Arizona Department of Transportation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arizona Department of Transportation Interview Questions

Updated Jul 19, 2017

2.2

Anonymous Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation in April 2017.

Interview

Basic STAR questions. It's a phone interview which is very simple. Two administrator officers ask questions through the phone. And the hiring process is easy. They will also contact your reference to check your background.

Interview Questions

• Please use STAR to answer how you learn a new technology in short time. Please use STAR to answer how you deal with stressful periods.   Answer Question

T3 Interview

Application

The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation.

Interview

Long technical and administrative type questions. There were 10-12 questions. There were certain points for resume and experience. A lot of it is discretionary with a two-step interview process.
    Must know AASHTO well. Policies for supervisors are good to know. Must understand ADOT Mission, project delivery process. and if possible management preferences.

Interview Questions

• How will you handle situations where projects are behind schedule ?   Answer Question

Highway Operations Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2016.

Interview

ADOT is now using the STAR method. ALWAYS remember to use a Situation, Task, Action and Result. Make sure they are relevant and recent.If you do not have something that is recent, make up a situation. The more recent the better OR use something from your past but make it recent.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to use disciplinary action
      Tell me about a time you disagreed with a co-worker   Answer Question

Negotiation

None, It is the BASE salary at $57,113

Customer Service Representative Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation in January 2015.

Interview

Got a call and they ask some basic interview questions about your experience and such than ask if you are still interested in interviewing, they will send an email to you with a generic application, keep this if you have applied for any other state jobs, the attachments will vary but this you can save an print as needed. Interviewed by a manager and a supervisor they both ask a series of 8 questions, interviews last about 20-30 mins.

Interview Questions

• Basic interview questions, Explain a time when you had a difficult customer and what did you do, how do you handle working with people you don't get along with.   Answer Question

Starting pay is $13.06 an hour and you will not get a raise until you complete training in 6-9 months. You than go to $14.06 and you must contribute to the Arizona retirement system after 27 weeks, this is 10% of your paycheck before taxes. Was not worth it for how far I was driving.

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation.

Interview

Started with an online job posting Azstatejobs apply with specific key words related to the position. make sure you check the listings often as sometimes they will open and close in 1 to 2 days. they use what is called a competitive hiring process with behavorial based questions, interviews are usually panels of 2 or 3 people. questions are written by the interviewers then submitted to HR for review, questions can be very poorly written and vague, they are looking for key phrases or words what your scored on example. when you get behind in your work what steps do you take to resolve this.
    access the situation, prioritize, implement solution. they have to have more than 3 applicants for each position otherwise its not competitive.

Interview Questions

• questions are looking for key words on which you are scored on, you are also scored on appearance, resume content, and finally the questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation

no negotiation

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation.

Interview

Short n medium in difficulty I was given a short preparation time between interviews and starting date. The training is not difficult and a little disorganized. Everyone has a different philosophy of the job duties

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation

Dt Transportation Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation (Phoenix, AZ).

Interview

Applications are required electronically and ranked based on key words used. Top 3 or more chosen and sent to the hiring requester. They are interviewed by the hiring authority or by a panel of 3. The high scorer will get the job. At least that is the official line. What goes on behind the scene is another question.

Interview Questions

• What will you do if your boss disagrees with your assessment of a technical issue such as a technical document that you have to sign and seal?   1 Answer

Program Project Specialist (Leasing Specialist) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation (Phoenix, AZ) in November 2013.

Interview

The experiance was not a good one. I was interviewed by a panel with a generic predetermined set of questions that did not cover my experance, education, and knowledge adequately; or else I would have been hired.

The panel had three people; A grumpy old guy, a lady who works in finance who always had this fake smile, and a blonde lady who was the pleasant one of the group. They made me wait for at least 5 minutes before they called me in even though it was obvious they were just goofing off and then hustled to probably poorly go over my resume while I waited. They sat me down, the list of generic questions they were going to ask was in front of me.I answered them, I tried to be friendly and personable durring the interview to make it more interactive so hopefully they would have the chance to ask about my experiance and education, which barely got touched.

The only thing I lacked was formal experiance createing data bases, however I have that in my education. I am a software guru when it comes to things like that. It's probably fair to say whoever they hired probably has much less to offer. They need to train their management better, it's obviously bad and inexperianced.

It was like dancing with a bad dance partner. I left the interview asking myself if I really wanted to work at a place like that? Knowing I probaby wouldn't get an offer, I did what I do after every interview to maintain my personal standard of professionalism; I went home and typed up a beautiful thank you letter on premium paper and sent one to all three of them,

Today, I got the generic email that they had chosen another person. At least I got that, although birds of a feather flock together right? I need to apply at better departments with real leaders.

Interview Questions

• There was none, just really BASIC, I repeat BASIC questions. maybe one situational question "tell of a time when you blah blah blah.."

The rest are just rudimentary.   1 Answer

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation (Phoenix, AZ) in April 2013.

Interview

one on one interview, they called me on the phone and i walked into the office for an interview. resume was prepared and shown to the interview person. they asked me several questions

Interview Questions

• why do you want to work here   1 Answer

Senior Transportation Planner Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Arizona Department of Transportation (Phoenix, AZ) in October 2012.

Interview

Ten questions, most of them softballs with limited probative value. The hiring manager and a departmental supervisor did the interview. Afterward, the hiring manager took several weeks verifying by experience and qualification, then submitted everything for management approval. Many weeks later, I then received a written offer. The most difficult part was the waiting. I'm sure many good candidates die on the vine.

Interview Questions

• How does your current job prepare you for this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

They initially told me that everything was non-negotiable. I made sure they understood that I'd keep looking until I received a written offer. Once I finally did, it was higher than the initial, "non-negotiable" sum discussed.