Arm Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arm Graduate Software Engineer Interview Questions

Interviews at Arm

3.1

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Galway (Ireland)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at Arm (Galway (Ireland)) in March 2016.

Interview

I applied through University portal. The first round was a 30 minutes telephonic interview with a principal engineer. After three weeks I got a mail to come for onsite interview with 3 senior engineers. It went for more than 1 hour. I never got the response of the interview. They mentioned reimbursement of travel expense but never received it. HR doesn't respond to any mail.

Interview Questions

• During telephonic interview he asked many questions about the company, basic Java questions, Unit testing, open source contributions etc,
    During onsite interview the panel was of 3 senior engineers. Basic questions on Java, System architecture, Testing, Design pattern, Agile. The questions were simple but too many.
    Draw architecture for automate traffic light system.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Arm

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arm (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

I think the process has changed since I was hired, but this is what happened:

Phone interview. Mostly talking about projects on my CV. Some technical questions at the end.

Face-to-face interview. Scheduled for 2 hours but lasted 2 hour 45 minutes (bear in mind when scheduling transport).

- Structured interview questions on C programming. Most of the questions were straightforward, but some were dependent on things like the order of obscure operations in C. There was also an open-ended programming question where you were expected to write some code, get it code reviewed in real-time and make amendments.

- Structured interview questions on computer hardware. This caught me out a bit as I hadn't revised hardware concepts.

- Open-ended interview questions on Java programming. Definitely the strongest part of the interview for me as I had prepared for it.

Finally, I had an HR interview over the phone. It was mostly a formality before receiving an offer. I talked a little bit about my CV and why I was applying to ARM.

Interview Questions

• Describe an implementation of a linked list. (Asked at the end of the phone interview)   Answer Question
    • Using any program language, take your time and design a simple network protocol [that satisfies a provided set of software requirements].   Answer Question
    • Explain the concept of multiple inheritance and describe how it relates to Java.   1 Answer
    • (Provided with a diagram of a system-on-a-chip) Name the components on this diagram and explain their purpose.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Arm (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in February 2016.

Interview

Applied online, had a video interview through HireVue (I think that's what is wall called). Afterwards was asked to attend an assessment day. The video interview is just you talking to a cam recording yourself. Personally I find this awkward but ARM is not unique in asking for video interviews, it seems to be the 'in' thing now. The Assessment day was quite enjoyable, some group exercises which were reasonably fun, an individual exercise (which I felt was rather pointless, sorry :\ ), and an interview. I found the interview quite difficult, but I think it was my weak knowledge of computer architecture rather than the questions that made it hard. All in all ARM is a pretty cool company and treated everyone very well.

Interview Questions

• Many questions about computer hardware, such as SoC, how operating system manages process, what are threads etc..   Answer Question

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arm.

Interview

First stage is an online interview with some easy technical questions and then if you are successful you are selected for an onsite interview. Very easy technical interview, good stuff and fun group activities.

Interview Questions

• Mainly architecture related questions ( CPU/GPU/pipeline/SIMD etc ).   Answer Question

Application

Interview

Absolutely terrible. Process took several weeks to kick off, at which point I was offered a technical phone interview on a date I could not make due to university obligations at the time. I immediately replied to find an alternative, with no reply until the day before the arranged date. This reply organised to the following day instead, despite offering several days the following week - thereby actually giving me time to prepare thoroughly.

Questions during the phone interview were difficult to understand (bad phone line - brought up several times) and difficult to explain (One question was to explain how to write a line of C to define a function pointer - I defy anybody to do this over the phone).

Overall, I would not recommend applying. Complete waste of time and effort.

Interview Questions

• Could you describe the line of code to define a function pointer?   1 Answer

Graduate Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arm (London, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

I applied through the university, and the interview took place at the university. There were two interviewers, one manager and one senior engineer. They described to me their departments and they give me some examples of their current projects. Then they asked me a very easy problem to solve in C. They wanted to see if I would check the edge cases. They asked me to modified my solution in order to handle a specific case. I asked if I should try to find the optimised solution from the beginning.. They preferred to give an answer first to work.. and then we discussed the optimised solution. They asked me.. what is the benefits of the optimised solution.. they care about the techniques used in embedded systems.. loop unrolling.., avoid repeated division etc..
    Then they asked me more about my background in hardware and software, and they asked me different question depending on my previous answers..
    At the interview the senior engineer was the one who made the questions, and the manager just commented in some points. They were very friendly, and they tried to make me feel comfortable.

I pasted to the next stage..

Interview Questions

Arm Response

Apr 21, 2015 – Social Recruiting Manager

Thanks for leaving of a review of your interview experience!

We highly encourage you to continue looking for future roles with ARM and apply for any positions that you feel a good fit for... More

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Arm (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in August 2012.

Interview

Phone interview followed by assessment center. All pretty standard for grad level. Basic OO programming questions at phone interview. Assessment center involved presentation + group work with HR followed by technical panel interview with engineers. Was offered the job in the end, but it took months for them to get back to me after the interview (after telling me it'd be a week).

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arm (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

After applying through the internal vacancy system, I was invited for a phone interview which lasted for 30-45 mins. The questions were fairly straightforward: What languages do you prefer? What have you done in university? Few days later I was invited for a face-to-face interview at the campus. the interview was really comfortable and the interviewers were really nice and there was a lot of humour. There were a few brain teaser (C/C++) questions and a few hardware questions.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arm (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in November 2012.

Interview

Just finished phone interview, and is invited for assessment center

Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arm (Cambridge, East of England, England (UK)) in March 2012.

Interview

The initial phone interview covers mostly the embedded questions. The assessment center took a day, consisted of 2 group/behavioral and a technical interview. After about 2 days, the HR emailed me about scheduling a follow up call which leads to informing me about the offer.

Interview Questions

• Common things encountered during coding, ie, what a certain error messages mean.   1 Answer

Negotiation

DIdn't negotiate