Atkins Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Atkins Interview Questions

Interviews at Atkins

LOMA/GIS Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Beltsville, MD

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a week. I interviewed at Atkins (Beltsville, MD) in February 2011.

Interview

This was a very quick interview where I was described the process of completing a LOMA and my skills we're weighed against what would be required of me. We went over my schooling and what type of projects we're completed in school.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever heard of a Letter of Map Amendment?   1 Answer

Senior Civil Site Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Atkins (Orlando, FL) in August 2013.

Interview

First, one applies on-line. Then after a phone interview on is called in for a face to face with two Sr. Project Managers. The interviewers were both professional and polite. Note that this is a large firm with my initial interface was with HR in Atlanta. One can feel the "big firm" mentality. Whether this is a good or bad thing is up to the individual.

Interview Questions

• No questions were difficult or unexpected. They were rightfully concerned over my technical capabilities.   Answer Question

Program Director-Energy/Oil and Gas/Environmental Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Denver, CO

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Atkins (Denver, CO) in October 2013.

Interview

Was approached by Atkins directly based on a mutual business association and met informally to discuss position to provide leadership in the Denver office where Atkins has limited or no presence in the competitive Denver energy market. After initial meeting, met with some staff in the Denver office (old PBS&J) for conversation and lunch. The supposed "hiring manager" for environmental services for the Western was located in Fort Worth and failed to make the scheduled conference call while I was in the interview. Interview was delegated to another program manager in another program who was located in Portland, OR.

Follow-up was abysmal, and in the end, a total waste of my time. The "Hiring Manager" (aka Western Regional Manager) never followed up on providing me basic benefits information (I had to ask repeatedly), never provided a job description (even though I was asked to write one and send it), called me 55 minutes late when we had scheduled yet another conference call, failed to come through on five requests for information, and above all, didn't have the authority to make me a salary offer without gaining approval from a Senior Vice President located in the Atkins North America HQ in Tampa, a person the "hiring manager" admitted he couldn't remember if he had ever met.

My reference check was done by the aforementioned program manager.

When I finally was contacted, I was told an offer letter was in the works, but the program manager, a peer, began negotiating with me on salary and what my expected billable time would be. Rule no. 1 of negotiations: Never negotiate with those who don't have the power to do so, especially in contract negotiations. When the offer letter finally arrived 5 days after I was told it would, there was a salary offer (at the very bottom of the range), but it was unsigned and had absolutely no benefits information/offer, no employee handbook to review, and no clauses that I might review with my attorney. The coup de gras was that the "offer" came from the aforementioned program manager (presumably a peer and only 1 year of actual consulting experience) with an additional request for my "current clients and dollar value of work, and my perspective client list and their value."

On advisement of my legal counsel, I countered with a request for a signed offer letter along with a requirement to receive the proposed benefits package, bonus and performance structure, and an agreement that I would provide client contacts (they had already spoken to some who I used as references). I received no response to my counter and after three emails and leaving two voicemails, and another voicemail to the aforementioned program manager in Portland, I received a call from the "Hiring Manager/Regional Program Manager telling me that Atkins was uncertain about being able to hire me without putting undue billable pressure on me. All this after Atkins let junior staff know that I was being hired to lead and develop business and mentor them in Denver.

Interview Questions

• How billable can you be on Day One? Softball questions that seemed to indicate they didn't have any vision or direction.   Answer Question

Atkins is in a major whirlwind and reorganization after acquiring PBS&J and the landscape seems to change daily. It seems like there is horrendously poor communication, lack of vision, and generally poor leadership in North America. I'm genuinely impressed with Atkins CEO Uwe Krueger, who is a leading mind in complex systems theory. Apparently, the ability to think at that level hasn't transferred over from London to leadership in Tampa and elsewhere within Atkins North America.

Several months ago, there was an article on Linked-In about the six signs that indicate why you might want to decline an opportunity. Atkins hit them all. I'd avoid them like the plague, or at least until they straighten out where they are going.

Total waste of my time.

Traffic Operations Control Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Atkins (Atlanta, GA) in July 2016.

Interview

Group interview with 10 hiring managers, group exercise to see who you would save from a cave based on individual's attributes (then defend your assertions), tour of control room, Q&A, finished off with a multi tasking assignment where you had to solve math problems while simultaneously answering questions about emails which constantly came into your inbox and you had to read them first before you could answer the questions about them (while solving math problems at the same time). Two to three time hour time commitment.

Interview Questions

• Did I enjoy the tour of the control room.   1 Answer

Senior ITS Technician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Clearwater, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atkins (Clearwater, FL) in November 2012.

Interview

This was the best interview I ever had in my carear. The manager and the regional manager asked to to meet them in my lunch brake in a restaurant, we had a nice lunch, and had our interview at the same time. Then I was call to have a drugs screaming and after that was done I was a signed a company vehicle, my hand tools and started working.

Interview Questions

• Why should we concider you for this position?   1 Answer

Traffic Operations Center Operator Trainee Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Atkins (Atlanta, GA) in January 2018.

Interview

Apply online, get selected to do an assessment based on multitasking, get invited to what's called an open house - it's a group activity, interview, then one-on-one interview.

They give you a scenario to work on as a group and say it has no bearing on the interview process - no right or wrong. They have you introduce yourself and background. Then they have you do it again and they ask you questions. They give a tour. Then, they do one-on-one interviews with about 3 of their associates with some standard questions.

If you get the job, they call; otherwise, they email you.

They will not tell you why they declined you or why you didn't pass the interview. But the company hires unprofessionally dressed people so don't worry about dressing business casual.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your previous supervisor. What could you have done to make relations with this supervisor better? Tell me about a time when you had a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Contracts/Subcontracts Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Alexandria, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Atkins (Alexandria, VA).

Interview

Recruiter contacted me on LinkedIn about a subcontracts manager positon. I politely told him the commute was too long and I wasn’t interested. He said telecommute was an option and asked me to send my resume. He followed up a couple of times and I did. Interviewed for subk position. They decided not to fill it but asked me to interview for a contracts manager postion. Recruiter called me and made a verbal offer for 20k less than the minimum I told them I would accept. Completely wasted my time after aggressively recruiting me for a job I didn’t apply for. Stay away.

Interview Questions

• How would you spend your first few weeks on the job, if it were offered to you?   Answer Question

Senior Engineer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atkins (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2014.

Interview

It was laid back/casual during lunch time. Meet the leader of the group as well as who would be my manager. Walked around the office, and I met a few of the employees.

Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Atkins (San Diego, CA) in September 2014.

Interview

Easy but long. It takes 2 interviews over the course of 3 months to get the offer letter. Both of my interview are panel interviews, but people comes in and out. I meet most of the PMs in the office. After the interview, the PM shows me the space and the people which I might be working with

GIS Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Atkins in March 2016.

Interview

The process went smooth. The interviewer was a good listener and provided all the necessary information. First, the interviewer briefly introduced the position and background of the company. then I was asked a few questions which were not difficult at all. The whole process was pleasant.