ArcelorMittal USA Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Interviews at ArcelorMittal USA

2.6

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in East Chicago, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (East Chicago, IN) in November 2019.

Interview

The process started off with me applying through my school's career portal. Got a call from HR to do a initial phone screen and afterwards she set me up for a Skype video Interview. That was about 30 -40 minutes and it went well and I got a offer for a final round interview.

The interview took place in the main Burns Arbor site. They paid for me to stay in a hotel room for one night. There were many other students including others in mechanical engineering, chemical engineering, business analyst majors, and metallurgical engineering students. But there was 3 electrical engineering students (including me).

It started off with a hour presentation from a plant manager talking about the steel making process. Then we branched off into 3 - 1 hour interviews. The interviews started off going through your transcript and resume. Then, it went into the STAR based interview questions (about 6 per interviewer). The interviewer has to take notes and rate your answer. The questions were very repetitive, and honestly your interview will depend on how well your interviewer took notes.

In my interview,I felt a disconnect as I am female - all my interviewers were males and they repeatedly asked me questions like "are you REALLY sure you can handle this environment?" I honestly felt judged but tried to push forward.

Then, they take you on a plant tour to give you a insight of what environment you will be working in.
    Overall, the steel mill is NOT a glamorous place to work, you will not be sitting in a nice desk -you will be out in the field working..

I thought I did really well ( I prepped for a month straight) but I got a rejection letter like 4 days later. Asked for feedback but no response. Would really like to know where I went wrong so I could work on improving my interviewing skills.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time your results changed based on another member of your team?   Answer Question

Associate Engineer - IT Applications Systems Interview

Anonymous Employee in East Chicago, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (East Chicago, IN) in October 2019.

Interview

I applied through campus recruiting. Had a good talk with IT Manager at the job fair and he invited me for the first round of interview which held from our campus it self. Exactly 4 days later I got mail from the Project Representative, Talent Acquisition and Development for the final round of onsite-interview.
    This one was held from the ArcelorMittal Indiana Harbor campus. I reached there at 8 am and the first round of interview was at 9 am. This was from the Team lead. After that at 10 am from IT manager, and then at 11 am from senior application developer.
    Almost all the questions were STAR. Some of them were repetitive, and by making it so they expected answers using different examples(at least that is what I gave them). The last interview took 1hr and 20 min to get completed.
    All interviewers were super friendly and they were so encouraging as well.
    Through this interview I felt that, more than our technical knowledge they need a good team player, a good listener, a good adviser, etc.
    They told me that after joining we would have 3 years of training under a mentor though which we would be able to know about all fields other that just technical.
    After 2 days of my final onsite-interview, I got the offer letter.(I know! you would be thinking about this short decision. But, according to ArcelorMittal, this process was actually been running over 2 months and I was the last candidate.)

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have to work under pressure?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burns Harbor, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (Burns Harbor, IN) in February 2019.

Interview

I applied for the position through Indiana Career Connect I believe in January 2018. They sent me an email to attend the PAN test in Burns Harbor, IN. now going for the sandbag test today.

Interview Questions

• Only took the PAN test no interviews at all yet and going for sandbag test   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Lake Station, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (Lake Station, IN) in January 2019.

Interview

The process starts with the online application. Once you have applied you will be emailed to come in for a online assessment. Once you pass your online assessment you will be emailed to schedule a sandbag test. If you pass your sandbag test you will be emailed to come in for a 1-1 interview. If you move past your interview the HR department will call you and make you a offer and ask if you want to accept. This is a 5 month process to complete they have a lot of people so be patient. Do not leave your previous job if you accept offer. I accepted the offer and my start date. HR called me right before my start date and said they are on hiring freeze and my previous job let me go the same day I gave my 2 week notice. I’m currently unemployed. I don’t know what happens next and hope my offer still stands. That’s why my experience is neutral at the moment.

Interview Questions

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Sep 20, 2019 – Human Resources Representative

Unfortunately, due to changing business conditions we had to postpone start dates for a number of new hires earlier this year. We did not take this decision lightly and apologize for the impact this may have had on anyone impacted by this decision. At this time, we do not have a new start date but be assured that you will be notified as soon as possible. We understand this is a frustrating situation and we will be in contact as soon as a hire date is determined. In the meantime, please do not hesitate to contact Employee Services.

Utility Worker Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA.

Interview

applied through the website back on February and within a week i received an e-mail to set for a PAN test. After that they emailed me again to go through a simulation test. After that I have not hear anything from them. I hope I get called or if not to let me know if my application was rejected.

Associate Electrical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burns Harbor, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (Burns Harbor, IN) in November 2018.

Interview

On campus interview. They followed up less than a month later to schedule a facility interview and tour. 3 Back to back 1 hr interviews. Didn't accept because I got a slightly better offer elsewhere, or else I would've gone with it.

Interview Questions

• 90% STAR questions, so be ready for those. Also be sure to ask a lot questions after the interview part.   1 Answer

Engineer Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burns Harbor, IN

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5+ months. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (Burns Harbor, IN) in October 2018.

Interview

3 45 minute back to back to back interviews. Mostly STAR type questions with middle management personnel in the same field as myself. The process was fairly straight forward but also somewhat exhausting.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time where you had to analyze data over time and make changes based on the data"   Answer Question

Manufacturing Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA.

Interview

On campus interview, took a while to hear back about offer. Met company at career fair and was offered an interview. Interview was straightforward. Asked several standard behavioral questions. When explaining an example, detail using the STAR method.

Took a while to hear back from company. Had to reach out to them several times.

Associate Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Penn State University, PA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (Penn State University, PA) in September 2018.

Interview

Meet them at a career fair and was asked to interview the next day. After the initial interview, I received and offer to visit a facility in Indiana and conduct the final round of interviews. Have yet to attend the final round. All the questions asked were very behavioral.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when your main thoughts/objectives differed from your team?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Steelton, PA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at ArcelorMittal USA (Steelton, PA) in August 2018.

Interview

Sent my resume to HR, 4 months later got a call to take the PAN test. Later the same day the told me a past and would like to do a interview 2 weeks later. Interview went good. It’s been a month now and still haven’t heard anything from them. I didn’t receive a rejection email/letter. I don’t know if that’s good or bad. I did hear the make a list for when openings become available. I hope they will contact me if I didn’t get the job.

Interview Questions

• What would you do if you saw a co-worker doing an unsafe act?   Answer Question

ArcelorMittal USA Response

Sep 12, 2018 – Representative - TA&D

Thanks for your interest in working at ArcelorMittal Steelton. We are currently hiring, but will not make final determinations until all applicants in our utility worker pool go through the entire evaluation process. We are still conducting testing and interviews. Once complete, we will communicate with all candidates on their potential employment status.