Arizona State University Administrative Assistant Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arizona State University Administrative Assistant Interview Questions

2.8

5 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

Applied online. Took them about 4+ months to call me, but I now work there and see that is common.

Phone interview with several members of team. They usually ask about 4 or 5 situational questions. If you are familiar with STAR format, that is the system they follow. A week later I was called back for an in-person interview.

In person interview took place on campus. Panel included my potential supervisor, a member of the team, a person who was doing a job similar to the one I was interviewing for, and another member of the department I was interviewing with. Was called 2 weeks later with an offer. Pay was bottom of the range and firm - no negotiating possible. I accepted because I really wanted to work for ASU and haven't regretted it.

Random Tips:
I have since been on several hiring committees at ASU and the experience outlined above is commonly how things work. The hiring managers like to have a mixture of individuals on the interview panels to get a more well-rounded opinion of the candidate and they will include people at all levels, not just manager-types. This being an organization that focuses heavily on student engagement and the ability to work with diverse populations, the focus is generally on how well-liked you will be and how easily you connect with people from various backgrounds/job levels. The questions will follow a STAR format and they will be grading you based on how well your response shows job-area knowledge and how your experience relates to the position. The questions themselves are not hard to answer and are very basic. What I have found through working with various committees is that they are mostly looking for someone who can easily do the job with little training, will be well-liked by both students and staff (i.e. have a positive attitude, show initiative, show that you are really excited to work with students and be part of a college environment..they really like positive, upbeat people and will refer constantly to the "energy" a person put forth in the interview) and has as much experience as possible. This is not the type of place, culturally, where they are looking to train someone who has never done the job...experience is key. Even if your experience is just as a student worker or through an internship, you should focus on how that experience will translate well into the position you're interviewing for. Before you go to the interview, really read the job description and think about ways that your experience relates to what they are looking for. They personally screen the resumes and will be looking for well-written cover letters that connect experience to the position they're hiring for. It's a very casual workplace and it's okay to show some personality but we have definitely had people who go overboard. Show that you are flexible, fun and able to get the job done. Remember that it is all about the students and helping them stay engaged and supported.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time in a previous/current position that a process changed with very little notice and how you adapted to that change?   1 Answer
  • Please share with us a little about yourself and how this position fitting in your career path.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Arizona State University

Administrative Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

One phone contact to set up interview. Two in-person interviews. One phone discussion to accept offer/negotiate salary. The interview process was quite simple really. I only had to interview with one person for the first interview, and for the second I spoke directly to the manager/supervisor who I would be working directly with.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to tell them what I knew about [very difficult] research area that the office worked in. My job would ultimately have very little (if anything at all) to do with that research subject.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I requested a higher rate of pay to compensate for increase in costs related to employment, such as parking and higher insurance costs (than my previous position.)

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Phoenix, AZ) in January 2015.

Interview

2 interview process. Phone call, followed by in-person interview. 2 weeks later you will receive an offer. After you accept an offer you will have to attend an all-day orientation on the Tempe campus. Orientations will be twice a month, typically on Mondays. They will discuss benefits packages, this process will take a very, very, long time.

Interview Questions

• What was your previous experience?
      What was your skills?
      What are your strengths and weaknesses?
      How does your skill set apply to this job?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in December 2013.

Interview

All applicants must apply online. Keywords in your resume (that match the posting) are what will flag your application for consideration to HR. The interview will consist of 10 questions that each interviewer will rotate asking and taking notes of your answers. They are panel interviews with anywhere from 2 to 4 people sitting in. After an initial interview a second interview with the Director 1:1 was required.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation that you had to handle multiple priorities simultaneously. How did you handle it?   Answer Question

Negotiation

They seriously low balled salary offer. Was only able to bring it up slightly.

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in November 2008.

Interview

Very poor interview: Negative line of questioning and vague description of job duties and department function.

Interview Questions

• How do you handle difficult employees, customers, situations etc. Too many of these questions. I went away thinking this office was dysfunctional and it was!!!   1 Answer

Negotiation

Salary was offered I accepted. Do not work for this department!!!!!