Autodesk User Experience Designer Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Autodesk User Experience Designer Interview Questions

Interviews at Autodesk

2.9

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Autodesk (San Francisco, CA) in October 2013.

Interview

2.5 weeks from submitting application online to the initial phone screen with an internal recruiter (pretty typical questions: why Autodesk, compensation range, availability).

Several days later I had a phone interview with a manager, during which we talked about my background, my portfolio, and the team & role. We set up on-site interviews for the same week. I received a UX task to complete beforehand.

On-site interviews: I met with 6 members of the team (UX manager, designers, product managers, director). I discussed my solution to the UX task, walked through a couple of projects in my portfolio, and talked about how familiar I was with the Agile development process, how I generally work with a team, how I resolved conflicts, what tech skills/knowledge I had, what I do to keep my design skills fresh, etc. Everyone was very friendly and seemed like they enjoyed being there. The office typically empties out by 5:30-6pm.

I got a verbal offer over the phone a week later and started the background check (4 weeks after I applied online). They sent over the written offer 2 days later.

Interview Questions

• Redesign a particular feature. I was given business & user requirements, a few things they'd looked at as part of a competitive analysis, and asked to deliver wireframes. Time limit was about 90 minutes. Not unexpected, but it was the shortest time limit I've had on a design task.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The offer was above the range I asked for, so I didn't negotiate.

Other Interview Reviews for Autodesk

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Autodesk (San Francisco, CA).

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter via LinkedIn and we connected with a quick phone screen. Once she determined I was qualified she scheduled an hour long phone interview with the hiring manager which led to a follow up with that person's manager.

The next step was a day long on site interview where I met with almost 20 people. Most of the interviews were an hour long and comprised of two employees asking me questions. There were a couple of phone interviews as well. The day concluded with a group presentation of my work to all the people I interviewed with and then some.

Several people I met had lofty titles but could not explicitly tell me what they did on a day to day basis. I met very few people who were hands on.

Interview Questions

• Does this job scare you?   Answer Question
    • How would you handle a product that hasn't been well received by the community but won't be updated for quite a while?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Autodesk (San Francisco, CA) in October 2012.

Interview

I applied for this position through Autodesk career website directly. About two weeks later, Autodesk HR contacted me by e-mail. And we had the initial phone interview. She just asked me very basic questions, why Autodesk, compensation range and visa status.

A few days later, the recruiter set up the 1on1 on-site meeting with the hiring manager instead of phone interview. It went well, the hiring manager was really friendly. We discussed about my background, portfolio and about the position details. At the end of the interview, she told me she is going to bring me to the team on-site interview.

Two weeks later after the last meeting, I went their office again and meet four people in person. It was normal 1on1 interviews, and pretty much the same as hiring manager's interview.

Further two weeks later, hiring manager requested me by e-mail to try some UX design task to make sure how I'm going to deal with UX design problem. And I proposed her my design idea in person. At the end of the interview, she told me she really likes my way of thinking, so the team wants to give me an offer.

And then one week later, recruiter contacted and sent me the official letter! Entire process was really appropriate and solid. My impression was pretty positive for this company.

Interview Questions

• Please tell me the most difficult situation ever you had in the process of design. And how did you deal with that?   Answer Question

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. They really treat the employees well.

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Autodesk in December 2014.

Interview

Had 2 rounds of interview: one with the manager and one with senior designer. Both had portfolio walkthrough and few situation questions. They wanted to know about my design process and how I think while dealing with a problem.

Interview Questions

• If given a design problem, how will you go about solving it?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Manchester, NH

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Autodesk (Manchester, NH).

Interview

I interviewed with cross functional team members for the product I was being hired to support and then met 1:1 with those who would be direct colleagues and managers. The interview lasted about 3 or 4 hours. There was then a followup interview at the Waltham office where other members of the User Experience team were located.

Interview Questions

• I was asked to design an interface for an employee vacation scheduler which solved a particular problem. I was asked to talk generally about my design approach and experience especially my user research background.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at Autodesk (San Francisco, CA) in August 2016.

Interview

I saw the position open on LinkedIn and cold-emailed a design recruiter a cover letter, portfolio, and resume. The recruiter turned out to be the recruiter for that specific position, and she gave me a call the next day.

After an initial phone screen with her, I had a 1hr phone call with the hiring manager. After that we scheduled an onsite for a few weeks later. The onsite was around 4-5 hours long with a break scheduled in between; I had a portfolio presentation to 5 people on the team, then several 30-minute 1:1s with a combination of UX, visual, and researchers. One of the sessions was a whiteboarding exercise in which I had around 30 minutes to work through a design challenge. The final 1:1 was a wrap up with the hiring manager to answer any final questions, and we ended up going 30 minutes over the end time- he was super patient and answered all of my questions about the company.

Interview Questions

• How would you handle a situation in which you're presenting a design to stakeholders but are getting a lot of negative feedback and pushback on your solution?   Answer Question

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Autodesk in February 2017.

Interview

Entire process was relatively quick. Applied online and received an email for the position about scheduling an interview a few weeks after applying. Scheduled interview and had the interview (30 mins) where they just asked about general information and portfolio. Received result within 2 weeks.

User Experience Design Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a week. I interviewed at Autodesk in January 2015.

Interview

Got contacted by one of the design managers, had a pretty standard interview. The manager is a very nice person and the overall experience is good. Unfortunately they only accept students studying in US so I was not qualified :(

User Experience Designer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Autodesk.

Interview

I applied through my university's program. Got 1 round cv screening and 1 round on site interview with a small case study with the hiring manager. I guess I skipped the HR round because it was a campus program.

Interview Questions

• Not really.. have a on site design case study though.   1 Answer