Avaaz Foundation Campaign Director Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avaaz Foundation Campaign Director Interview Questions

4.2

4 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Perplexing -- AVAAZ has a small team and no time for niceties of normal NGOs. I filled out a template form to answer interview questions. (Pretty good questions, really.) I was sent a link to sign up for an hour interview with a senior campaigner. Two minutes before, I got a skype contact request.

The interview itself didn't go well. I was hunting for a senior management position, and it didn't really sink in until half-way through that as a "director" I would be implementing campaigns under a "manager". So the first two or three questions were all about my work style -- and what I expected from a manager. Turns out, the boss helicopters in on your campaign work and can change it or even reassign you to another campaign without explanation.

I had prepared for the interview on my subject areas, which did well in the 2014 Poll. "We prefer people who don't know a particular geography or technical theme but are all-rounder campaigners who can just jump in and show creativity on any subject."

AVAAZ' interview style, which was stated up-front, was to be rather rude and cut me off. "Well, let me tell you two reasons why I think you aren't a good fit for AVAAZ and would be unhappy here."

Conclusion -- This is indicative of a corporate culture in which rudeness is seen as decisiveness, and to be "nimble" means that you put up with arbitrary decisions about your work without protest.

Interview Questions

• "Why don't you go away and think about it some more if you really think this would work, before contacting us again? OK?"   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Avaaz Foundation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online. The application involved a long list of screening questions. Once I submitted the application, I asked an acquaintance on the inside to help move the application along. I was contacted via email by a staffer and we scheduled an initial interview. I was interviewed via Skype by a Campaigner. The interview went well. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary - about my experience, skills, working style. She then scheduled a second interview with someone higher up the ladder, a Campaign Director (I believe). That interview started amicably. But very quickly went downhill. Five minutes in, the interviewer asked me to detail on the spot a strategy to combat corruption in an African nation. He said to take a minute or two to write down my thoughts. As I explained my ideas, the interviewer cut me off - in what I interpreted to be a very rude manner. He said, "Stop. You are not a good fit." and gave me a couple of reasons why. I was taken aback. This is my first experience in my 20-year professional career in which an interview ends in such a rude tone. I understand now that Avaaz has no time for the niceties but If this is indicative of Avaaz' institutional culture -where rudeness is mistaken for decisiveness and nimbleness- maybe the rejection was a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions

• Detail a strategy for a campaign to combat corruption in an African nation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by the previous holder of the position, seeking leads on potential candidates, and then asking if I was interested. I did an in-person interview with that person for several hours, then did some written test exercises, then met by phone with the person who would become my primary subordinate and then met with the Executive Director for an hour. My resume and references were thoroughly checked. I had known the previous holder of the position for several years and had collaborated on joint projects between Avaaz and my previous organization.

Interview Questions

• "What is some feedback you have received which was hard to hear, but valuable for you"? This was not the usual "tell me about a mistake you made" interview question, but instead went much deeper, to the experience of interacting with others around the mistake.   Answer Question

Campaign Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

Long process but very respectful and sharp questions, requiring also sharp answers. Very good feedback provided during the interview and afterwards. After interview, if selected, you are asked to present a written exercise on a specific case/campaign. They are truly interested in getting to know if you would fit into the organisation's culture and not necessarily in your previous positions. Very important that candidates show flexibility to adjust to the organisation's profile.

Interview Questions

• how react to feedback
      what would you do to impede that a dictator runs fake elections in a middle-sized African country   Answer Question