had one phone screen and then one onsite interview with many individual interviewers. I emailed them few times after the interview but they never called me back even though they said they definitely would.

Interview Questions

• One of the questions was "Teach me something" which I found weird.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in November 2018.

Interview

Phone screen by recruiter followed by technical problem 1 week later over phone using coderpad. Invited to onsite loop of 4 technical interviews & 1 lunch a week later.
    All of my interviewers were pleasant with the exception of one interviewer who really made the experience negative. This guy spent 15 minutes asking general knowledge questions such as "what is the difference between a linked list and an array", then asked a technical question and halfway through decided he didn't word it correctly so he changed it to a completely different question. He then decided that I wasn't working fast enough to solve this completely different problem with the remaining time so he started forcing his own suggestions onto me and telling me to ignore certain things and that they would be provided as a black box function to me. This was extremely unprofessional and he decided 10 minutes before the end of our time slot to cut me off completely because I was not able to solve the mess consisting of his forced workflow and my own solution. I hope that in the future this company better trains their interviewers so they don't waste their own time and the candidates' time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Apptio (Louisville, CO) in March 2019.

Interview

Had some sort of half hour aptitude assessment similar to an IQ test before HR interview.
    15 minute HR interview.
    Hour long coding interview.
    Finally a series of onsite interviews that lasted around an hour each.

Interview Questions

• Data Structures, and technical questions in regards to JavaScript.   1 Answer

Apptio Response

Apr 4, 2019 – Sr Director, Recruiting

Thanks for the note! I am glad you had a positive experience with us.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bellevue, WA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Apptio (Bellevue, WA) in February 2019.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and was given an online personality and logic test that took about 30 minutes. You are asked to answer as many questions as possible for a total of 50 questions on the logic quiz. The personality quiz was full of questions like how quickly do you get angry or how confident are you in your abilities?

After submitting the test, the recruiter said she would get back to me after reviewing the results. Two days later, I was told they would not be moving forward with me.

I find this to be a very strange pre-screening tool for candidates. No feedback is given about what they are looking for in the test which makes it a very frustrating process and it is not something you can really prepare for like you would for DS/Algorithm questions. I also did not have a chance to discuss my background or skills with the recruiter. If this is the direction companies are heading (pre-screen tests to reject you before you have a chance to talk) the tech industry is going to be starving for talent very soon.

Interview Questions

• How often do you find yourself irritated? Always, Most of the time, Sometimes, Not Often, Never.   3 Answers