Arista Networks Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arista Networks Interview Questions

Updated Feb 15, 2017

3.1

Software Engineer Interview

Interview

phone interview round 1 (1 hour) phone interview round 2 (suppose to be 2 hours) I only got interviewed by 1 person with 1 hour. The second interviewer didn't show up and I was told not a good fit after 10 minutes waiting.

Interview Questions

• 1. find missing number
      2 implement polymorphism using C, stack implementation
      Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arista Networks in February 2016.

Interview

There were two rounds. I got rejected after the second. The first round was quite basic where they gauge your understanding of the C language. It starts off my some questions such as explain what malloc does. Then it goes into more detail like how would you malloc over a PCI-e. Then there were some terms and they ask you if you know what it means and explain them. Terms such as traceroute, ifconfig, ping, wireshark, ip, etc. You might also be asked some other basic questions around unix such as what does fork do, what would kill -11 do, what does select do, what will happen if I type this and so on.

After this they moved to some code. The first of this was involving two strings inside the main function. Something like this:
    int main( int argc, char* argv[] ){
        char* string1 = "string";
        char string2[] = "string";
    }
    Then you'll be asked to modify a certain position in each string, say index 1. You might get thrown off by string1 since it's a string literal and therefore is read-only. You can't modify it. String2 will work fine in this case.

After this I was asked to write a palindrome function in C. This should be easy. I was also asked to write a Python script that reads in a file containing numbers separated by spaces on multiple lines. Treat the first number in each line as column1 and so on. I was asked to add all the numbers in column3. This should be easy again.

Make sure you can easily write code in a command line editor such as Vi or Emacs. Also make sure you know how to compile C code and run python script from the terminal. You should also have the basic knowledge of how to debug a file using GDB on the command line in case you get a segfault.

The second round was more thorough:
    I was asked first to write up a stack API that a client would use. The client should be given the freewill to add any type of data that he/she wants. For example, they can push 1byte of data at a time or 1MB of data. The interviewer gave me three requirements that had to be fulfilled. I don't quite remember these off the top of my head. As you design your API you will be asked to demonstrate how the push and pop will be coded. Also, be open to changing your design as the interviewer will thrown in more conditions. I felt for this part you should be aware of size_t, and void *. These came in handy when writing the function signature.

The second hour of this interview was to compare to version strings. Here's how the docstring of the function looked like:
        vercmp compares two software version strings and returns the following:
            if v1 > v2 : return 1
            if v1 == v2 : return 0
            if v1 < v2 : return -1
        input strings are in the form "1.0.3", "2.10", "6.0.0.3", etc...
        "1.0" is considered bigger than "1"
    int vercmp( char * v1, char * v2 ) {

}

I think the only way to do this is to keep track of the periods in each string and compare the corresponding numbers.

Interview Questions

• Compare two version strings.
      Design a stack API.
      Write palindrome function.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Nashua, NH

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Arista Networks (Nashua, NH) in March 2016.

Interview

One round onsite or phone interview for intern (your choice). basic c++ questions and one easy coding problem. (depends on which group you will be in). Totally you will have one hour for the interview, but they may give you more time, depends. The question is easy, if you have learned c or c++, and the question is very low level questions

Interview Questions

• 1. difference between char* and char [], 2. some code to see and figure out what the functions do, (bit shift mask..) 3. linked list: remove duplicate.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Amherst, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arista Networks (Amherst, MA) in March 2016.

Interview

It was telephone interview and i was asked to connect to remote server. There were 3 questions. Not that difficult. Need to have string understanding of basics. Overall experience was good. The recruiter was really helpful. But i didn't get an offer

Interview Questions

• They gave me a code and asked me to explain its functionality and later asked me to write small code.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arista Networks in February 2016.

Interview

I handed my resume on College's career fair and got one phone interview. basic of c programming in Linux . I did get the offer. Maybe because I take too many time on the second question(you should know how to use gettimeofday() in c). It not a difficult test. But I messed up.

Software Engineering Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Arista Networks (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

One hour long on-campus interview after talking to a recruiter at a job fair. Not terribly hard, interviewer was willing to help when I got stuck. The interview is entirely technical, so don't bother practicing your answers to non-technical coding and CS-theory questions.

Interview Questions

• Write a function in C that compares version number strings. I.e: '1.1.2.1'.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arista Networks.

Interview

Lasted for a shorter time period but was a good experience since it was my first interview.They asked me to solve the below question but I was not confident in my code.My approach was correct.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Jose, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arista Networks (San Jose, CA).

Interview

Applied online and then got an email from the recruiter about the onsite interview. The interview was same as described others. Interview had basic questions on c concepts strings, structures and memory allocation,.

Interview Questions

• basic questions on c concepts strings, structures and memory allocation,.   Answer Question

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Arista Networks in January 2016.

Interview

On-Campus Interview
    - HR was very nice
    - talked about a few projects and my team role
    - resume talk for about tweny minutes and technical round was just for last 15 minutes
    enjoyed the interview process as it was quick and the engineer was friendly

Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arista Networks.

Interview

I applied through the university's Co-op office, and I got an offer to work in San Francisco office starting from this coming January. This early-October, I contacted the person, who gave me an offer, to change my start date. However, the response I got was from another person who works at Nashua, NH office, saying that I have been relocated to the Nashua office with a decrease in salary due to the company's "policy change". When I responded that I am confused with such sudden change since I already have been arranging a car lease and housing in SF, the person replied back saying that he doesn't understand why I have been doing that when I don't have an official offer letter. I thought that was very rude since Arista clearly did give me an offer through the university's office. If that's how Arista does its recruiting business, I wouldn't want to work for Arista anyway because I can already sense how the company treats its people. As a student, I don't mind too much about the salary decrease. But, let's be honest, would you work for Google if you need to work at the most random city where you don't have your family or friends around? If your engineers cannot properly handle both engineering and recruitment tasks, hire more HR people. This kind of recruitment process is just not acceptable.