Arizona State University Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Jun 26, 2017

2.5

Graduate Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in April 2013.

Interview

Meeting first with the faculty of the Department of Chemistry and Biochemistry (now school of molecular sciences) and then individual faculty members with research areas of interest to me. Many students are accepted for rotation schedules; in some cases like mine you may be directly accepted into a lab.

Interview Questions

• What techniques for purification and characterization for nucleic acids and proteins do you have experience with?   1 Answer

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University.

Interview

Applied online. Took them about 4+ months to call me, but I now work there and see that is common.

Phone interview with several members of team. They usually ask about 4 or 5 situational questions. If you are familiar with STAR format, that is the system they follow. A week later I was called back for an in-person interview.

In person interview took place on campus. Panel included my potential supervisor, a member of the team, a person who was doing a job similar to the one I was interviewing for, and another member of the department I was interviewing with. Was called 2 weeks later with an offer. Pay was bottom of the range and firm - no negotiating possible. I accepted because I really wanted to work for ASU and haven't regretted it.

Random Tips:
    I have since been on several hiring committees at ASU and the experience outlined above is commonly how things work. The hiring managers like to have a mixture of individuals on the interview panels to get a more well-rounded opinion of the candidate and they will include people at all levels, not just manager-types. This being an organization that focuses heavily on student engagement and the ability to work with diverse populations, the focus is generally on how well-liked you will be and how easily you connect with people from various backgrounds/job levels. The questions will follow a STAR format and they will be grading you based on how well your response shows job-area knowledge and how your experience relates to the position. The questions themselves are not hard to answer and are very basic. What I have found through working with various committees is that they are mostly looking for someone who can easily do the job with little training, will be well-liked by both students and staff (i.e. have a positive attitude, show initiative, show that you are really excited to work with students and be part of a college environment..they really like positive, upbeat people and will refer constantly to the "energy" a person put forth in the interview) and has as much experience as possible. This is not the type of place, culturally, where they are looking to train someone who has never done the job...experience is key. Even if your experience is just as a student worker or through an internship, you should focus on how that experience will translate well into the position you're interviewing for. Before you go to the interview, really read the job description and think about ways that your experience relates to what they are looking for. They personally screen the resumes and will be looking for well-written cover letters that connect experience to the position they're hiring for. It's a very casual workplace and it's okay to show some personality but we have definitely had people who go overboard. Show that you are flexible, fun and able to get the job done. Remember that it is all about the students and helping them stay engaged and supported.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time in a previous/current position that a process changed with very little notice and how you adapted to that change?   1 Answer
    • Please share with us a little about yourself and how this position fitting in your career path.   1 Answer

Assistant Professor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

The interview stretched across three days and included a reception just for me, attended by students and faculty, hosted by a faculty member at her home. The department chair heavily hinted that I'd be hearing from him with a job offer in the near future.

Interview Questions

• What about ASU attracts you as an applicant?   1 Answer

Student Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in June 2017.

Interview

I applied for a job online through the ASU external application website. It looked like processing couple weeks, and I got the phone notice to go with the 45 min. interview in-person at ASU SSV building.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you have dealt with the problem?   Answer Question

Web Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ).

Interview

The interview process seemed very rushed with conflicting responses. They scheduled a short phone interview, followed by an interview next day and a response a few days later which seemed to contradict the hiring process based on the response provided during the interview. The process felt very staged. I personally found it highly unprofessional.

Student Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in January 2017.

Interview

Applied online, called back after a few weeks, then was called by the interviewer for scheduling and introduction. Then we met in the on campus Starbucks and spoke for roughly 45 minutes, first casual questions as he was also a student then into the more job important questions.

Interview Questions

• How would you approach a difficult situation with a student?   1 Answer
    • What is your greatest weakness?   1 Answer

Grader Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe (South Africa)

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe (South Africa)) in April 2016.

Interview

You just need to talk with you advisor if you quantify you will get this position. If you wanna to be the grader to the particular class, you need to speak with the professor let he/she talk to the advisor.

Interview Questions

• Did you want to be the grade for my class?   1 Answer

Personal Trainer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Phoenix, AZ) in August 2015.

Interview

A three stage process geared towards culture fit as well as skills assessment to find quality personal training applicants. The process is slightly lengthy due to the three phases of the screening.

Customer Service Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in June 2016.

Interview

Clear roles and responsibilities. Telephonic interview (manager round). Face to face interview ( 3 managers , team lead). they were polite. Asked about previous work experience. Matched up with skills expected. Closing tickets , creating tickets etc.

Interview Questions

• how would you handle different customers. are you comfortable providing service via calls, chats,email?   Answer Question

Office Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Tempe, AZ

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Arizona State University (Tempe, AZ) in May 2016.

Interview

phone screening, panel interview mostly about experience and behavior questions.ASU is the largest public university by enrollment in the U.S.[12] It had approximately 82,060 students enrolled in 2014, including 66,309 undergraduate and 15,751 graduate students