Auto-Owners Insurance Underwriter Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Mar 16, 2017

2.5

Underwriting Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (Lansing, MI) in January 2017.

Interview

Process was one interview session in two parts. Each part was with two people. Asked typical personality and experience questions. Nothing technical. All people were very friendly. The interview was much less stressful than a one on one. Having two interviewers made it feel more like a conversation.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Auto-Owners Insurance

Anonymous Employee in Peoria, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (Peoria, IL) in July 2016.

Interview

I emailed with my cover letter and filled out an online application. I went in for an interview, but they like you to talk to multiple people at the first interview, so be prepared to be there a while. They were very honest and straightforward.

Interview Questions

• -Can you tell us about yourself?   1 Answer

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance in January 2016.

Interview

Fairly informal meeting with several supervisor. Entry level role so supervisors looking for a good fit to the team rather than an in depth insurance knowledge. Want to know why you want to work for company and your career goals.

Interview Questions

• Give an example of working in a team environment to acheive a common goal?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (Lansing, MI) in September 2015.

Interview

I was there for a maximum of 35 minutes. There were two supervisors interviewing me. They didn't ask me many questions. For the questions they did ask, I had solid answers. Overall, I was confused by their lack of interest in asking me questions. I left knowing that I did the best I could.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of a time you had to multi-task?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 days. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (Lansing, MI) in May 2015.

Interview

3 people total. Pretty average interview questions. The interviewers (later my bosses) were extremely nice and helpful.The recruiter made sure my application was seen the very next day. If you meet a recruiter, send your app that night. Do not wait.

Interview Questions

• Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (New York, NY) in March 2015.

Interview

I thought that they didn't ask a lot of good business questions and left a lot up in the air. They did not ask about my experience overall. I was expecting a lot of insurance questions and did not get them. I thought the people that interviewed me were very young and inexperienced.

Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (Minneapolis, MN) in November 2014.

Interview

Interview process was completed in an hour and a half. Had three separate interviews. The first interview was with the commercial lines underwriting supervisor and consisted of basic interview questions. They seemed to want to get to know your personality because alot of the questions were based off of how you managed dealing with people in your last job and in college. The second interview was with the personal lines underwriting supervisors and consisted of the exact same questions as the first interview. The last interview was with the underwriting manager for the building and was just a casual get to know you session. It took two weeks for them to call me back due to them not being able to get ahold of my references at first.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle living out of the dorms in College?   Answer Question

Underwriter Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance.

Interview

Quick, not a lot of time with the people you interview with. 4 interviews with various departments. Lasted a total of 20 minutes. Interviewers are very friendly. No hard questions, no questions that take you out of comfort zone. Very laid back interview process. Waiting for a response from the company takes a long time.

Negotiation

They won't negotiate. The offer is the offer. You can take it or leave it.

Anonymous Employee in Lexington-Fayette, KY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (Lexington-Fayette, KY).

Interview

Submitted application online. Sucks because they don't post job openings so you have no clue what they have available so you're taking a risk at wasting your time. Received a call in two weeks and invited for an interview. Interviewed with the RVP and 2 managers for an hour. Received a call for the job in two weeks. The salary offered was lower than I what asked for and much lower than the national average for similar experience and job title. Asked if they were willing to negotiate and they said no. Really needed the job so I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Name our 10 core values and explain why they may be important in any business atmosphere.   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotitation. Here at A-O, it's either their way (The A-O way) or the highway. No flex on salary, work time (8-4:30 only) when to take lunch (1st lunch 11:30) or what to wear (ties and dress shirts and dress pants, even on Fridays).

Anonymous Employee in Lansing, MI

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Auto-Owners Insurance (Lansing, MI).

Interview

Submitted application. Received a call within 2 weeks. Came in and had standard interview with 3 different people. Received a call within 1 week and received and offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiations.