Australian Bureau of Statistics Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Australian Bureau of Statistics Interview Questions

3.2

Interviews for Top Jobs at Australian Bureau of Statistics

Graduate Interview

Interview

The interviewers on the panel were friendly and relaxed. There was one very simple technical question related to the role. The rest of the questions were behavioural and not at all specifically relevant to the role. I was disappointed they didn't ask more about my skills and experiences and how these could benefit me in the role.
    I was merit listed for this position but never received a final offer.

Census Field Officer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Canberra (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics (Canberra (Australia)) in July 2016.

Interview

Phone interview then meeting face to face, to develop credibility and suitability to the team as well as ability to work a job that is confidential in nature and working face to face with the general public. Met for a coffee and there was a range of approx 5 official interview questions however it was done in a very conversational and casual manner. Was a very relaxed and nice interview to develop a relationship with the manager.

Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Melbourne (Australia)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics (Melbourne (Australia)).

Interview

Most of the questions were very technical and not many behavioural questions were asked. You will be given two case studies to work with. Without knowing your knowledge by heart the technical questions can be hard. There was one interviewer from your business line and one interviewer from HR who asked a lot of questions about your values.

Interview Questions

• What do you think of diversity? How would you manage it?   Answer Question

Graduate Progran Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Interview

Received attechnical question 30mins before the interview. Started interview and there was no messing about or small talk, it was highly structured. There were 4 questions, but each question had followed up probing questions. I found the questions to be a bit weird and not the usual type of interview questions, the questioning didn't really offer much of an opportunity to sell yourself. It was as though they were looking for particular answers and more just keep probing and questioning until you got there. One of the interviewers was almost unresponsive with this poker face, minimal body language to indicate agreementwith your points.

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Interview

Of the public sector jobs I applied for, ABS had the fewest number of stages. Passing the initial written application, the second stage involved a 1 hour written assessment responding to one of a number of questions that are respectively related to the various graduate streams ABS offered. Although preparation was not required (if not impossible) and you are able to use the internet to look for sources, I found that having a solid background and/or understanding of current political and social issues helped tremendously in answering the question of my choice. The second last round was a phone interview with an ABS employee. Following that was a final face to face interview.

Interview Questions

• "How do you see your career progressing at the ABS?" In phone interview   1 Answer

Graduate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ months. I interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics.

Interview

First step is a online application with some quiz style questions relating to information about the ABS that can be found online with careful searching. Also some 500 word behavioural questions in first step.

Second step is timed online written essay around a topic related to your stream (area) of choice.

Third step is a quick phone call with one or two people that have standard behavioural questions and a bit about your motivation and history.

Fourth and final step is an onsite interview in front of a panel (some members may teleconference in). There are about five standard behavioural questions. Then a longer question related to your stream which you have a chance to prepare for 15 minutes before the interview.

There are times when you are pushed in the phone/panel interviews with lots of follow up where I think they are just testing your persistence and ability to handle some pressure.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you worked with people with a generational difference, how did you handle this.   Answer Question

IT Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics in September 2011.

Interview

Skill communication
    Project planning
    Task prioprity

Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Australian Bureau of Statistics in October 2009.

Interview

Usual interview questions eg 'tell me about a time when you had to use your judgement'. But took ages to hear back, even when it turned out I was successful.

Interview Questions

• competency based interviews. (eg give situation / examples of times when performed tasks or achieved outcomes using certain skills)   Answer Question