Astellas Pharma US Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Astellas Pharma US Interview Questions

Updated Mar 27, 2018

Pharmaceuticals Sales Representative Interview

Anonymous Employee in Newburgh, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Newburgh, NY) in September 2011.

Interview

I had a phone screen with standard compliance questions from a third party service hired by the organization. Then a phone screen with hiring manager and then to an in-person interview with hiring manager followed by an interview with the sales director. The total timeline was three weeks before offer was presented. It was then followed by an extensive background check, which is standard for the industry.

Interview Questions

• Utilize the STAR format for answers. How do you overcome objections?
      What motivates you to succeed?   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US.

Interview

First, I had a phone screen with someone from their HR department. Within the next 24 hours, I was able to schedule my first round interview.

A week from my phone screen, I met with a District Manager, someone from HR and a Senior Sales Rep. They had me walk them through my resume and then they asked the standard situational questions. (Give me a time when this happened; give me a time when you had to deal with ...) After the interview was done, they told me that I would hear from HR to see if I would be passed on to the second round. Within 24 hours I was able to schedule my 2nd round interview.

For my 2nd round interview, I met with a District Manager and a Regional Manager. Same as the first interview, they had me walk them through my resume and then answer situational questions. After their questions, we role played two different sales pitches. One was for a product I had sold in the past and one sales pitch was for a product that I could be potentially selling if I got the job. After my interview, they told me I should hear from HR to see if I made it to the final round. Within 24 hours I was able to schedule my final interview.

For my final interview, I was flown out to Chicago to meet with a Sales Director. Very different interview (For the better) very informational, very conversational. I actually enjoyed this interview the most because the interviewer wasn't too focused on my resume and typical interview questions, he was focused on getting to know me as a person and if I would be a fit for the company.

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northborough, MA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Northborough, MA) in March 2017.

Interview

I want to first say that I went into the phone screen half-heartedly and didn't feel like I had prepared adequately. In any event, this review is specifically about the phone screen which appears to be conducted through a third party (ADP). First, I was told the conversation would be recorded. I have no problem with that ...what I had a problem with was the phone screener interrupted me after every other word to take notes...so I am baffled as to what the recording is for..maybe to protect themselves in the event of interview questions being illegal etc. in any event, being interrupted like that made it really difficult to complete a thought or provide complete information. Secondly, I was really feeling like this was not going any further when the phone screener asked me what I thought I could contribute to Astra-Zeneca....ummm. Thought I was interviewing for a position with Astellas? My response was..."what I hope to contribute to Astellas is...."

Interview Questions

• What do you think you can contribute to Astra Zeneca? (Yes, Astra Zeneca, not Astellas... go figure...)   Answer Question

Associate Director Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Chicago, IL) in August 2016.

Interview

A half day series of interviews with HR, leadership, and staff who would work with the position. I was given an office for the day, and made very comfortable throughout. As much attention was focused on questions I had as there was on the interview questions. Everyone I spoke with was extremely friendly, and the logistics were all taken care of by Astellas and went smoothly.

Staff Scientist I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Redwood City, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Redwood City, CA) in March 2009.

Interview

Hiring manager will phone screen top resumes then call those of interest in for a whole/half day interview dependent upon level. Offer will be extended by hiring manager by phone with opportunity for negotiation prior to written offer being extended.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to overcome a challenge and how you tackled that.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Negotiation was based on competitive external and internal salary ranges for that position level.

Medical Science Liaison Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Northbrook, IL) in January 2016.

Interview

Relatively quick process from submitting my CV through the Astellas website to a brief phone screen with HR, a longer phone screen with the hiring manager and finally and in person interview with five separate interviewers and a presentation I was required to prepare and present.

Interview Questions

• How do you manage a new territory/therapeutic area with regard to meeting new KOLs - what strategies do you use to schedule introductory meetings?   Answer Question

Senior Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Northbrook, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

STAR Format - Behavioral Interviewing Style; usually 3-4 interviews after the initial phone screening; The interviews were all personable. Interviewed with HR rep, hiring Director, another Director in the dept, and Executive Director.

Senior Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Santa Monica, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Santa Monica, CA) in January 2015.

Interview

Had a phone interview with an HR person, followed by a phone interview with the two hiring managers. I never received any contact info other than the HR person. I followed up with her, she said she would get back to me and then never did.

Interview Questions

• Standard questions about experience, including what technique would require the most training for me (e.g. what would they have to teach me)   Answer Question

IT Project Coordinator Interview

Anonymous Employee in Northbrook, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (Northbrook, IL) in July 2017.

Interview

Started with a phone screening with the recruiter. After that, phone interview with two hiring managers. Offered job and accepted after the second phone interview. Great interview experience and work experience.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had a conflict when working with a team and how you went about solving it.   Answer Question

Hospital Sales Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Astellas Pharma US (San Francisco, CA) in October 2009.

Interview

It was clear that the manager wanted someone younger for the job--I suspect that there is a level of age discrimination that is at work at Astellas.

Interview Questions

• The disadvantage of all of my experience   1 Answer
    • Being laid off would be a good thing because it would allow a lot of free time.   1 Answer