Ascend Public Charter Schools Interview Questions | Glassdoor

3.1

1. Featured Interview

Community Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in March 2019.

Interview

Was greeted by my direct supervisor, she told me a little about Ascend, went through my resume and asked some questions, gave me a brief tour of the school and then offered me the job at the end.

Teaching Fellow Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools.

Interview

I had a video chat meeting with some of the school's HR staff and current teachers. I was interviewed alongside three other candidates interested in teaching the same topic as me; we had to present mini lessons to each other, then work on a group activity.

Interview Questions

• Teach us something about any topic you are passionate about.   Answer Question

Associate Dean Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (New York, NY) in October 2019.

Interview

I applied for the position and then a few days later I received an email stating that I was invited for a phone interview. The phone interview lasted about 25-30 minutes.

Interview Questions

• How would handle a student who is not performing to their ability?   Answer Question

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (New York, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

The interview was an inquiry about teaching styles, classroom management skills, and creating equity. The interviewer asked a few questions about these items, then told me a bit about the school, then asked if i had any questions.

The follow up was supposed to be a possibility of a second interview, but I got an email instead stating I didn't get the position.

Interview Questions

• Suppose there was a student not on task during a lesson. What do you do?   Answer Question

Teaching Fellowship Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in July 2019.

Interview

Submitted an application online and was contacted a month later to set up a phone screening which was rescheduled last-minute multiple times. After the screening, was called in to an in-person interview with a group of educators. Had to prepare a lesson plan of the subject of my choice but only teach the first eight minutes, followed by positive and constructive feedback. One on one interview followed.

Interview Questions

• When was the last time you made a mistake at work and how did you handle it?   Answer Question

Summer Teaching Fellow Interview

Interview

Phone screening interview done by the hiring manager. followed up with an in person interview and sample lesson plan that was done with others applying for the same position. then, the offer !

Teacher, Elementary School Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (New York, NY) in February 2019.

Interview

A lot of back and forth to set-up a phone call. The interview itself wasn't very challenging and lasted only for about 20-30 minutes.
    My fiance' applied for a position as did I. I am actually not a fan of charter schools but applied out of curiosity. I believe they only want to higher newly qualified teachers who they can exploit to work longer hours. In my experience charters, schools know they can exploit newly qualified teachers because teachers are in desperate need to gain experience. This needs to stop. As you can see from the reviews of the workers online.. the people at this school are clearly expected to work long-past the official working hours with lots of crazy demands. I am a teacher with 7 years of experience and a masters degree in education and my fiance' nearly has a doctorate in education.. The fact that we didn't even get to the second round pretty much indicates they aren't looking for the best teachers but ones they can mold. This charter school BS needs to come to an end. It is destroying education in our country.

Associate Director of Publications Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Brooklyn, NY

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (Brooklyn, NY) in January 2019.

Interview

Initially, I had a brief phone interview, after which I was given an editing assignment to complete, which took a few hours. Then, once I sent that off, I heard back about the in-person interview a day later.

The interview was about 40 minutes long, started out with my would-be coworker and supervisor, and then later we were joined by the boss of the administrative office.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a company correspondence situation where a coworker didn't get you what you needed by the deadline?   1 Answer

Teacher Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Ascend Public Charter Schools (New York, NY) in July 2018.

Interview

Great Process. They did a telephone interview first and then in person. Everyone was so polite and open, I loved the process. The people I meant with were very open and professional. They truly wanted to know about me as a teacher and eased the tension with my face to face with their kind attitude.

Recruiter Interview

Interview

Hiring manager reached out via email with a link to schedule a phone screen. I was placed on speaker during the phone screen which made it hard to hear the questions clearly. I was told by the hiring manager she needed to multi-task and no one else was in the room... Towards the end of the call, I was told I would receive a follow-up within the next three business day which would let me know if I moved on to next stage. Based on the details given during the call, the overall process is long and drawn out because they inexperienced in HR.