Auto Trader UK Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Feb 21, 2017

3.3

Administrator Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in September 2016.

Interview

The telephone interview is pretty straight forward in gauging your skill-set and why you actually want the role in the first place. If you’re successful, you are then invited to an Assessment Day.
    This part of the interview process takes 5 ½ hours in total. You face a panel of 4 people from and are given some exercises to complete: face-to-face interview, a timed paper/IT test and then the group exercise. The interview part of the process is the most straight forward, however, the paper/IT exercises were fraught with spelling mistakes and repeated information – some of which was sent out to each candidate prior to the Assessment Day as part of the information pack. Considering that one of the key aspects of the role is accuracy – this isn’t a good start! The final part of the Assessment is the group exercise – which was tantamount to being thrown into a bear pit along with the other candidates vying to be the best heard! Everyone wants the job – sure, but the looks of desperation around the table along with candidate’s anxiety and the need to blurt out anything, as long as it looks as though they’re making a valid contribution – makes it uncomfortable viewing let alone being a part of. By this stage I’d lost all interest in the role. Not a great way to get the best candidates – unless you want someone who can say all the right things, but not necessarily be able to put them into action.

Interview Questions

• Tell me of an instance where you've made a mistake? What is was and how did you rectify the situation?   1 Answer

Oct 25, 2016 – Resourcing Partner

Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the recent interview that you had here. We are sorry to hear that you felt the experience was a negative one. We do try our best to give candidates tasks and ... More

Account Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK in August 2016.

Interview

This was an internal Account Manager position, the company are fantastic with excellent structure and values in place. However, I found the interview process very off-putting. The telephone interview went exceptionally well and the recruiter was really lovely. On getting through to the next stage this would have been a group task, role plays, presentation and 121 interview. This was not for me but if you have that drive then this would be an amazing job and company to work for.

Professional Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in July 2015.

Interview

Interview process was very slick and well organized. The day is split into several sections: a pair programming exercise, tour of office (which is fantastic), technical interview with developers, pairing/observing a member of a team and an interview with a senior manager.

The pair programming exercise involves pairing with one developer on a task with a second developer observing on another monitor. You get offered the choice between IntelliJ or Eclipse and the project is set up for the task; you just have to implement the methods and classes. I didn't finish the task but was told beforehand I was not expected to and the exercise was more to observe my methodology.

In the technical interview the developers have a list of pre-set questions which they have to ask at least a few of. The questions ranged from what is SOLID, to describing the architecture of a webapp.

The interview with a senior manager gives you the opportunity to discuss more about the company ethics and values, as well as your long term goals.

Overall the day was an excellent experience for me and Auto Trader seem to care greatly about the quality of their recruitment process. The company is using some cool technology as well as hosting meetups in their office, so their really is a chance for a developer to learn a lot here.

Interview Questions

• Describe the architecture of a standard webapp.   1 Answer

Python Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2015.

Interview

I applied online for a position in the Manchester office working as a python developer. Autotrader contacted me very quickly to arrange an interview, much faster than any other job I have applied for. The interview involved a technical test in the form of a pair programming exercise, followed by a personal interview to discuss my past education and employment and my suitability for the role. Additionally I was shown around their incredible offices!

Throughout the interview I was made to feel comfortable and as though I was respected. The questions were searching without being too invasive and really got to the heart of why I wanted to work there and what skills I could bring to the table.

While I did not get the role (I was looking for something more mathematically involved, and the role did not have as much maths as I would have liked. This was picked up on by my interviewers.) I left feeling positive about autotrader and how they deal with prospective employees. Unusually, I was offered feedback immediately on being rejected, which is a refreshing change from chasing companies for this info.

Overall, applying to work at autotrader was a refreshing change to the usual process. I would recommend them to anyone.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you were the leader of a team and how you managed this responsibility?   Answer Question

Jun 22, 2015 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your interview with us. We are glad you had a positive experience and we wish you all the best with your job search.

Digital Marketing Executive Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in May 2015.

Interview

A few days after submitting my application online I was contacted by HR to go through the role, once they knew I understood the background to the company and role, they put me forward for interview.

My interview was confirmed within a few hours and was held after a few days after. The interviewees were really friendly and made me feel at ease straight away. They gave further insight into the company and role, set me a practical task, then asked me a mixture of competency and value based questions.

Once I passed the first interview, a second interview was then organised which was a call with one of the company directors to discus their company values and how I would fit in these. The director was really polite and interested, once again making feel at ease with what can often be a stressful process.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you have been humble (value based question)   Answer Question

Customer Operations Graduate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

Applied online, went through the online process (including online tests and job-/sector-specific questions). And then one Friday, I'm called up by a very lovely member of the AutoTrader team at Manchester and invited to an assessment centre the following week.
    My initial fear and dread at the thought of an assessment centre was instantly dissolved upon meeting the staff at the Manchester office. Everyone took part in the first activity (ice-breaker), so we were able to get to know fellow candidates and some of the AutoTrader team. Then I gave a pre-prepared presentation and had an interview with two lovely employees in a very relaxed setting. Then I did the role-play with another member of staff (also lovely, and not as scary as it sounds!) and was given a tour around their amazing Manchester office. Finally a beautiful spread for lunch and a group task with fellow candidates!
    Overall, a great day, fantastic people, insanely good office, and delicious food! (There were also sweeties on the table throughout if you needed a bit of sugar!) It was a fabulous experience and I'm very grateful for everyone there for making it so relaxed, and fun!

Good luck if you've applied and I can guarantee that you'll have a great time at the assessment centre! :)

Interview Questions

• Standard competency-based questions, the team were really keen for you to demonstrate your strengths and achievements!   1 Answer

Apr 2, 2015 – Head of Resourcing

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent assessment. We have taken a lot of care in preparing the day so everyone involved is pleased you enjoyed the day so much.

Graduate Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in March 2015.

Interview

The whole process started with submitting a CV along with answers to two questions about values etc, like a very small essay. There might have been a short non-technical phone interview at this stage, but to be honest it was so long ago I can't remember. After this stage, I did some online aptitude tests (standard trio of numerical reasoning, verbal reasoning and non-verbal reasoning). Then later I was invited to attend an assessment day at their Manchester office, and given a small homework task to prepare for the day. This was a full day with about 8-9 other candidates, involving various tasks and activities. Starting with a small fun task for everyone to get to know each other, there were then things like a pair programming activity with a member of their staff, a 45min-ish interview by two of the Auto Trader staff, a tour of the offices, a presentation of the homework tasks we'd done and a larger team activity involving decision making and negotiation etc. In all of the tasks someone was scoring you, and then after the day scores were compared and numbers crunched. If you passed this stage, you were invited to the final stage: a shorter interview with another member of staff (a non-technical interview, more of a chat about where you fit in with the company values etc). I was invited to this final interview however had already accepted a job somewhere else so declined.
     The assessment day was tiring, but very good. Everyone was incredibly friendly and all the staff seemed very happy to work there. And there was a steady stream of tasty food!

Interview Questions

• Of all the things on your CV, what are you proudest of and why?   Answer Question

Contractor Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK.

Interview

Straight forward process which lasted about an hour, initially they explained the role in more detail and gave some context to the team structure, then I was asked to talk through my CV picking out relevant experience, then moved on to competency based questions. Speedy feedback via recruitment agent and the people seemed friendly.

Accounts Payable Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in November 2014.

Interview

1st Interview was competency based with 2 lines managers lasting around 1 hour. 2nd interview was to present a 9 month plan to the line managers plus another employee for around 20 minutes plus a questions and answers session. And 3rd interview was a telephone interview with an OLT member

Customer Service Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, England (UK)

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Auto Trader UK (Manchester, England (UK)) in June 2014.

Interview

came down to a group interview, dd exercises as a group a 1-2-1 interview and an interview with the director. (turns out this was so they could put me in a different job than I originally applied due to skill set and value belief, ended up going straight into trade service rather than private)