Avaaz Foundation Campaigner Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Avaaz Foundation Campaigner Interview Questions

3.5

7 Candidate Interview ReviewsBack to all Interviews

Campaign Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

Short Skype one on one interviews + written assignments. It seemed rather unfriendly. They came off as quite fearful and combative on their side, like they were trying to prevent certain kinds of people from joining the organization. They repeatedly stated (in both interviews) that Avaaz is very hierarchical and asked if I would be alright in such an environment. I found it strange because most organizations/companies wouldn't be proud of this. I lost interest in the middle of the process. By the end, I had the sense that this was a pretty harsh and cold work environment.

Interview Questions

• What is your trigger? Avaaz is hierarchical. Are you okay working with a hierarchical organization?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Avaaz Foundation

Campaigner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation in February 2016.

Interview

The initial interview was an hour-long Skype interview. A lot of the questions revolved around how I like to be managed. The interviewer emphasized Avaaz's culture and asked questions to see if I would fit into Avaaz's culture. What I liked about the interview process is that the interviewer would give me feedback after each question. The interviewer told me which question I answered well and how I could improve on the answer. Overall, it was a pleasant experience--I felt that the interviewer was supportive.
    The second part of the interview process was to write an Avaaz email for a hypothetical campaign. I had 24 hours to draft the email and explain the answers I gave.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical Scenario: There is a African leader who is planning on rigging the election. Give several ideas on how you would plan a campaign to expose the plan.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Remote, OR

Application

I applied online. The process took 11+ months. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (Remote, OR) in February 2016.

Interview

I applied to a position about a year ago, a rep reached out a few months after letting me know he would reach out for an interview.
    I applied for a second position, I was interviewed for that one. The interview was a lot of questions about how I liked to be managed asked in several different ways. Kind of annoying actually.

Interview Questions

• How do you like to be managed? What makes a good manager?   Answer Question

Campaigner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation in July 2015.

Interview

With the invitation for the first (Skype) interview they sent a clear overview of the whole process, explaining how they try their best to be as thorough as possible by letting you talk to people through out the whole organisation. After every step they will inform you whether they want to go any further.

Interview Questions

• Come up with a range of campaigning ideas for a hypothetical case, in 60 second.   Answer Question

Campaigner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

Very long interview process - long application, several months to be contacted, then up to 5 interviews - ultimately with the Executive Director. Interview is for Skype with an assistant first, then with someone higher up, and then even higher up, and then...

Interview Questions

• Be ready to brainstorm solutions to a social problem they pose - be wild and creative.   Answer Question

Application

Interview

I applied (extensive questionnaire) and moved on to a test. I then did two interviews. They were very odd and felt manipulative. In the middle of one they said "I was going to ask you some questions about emotions but I feel that you've been very closed off and not in touch with your emotions." (Then they asked the crying at a staff retreat question that other reviewers have mentioned.)

Look, I care about workplace culture and fit and don't mind questions about cultural fit, but it is incredibly manipulative to play a trick (likely they ask that of all applicants regardless of how they show up) and force you to emotional openness when you don't even have the job yet. I was really uncomfortable by how disrespectful two white middle-class senior staff were in regards to manipulative questions about emotions. In the end, they rejected me, saying I was very strategic (read: overqualified for the junior position) but needed to work on my self-management. To make such a sweeping assessment after meeting me briefly in an interview rather than making an assessment after working with me is just poor hiring practices and is disrespectful to the applicant.

They invited me to apply again in a year and I decided against it because they came off as very cultlike and suppressive of dissent and protective of the CEO who has been there for years. They don't want anyone who will shake things up.

I am now in a senior position at another digital first organization that has a much better culture than Avaaz and grateful I got to know how they will force you to share more about your emotions than you are comfortable with and then use it against you. I would really advise Avaaz to stop playing tricks in interviews and stop giving sweeping unsolicited feedback. It doesn't actually get you better applicants, but Avaaz isn't actually interested in getting the most qualified applicants, they want to make sure they don't hire anyone who will question authority and shake things up. I'm all for hierarchy when it's used well, but their questions are more about sussing out your loyalty to them rather than your qualifications.

Interview Questions

• How do you like to be managed? What's your best experience with a manager and your worst?   Answer Question
    • We tell personal stories sometimes at staff retreats. If another staff member were to cry during this, what would you do?   Answer Question

Avaaz Foundation Response

Apr 16, 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

First, I want to thank you for your feedback for our team. It's a really valuable reminder of how folks can feel on the other side of an interview. I'm sorry it felt manipulative to you, that's... More

Campaigner Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in London, England (UK)

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (London, England (UK)).

Interview

Really detailed interview task which demanded a full weekend's worth of research and planning. Interesting task which I enjoyed, however, after a weird Skype interview with someone in the company, they disappeared off the face of the earth and gave no feedback. I accept that very often you don't get feedback at the CV stage, but when you've asked someone to complete an extensive task for you it is incredibly rude not to give feedback. I don't normally have such strongly negative feelings after an interview process, but this was terrible. I had been really excited about the prospect of working for them, but after this series of interactions (or non-interactions), I have a very low estimation of them. Interviews can be a chance to build advocates for your company, even among those you don't hire. This was a terrible experience.

Interview Questions

Avaaz Foundation Response

Jun 19, 2018 – Chief Operating Officer

Thank you for posting this -- we absolutely agree that giving candidates feedback after they have dedicated time to an interview and written exercise is important and respectful. Our policy is to... More