Arup Interview Questions in San Francisco, CA | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 17, 2017

2.9

Cost & Scheduling Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arup (San Francisco, CA) in March 2017.

Interview

I interviewed over the phone for 30 minutes with three engineers. The interview was average. Most of the questions were straightforward. They took turns asking me questions. The atmosphere was calm and relaxed. They were looking for someone to be recruited in their team and were possibly looking for the intern to give a full-time opportunity in the future.

Interview Questions

• Projects?
      Coursework?
      Tell me about yourself and interests?
      Softwares that I'm familiar with?
      Why did you apply to San Fransisco?
      Negative experience with a team?
      Technical achievements?
      Why ARUP?
      Willing to relocate?
      Tell us something about your research paper.
      Any questions for us?
      Answer Question

Graduate Geotechnical Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arup (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Phone interview with recruiter, next phone interview with staff engineer, and then final interview with 4 engineers (including principle). final interview you have to make a presentation and briefly answer som e "quiz" questions.

Interview Questions

• Asked about items listed on your resume. You are asked to elaborate on related experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arup (San Francisco, CA) in February 2015.

Interview

Potential people who could work with me came to the meeting room and asked me what I wanted to work with during the summer. They were pretty open and I asked with which projects each of them usually worked with.

Graduate Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Arup (San Francisco, CA) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied online after having toured the office with my graduate school class. I was emailed about a phone interview about a month after submitting my application. The phone interview was 30 minutes long, pretty general questions, nothing technical. Then two days later I got another email asking me to come in for an in-person interview.

I came in for the in-person interview a week later. It was a three hour long interview that began by me giving a 30 minute presentation on a technical topic of my choice, then a 30 minute casual 1 on 1 interview with a principle in the structures group, he was really nice and fairly laid back. After that came another man, an associate, who was equally friendly and welcoming. I got a small 8 question test to complete in 30 minutes (it only took about 10 and was really easy). After the test we talked 1 on 1 about my answers and then had our own interview. Finally another associate came in and him and I also had a 1 on 1 interview, however this was mostly him telling me about Arup's culture to make sure I actually thought I would like working there. He emphasized how the work is very diverse, the group is very tight nit and works together a lot.

Interview Questions

• For the test, know statics, beam deflections, and simple structural design topics such as where to put tension steel in a RC frame.

For the interview questions, think about times you've worked on something technical and how you solved the problem. Think about what you've done outside of school. Think about what kind of structural engineer you want to be, what you want to do in your career.
      Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Arup (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

Group that was hiring sent out an email about the position through my university department's email list. Sent my resume and cover letter directly to that person (without going through HR). Followed by a phone interview with 3 members of the team where they wanted to learn more about my past experience, relevant school projecs and career goals. Several days later, they set up an in person interview at their office. Interview lasted for approximately an hour. Team wanted to know my experience with a software they are interested in pursuing and my career goals.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Negotiated hourly pay directly with HR (through phone), and was able to get it increased.

Electrical Engineering Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Arup (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I had a really long hiring process. I First applied on their website in February for the summer internship but did not interview before May! I had to send a couple of emails and make calls since I did not hear back for such a long time. Out of a bit of desperation, also due to the fact that I was a bit enamored by the company, I emailed a couple of their offices from the email I got on their website in the US. After about a month, an HR representative got back to me and we were able to schedule an Interview

Interview Questions

• I was asked on the spot to pick a building on my campus and tell how I would make it more energy efficient.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I interviewed at Arup (San Francisco, CA) in February 2012.

Interview

Interview was 25 min long. They asked me about my background and why would I like to intern with Arup. They were also interested in my research and previous working experience. No trick questions. They just wanted to get to know me and to see why I want to intern with them.