Arup Structural Engineer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Arup Structural Engineer Interview Questions

Updated Sep 20, 2017

12 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Structural Engineering Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arup in March 2017.

Interview

I was shortlisted based on my resume which I submitted through their online application portal (NOTE: Application deadlines are in the fall!) I had a telephonic interview with 2 of their experienced structural engineers. It was 15 mins long and they and they asked 4 standard questions which were apparently asked to all the candidates shortlisted.

Their SF office (Structural HQ) takes only 1-2 interns but it's a great firm to work for with some fantastic projects!

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Arup

Structural Engineer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arup.

Interview

This was a phone interview for an engineerng position. Talked to two associates/principles. Process was not too friendly. Did not feel like a conversation at all as I was asked questions after questions and the only response that I got to all my answers was "Ok". Therefore interviewers did not seem engaged or interested at all.

Interview Questions

• What do you do on your free time?
      Please give example of leadership.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arup (San Diego, CA) in February 2016.

Interview

I had a Phone Interview with two engineers in the buildings group. They were very easy to talk to and just asked about my past experience and wanted me to make sure I felt like I would be a good fit for them.

Interview Questions

• Past experience and what computer programs/coding experience did I have.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Arup (Los Angeles, CA).

Interview

Applied through online process and received a call from the office for interview. They organized an Interview Day on a weekend for about 20 or more university students. It was shocking because there were choosing few interns from the group that consisted of mostly undergraduate (as young as 2nd year) and less graduate students. I thought that was very disrespectful from graduate students' perspective or they are at a great disadvantage. They only asked four same interview questions (not technical!) to the students.

Interview Questions

• If you were a project manager with a team of five and you had a project due soon, what would you do?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Arup (Boston, MA) in November 2011.

Interview

1. What structure would you show me?

2. Why do you want Arup?

3. What was your favorite class?

4. Time a group failed?

5. Biggest challenge as an engineer?

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 6+ months. I interviewed at Arup (New York, NY) in January 2009.

Interview

Test regarding ability in desired area of employment as well as a visualization / intelligence test. The test was the most intimidating part, after that it was an enjoyable discussion with an engineer and an HR representative. Due to down economy it was several months before an in office interview with a principal and senior engineer. A presentation was required and a discussion followed. Again, the conversation was relaxed and enjoyable.

Interview Questions

• There weren't any specific questions that I remember being difficult, but the emphasis of the conversation seemed to be to see what level of thought I had given about how structural engineering impacts the other aspects of a project.   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Arup (Edinburgh, Scotland (UK)) in October 2016.

Interview

Involved a 40 minute telephone interview about a week after the online application was completed. Prepare knowledge of the company and practice situation based interview questions.

I spoke with a HR employee who was asking questions from a script. It was difficult to not trip up due to this as it wasn't a natural conversation that flowed.

Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Hong Kong (Hong Kong)

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Arup (Hong Kong (Hong Kong)) in April 2014.

Interview

1. writing test for my technical skills.
    2. interview to see my strength and experiences.
    3. group interview to see my negotiation skills via two group discussion rounds with topics about hot engineering projects at Hong Kong

Interview Questions

• Introduce myself from Education to Past working experiences   1 Answer

Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Arup (London, England (UK)) in April 2013.

Interview

There is an technical test. you need to do it within one hour. there are around 5/6 questions. some theory will be tested, some reinforcement methods will be tested. some design planning questions will be tested as well. finally there is a english test

Interview Questions

• going through your resume first and asked some questions regarding my dissertation   Answer Question

Structural Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beijing, Beijing (China)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Arup (Beijing, Beijing (China)) in April 2012.

Interview

After applied on line, I received a questionnaire. It includes general HR questions and a design question that asked me to design a skyscraper philosophically.