Art Van Furniture Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Apr 2, 2017

2.5

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Chicago, IL) in February 2017.

Interview

They are very straight forward, discussed expectations of the position, local company structure, amount of recent growth and expectations for the next couple years. Expect a call with a few preliminary questions and then to meet in person with your local hiring manager.

Interview Questions

• Ask to describe responsibilities for specific project at previous employer.   1 Answer

Furniture Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Downers Grove, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Downers Grove, IL) in October 2016.

Interview

I met with two individuals that interviewed me on the showroom floor. They asked me tell them a little about myself. They asked me questions about if I was put in different situations how would I react or perform.

Interview Questions

• Do you consider yourself a team collaborator?   1 Answer

I decided not to go with job because I was concerned about the commission system that was set up. It seemed it would be very difficult to achieve the income that I desired without putting in long hours. I have a family and I was not willing to sacrifice them inorder to achieve the income.

Jan 4, 2017 – Vice President - HR

Commission is not for everyone. We offer a "draw against commission" program that pays $10.88/hr. draw against an average commission of about 6.5%. Most sales associates earn from $18.00/hr. to ... More

Customer Service Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Novi, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Novi, MI).

Interview

I applied for the position on Indeed.com. about a week later I got a call and asked if I could come in for an interview.

When I got to the store I asked a sales associate where I should go to find the Manager and he was very helpful.

I waited about 2 minutes for the Manager to come out and greet me. She had a very pleasant attitude and seemed as though she would be fun to work with.

The actual interview was very easy. It was comfortable in that it didn't feel like someone was attacking you with questions you can't possibly answer in a flattering way.

There was a list of questions that the Manager asked and before I left she offered me the position and I accepted. Later that day I received an email with an application and a form to electronically sign allowing them to do the background check. A few days later I got the form for the drug test.

Interview Questions

• How do you deal with customers who are less than satisfied?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Warren, MI

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Warren, MI) in June 2016.

Interview

Relaxed and informal. I met with a manager and sat at a dining table on the showroom floor. We talked about my previous work experience. He asked a few other questions and explained that weekends are required and then told me to expect a phone call within a week.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a difficult work situation and the steps you took to make it better.   Answer Question

Visual Merchandiser Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Chicago, IL) in March 2016.

Interview

Applied with resume through web portal. Received a call within the week and scheduled a personal interview a few days later. When I arrived for the interview, I had to fill out a paper application. The GM asked me a couple softball questions, then gave me an hour to accessorize a room display. After this, I found out that they are only offering $10.80 per hour for this position and it's non-negotiable. I wish I had spent my afternoon doing something else.

Interview Questions

Art Van Furniture Response

Jan 4, 2017 – Vice President - HR

Position pay for visual merchandisers is based upon skill and ability. This may have been what the store wanted to offer this candidate for the position, but there are opportunities to make more.

Warehouse Worker Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling Heights, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Sterling Heights, MI) in December 2015.

Interview

Was interviewed by warehouse manager in a conference room. He reviewed my resume and asked questions about my work history and social life. Working well with others and power equipment certification.

Interview Questions

• Previous warehouse experience.   2 Answers

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Grand Rapids, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

They want to find out if you are able to talk to people. In-person Sales experience is helpful. If you can't carry on a conversation then this probably isn't the job for you

Interview Questions

• How much money do you want to make?   1 Answer

Management Interview

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture.

Interview

The interview was very professional, welcoming and enlightening. I did not find any or the interviewer's questions difficult. The entire interview process lasted about 45 minutes to an hour with many of the questions referring to my experience and knowledge within the industry and my past work experience.

Interview Questions

• Why did you choose to apply to Art Van Furniture?   1 Answer

Customer Service Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toledo, OH

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Toledo, OH) in January 2015.

Interview

After a second interview I received a call stating I got the job and would get an email with further instructions. After 12 days I received an email (on a Saturday morning) with a form to complete my drug screening. The lab I was sent to was closed for the weekend and on that Monday it was a terrible storm that closed the whole city so I was unable to complete my test due to the lab closing. Once I contacted Art Van about this I was confronted by someone I never spoke to before yelling at me stating it cost them money and I was not able to get another form. I politely advised them that I would not want to work for a company that is as unprofessional as Art Van nor would I shop there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about yourself, Simple questions mainly sales   1 Answer

Feb 5, 2016 – Vice President - HR

Really sorry to hear about your negative experience. We will reiterate to everyone the importance of listening closely to what a caller is saying. Hopefully you will give us another chance in the ... More

Sales Interview

Anonymous Employee in Orland Park, IL

Application

I applied through other source. I interviewed at Art Van Furniture (Orland Park, IL) in October 2014.

Interview

Meet with assistant manager, if they like you, you are introduced to store manager and meet with him. Basic questions, no surprise questions. Easy interview, having no retail background or furniture experience, was no problem. Hired within a couple weeks and set up for training.

Interview Questions

• What was your past experience? Why do you think you would be right for this position?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Draw, straight commission no base pay