Art.com Interview Questions in Emeryville, CA | Glassdoor

2.8

19 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Software Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied in-person. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in May 2017.

Interview

Met with the hiring manager at a career fair, talked to him for 20 minutes about my background and Art.com. Was then asked to come in for an onsite the following week.

Interview Questions

• Given a string with numbers and operators, including parentheses, parse the string and output the result of the operations and numbers.   Answer Question

Software Architect Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

Initial phone interview with Director of Engineering(Mostly design questions and resume. No coding exercise) and then 3 hour onsite. Onsite Consist of 4 rounds. 2 rounds with Directors, One round with 2 senior software engineers and One round with software architect.
    The overall experience was good. The directors were nice people. Interview questions were mainly focused on Java and Spring framework. The interview with Senior software engineers and architect was technical including coding exercise.

Graphic Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

Two in-person interviews, even though they knew I was from out of town. Asked me the exact same questions during the second interview. Refused to give a salary range until I did. Didn't follow up from second interview until weeks after. When asked, they didn't give any feedback or criticism to help me with interviews in the future. Waste of time.

Email Marketing Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Pretty standard. Met with direct reports, director, vp and hr. Everyone was really nice. Most especially HR. They really treated me nicely as they did my entire employment. There was not a lot of room for negotiation when it came to salary

Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in July 2014.

Interview

Very rushed process that was pretty intense, although the contract recruiter tried really hard to be personable and helpful. Regardless, not such a great vibe from some of the folks I interviewed with. They rushed to get me there, then scheduled several hours of interviews in a single day (my bad for agreeing!) with the big dogs at the end of a 9 hour day. I was mental jello and it was pure hubris on my part to think I could be anything but STUPID at the end of such a long and rigorous day. Lesson learned.
    However, LOTS of contradictory / negative / just plain weird comments (We’re a growth company! We’re very conservative! We’re looking for new ideas! How will you react when I tell you NO? This is NOT a strategic role! I don’t want to bash the company, but….) and some uncomfortable smirks from some folks, Also a VP that shared what is undoubtedly confidential (and probably false) info about a former c-suite emp (!!!), and many odd comments that I believe were supposed to level set expectations regarding the company, culture, growth potential and maybe salary. Be sure and check the reviews here before diving in. Also, just as an FYI, Emeryville is sort of like San Fauxcisco.

Interview Questions

• How will you react when I tell you we can't / won't / aren't going to do things you recommend? Huh?   1 Answer

User Experience Designer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in June 2014.

Interview

Started with recruiter phone screen, then moved to a phone screen with a hiring manager. Next stage: onsite interview with 2 team members and a product head. Everyone was pleasant to meet with. The team members described their vision for the future of the team and how they currently collaborate. Overall, everyone was informative and seemed forthcoming with the challenges that the team faced in the past, and how they planned to move forward into the future.

Online Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Emeryville, CA

Interview

One phone interview than an in person where met with the current marketing associate and the director of international sales. Seemed like a pretty demoralized officeplace, kept getting told job visibility was low and work was tedious.

Marketing/Creative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

I applied for a position at Art.com after finding the role on LinkedIn. Within a week of applying, I had a call from the HR team for initial screening. Several days later, the rep called back to schedule an in-person interview for me with 2 team members, one of which I would potentially report to. That went great, and I came back 2 days later to meet more of the team. After that, I took a skills test, and could reach out with specific questions about the role when I had them. Not long after, I was presented with an offer and after a round of negotiation, I accepted.

The people I met with were what really won me over. For me, it's about finding talented people who I want to work with and learn from (ideally, for years to come). Initially, some of the Glassdoor reviews scared me... but I'm glad I gave it a chance because once I got in there, it felt right. I clicked with everyone quite organically, and this just seemed like a perfect fit. From my understanding, this company is building a real "brand" around the basic online store that it's been in the past, and it seems like there are a lot of opportunities for sharp creatives/marketers with knowledge of branding, content, and collaboration.

Interview Questions

• I can't recall a specific one as it was a while back, but I was asked to explain how I'd handle prioritizing workload -- when/how I would reach out to my manager for help, etc. Basic "How well do you juggle?" questions that most creatives or marketers with heavy workloads could answer well.   Answer Question

Director Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA).

Interview

Clear communication and well organized. Got to speak to different people in different roles. Good information on the company and its promise and track record so far. In person interview lasted for a few hours involving interaction with different levels in the organization. Good experience overall.

Marketing Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Emeryville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Art.com (Emeryville, CA) in March 2013.

Interview

Phone interview plus two in-person interviews. The first in-person interview took about 2 hours. I met with two middle managers. Afterward, they requested several work samples, including a week's worth of content planning. The second interview seemed somewhat pointless. It lasted about an hour. I met with an HR person and one of the previous interviewers. We did not discuss the work samples I had submitted. The process seemed unnecessarily long for an associate-level position.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions were mostly standard issue. Managing KPI tracking is a big deal, so make sure you can demonstrate some basic quantitative skills, in addition to a solid understanding of content strategy.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Make sure to negotiate salary, though it will add another week or two of back-and-forth before signing a contract. I requested $8k above the offer and got $5k.