Ascend Public Charter Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Ascend Public Charter Schools Interview Questions

Updated Apr 4, 2017

3.3

Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted by a recruiter to answer questions, then they scheduled a phone interview. The recruiter called 15 minutes late and offered no reason for the late call. The interview felt more like an interrogation, and the recruiter's constant typing throughout made it very hard to concentrate on answering the questions. I am typically a good interviewee and felt as though these circumstances made it very difficult to do well. The recruiter seemed disinterested in my answers, it was more like talking to an automated machine. Not a great experience overall.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach in an underserved community?   Answer Question
    • What is an example of a rigorous lesson that you created and how did you know it was rigorous?   Answer Question

Lower School Teacher Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools in March 2017.

Interview

There's an online application on their website to start the process which includes two short essay questions. I submitted it over the weekend and received an email to have a phone interview on Monday. We arranged for a phone interview that week. The interview lasted about 35 minutes. The interviewer was very friendly and easy to talk to. At the end of the phone call she asked if I could go in to teach a demo lesson. I needed to fly in from out of state for the interview and they accommodated my schedule. I met with the principal for the demo lesson. I was there for about two and a half hours. We went on a tour of the school, I was introduced to staff, I taught my 30 minute demo lesson, and then sat down and talked to the principal. She gave immediate feedback and we discussed points on my resume that she was interested in or had questions about to learn more about me. She was very friendly and easy to talk to as well. They emailed me an offer letter two days later and I accepted. The staff has all been very welcoming and helpful with answering questions, sending emails with congratulations, etc. It was a very positive experience. The school climate was very positive during the tour as well. Everybody seemed very friendly.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to teach in an underserved community?   Answer Question
    • What do you think went well in your lesson? What could be improved and how would you improve it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about your classroom management and how you handle behavior/ discipline.   Answer Question

Dean of Students/Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

Positive Experience. There was an initial phone interview that lasted about 30 minutes. The second interview was scheduled and facilitated by four people. That interview was 5 hours. The interviewers dived deep into my resume and had me role play various scenarios. There was constant in the moment coaching and feedback.

High School English Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in February 2017.

Interview

They allowed me to speak with students for an hour by myself to get a feel for culture and the kids' background. I learned names that I was later able to use in my demo lesson, which gave me immediate credibility. Following meeting with the kids, I had an hour honesty session with five other teachers. I told them about my current experience and asked about theirs, particularly in regard to work-life balance. After that, I knew the teacher and the students--and THEN did my demo. Then, we debriefed. I felt set up for success.

Interview Questions

• How will I ensure that different voices from America are heard in my American Literature curriculum? they also asked questions about management to ensure that I understood and could enact their approach.   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools.

Interview

1st: Phone conversation with Recruitment
    2nd: Phone Conversation with managing director of curriculum
    3rd: phone conversation with managing director of school
    4th: phone conversation with school director
    5th: In-person (full day) at school: teach a lesson; do a PD sessions; meet with students; meet with Chief learning officer

Interview Questions

• General inquiries as to my background and experience with the position   Answer Question

Negotiation

Very easy. We went back and forth twice, but it was comfortable and well received.

Operations Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

I applied online through their website. I was invited to attend to video interview. After the video interview, I was emailed a task assignment. I was then invited to an in-person interview with the Academic Operations Manager and later joined by the School Director. I was also given a tour of the school. About two business days later I received an offer for the position.

Interview Questions

• How do you keep yourself organized?   1 Answer

ESL Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in December 2016.

Interview

I filled out a short application online, and shortly afterwards, someone e-mailed me to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview was about an hour long and wasn't super easy or exceedingly difficult. I would certainly prepare for it by scanning through the website and thinking carefully about why you want to work there. I would also think about the typical structure of your lesson plans. Review your lessons and have some fresh in your mind.

When they found out that I had a demo lesson scheduled at a different charter school, they tried to move the process up a bit. I was able to do a 30-minute demo lesson that week for a small group of second graders in the Bushwick Ascend Lower School. The principal and another admin watched me give the demo lesson, and then I met with the principal to go over the results and do a second interview. The principal gave me EXCELLENT feedback about the lesson, and the interview flowed so well that it felt like a conversation. The school was a great fit for me.

Interview Questions

• How would you introduce yourself and establish basic expectations to a room full of third graders on the first day?   Answer Question

Lower School Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in August 2016.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me after I'd been referred by someone else. As it was the end of the summer, she wanted to get the ball moving and asked if we could do a phone screening in the next hour. I did. It was a fairly intense, hour-long interview. No questions that were really outside of the normal teaching parameter, nothing really specific to the school. She told me at the end of the phone call that I was moving forward. I met another staff member in Brownsville at their bigger campus which was gorgeous. I had a great time in the interview, went over a lesson plan. It was fairly quick, maybe 45 minutes. Again, this is the end of the summer, so could be very different with more time. I had a very good impression of the school, its community and ideology and despite other offers chose it.

Elementary Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process began with a phone interview and then they asked me to come in for a demo lesson. The phone interview consisted of several questions that pertained to getting to know my teaching style and past experiences. It was a very friendly and positive process. Then, I was asked to come in for a demo lesson that same week. They emailed me two objectives I could choose from to revolve my lesson around. I completed my demo-lesson in front of approximately ten 3/4 grade students. Then, the interview continued afterwards when we sat down and talked more about my experience and my reflection on the lesson. I was also given feedback. I heard back that same day with an offer.

Interview Questions

• What is an example of a rigorous lesson that you planned? What were the steps you took to prepare for this lesson?   1 Answer

Classroom Teacher Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2016.

Interview

The interview process started with a phone interview, where they asked several behavioral/situational questions. They also wanted to know about how you differentiated your lessons and plans. Next came an in-person interview following a demo lesson. You needed to show content mastery, and classroom management technique, as well as being coachable in real-time.

Interview Questions

• What went well with your demo lesson? What did not go well in your lesson?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I received a fair offer upfront, thus no negotiation was necessary.