Avaaz Foundation Interview Questions | Glassdoor

Updated Oct 26, 2017

3.6

Operations Interview

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (Boston, MA) in September 2015.

Interview

So destructive that it has taken me over a year to write about it, not just because of the emotional impact, but also the practical effects on my life. In summary: I applied for 2 positions. The first, I was told would have been mine had they decided to actually hire for it (they called after 2 or 3 interviews to tell me the role had been "de-prioritized", but that I was their #1 choice). For the second role, I had several more interviews. During the final interview, the interviewer (the ED), told me that she didn't see how I was qualified for the role. I attempted to counter that by explaining why I thought I was (really I was just bewildered by the statement seeing as I had just undergone several interviews and exercises, and didn't understand why I would have reached this point if I wasn't qualified). They ended up making an offer anyway quite quickly as I had very recently accepted a different offer and explained to them that since I was going to have to rescind my acceptance of offer A, I needed to do it ASAP. I am also a part-time student, which is listed at the top of my resume. I worked for them for 5 days during which time my school schedule became an issue (A total of 5 hours of class time per week. Bear in mind that Avaaz is a virtual organization. I was working remotely. It was very clear that many Avaaz employees did not keep traditional hours. It also says in their handbook that alternative schedules are approved by line managers. My line manager knew about my classes and said it was ok.). They asked that I drop a class in order to make my schedule more amenable to their needs which I succeeded in doing regardless of the add/drop deadline already having passed. Then, they fired me, claiming that I had failed to practice what they call "radical honesty". Needless to say, I was unable to get the first offer back and was thrown into a high pressure job search. This is the most egregious part of the experience. It was also just generally fraught with inadequate internal communication. I should have heeded that as a warning sign during the first round and stayed away, but the prospect of what I thought would be fulfilling work drew me in.

Campaigner Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3+ months. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

Very long interview process - long application, several months to be contacted, then up to 5 interviews - ultimately with the Executive Director. Interview is for Skype with an assistant first, then with someone higher up, and then even higher up, and then...

Interview Questions

• Be ready to brainstorm solutions to a social problem they pose - be wild and creative.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY).

Interview

I was contacted by the previous holder of the position, seeking leads on potential candidates, and then asking if I was interested. I did an in-person interview with that person for several hours, then did some written test exercises, then met by phone with the person who would become my primary subordinate and then met with the Executive Director for an hour. My resume and references were thoroughly checked. I had known the previous holder of the position for several years and had collaborated on joint projects between Avaaz and my previous organization.

Interview Questions

• "What is some feedback you have received which was hard to hear, but valuable for you"? This was not the usual "tell me about a mistake you made" interview question, but instead went much deeper, to the experience of interacting with others around the mistake.   Answer Question

Operations Officer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in January 2017.

Interview

Non traditional interview process combines Skype initial interview. Then if chosen to proceed applicants are asked to do a mock work session. Then additional Skype interviews with various Executives. This process seems to work for them but it is cumbersome for most applicants. The interview felt forced in that they expect you to give the perfect, exact answers they are looking for by pushing you through- but then those answers are used against you during the feedback portion. I knew within 15 mins of the start of the interview that I did not want to work for the organization and would not have accepted the next step of the process had it been offered.

Interview Questions

• Sometimes at company retreats we ask employees to tell personal stories and these stories can sometimes be emotional. How would you feel if one of your coworkers began to cry during the retreat session?   1 Answer
    • You planned the company retreat in Greece and filed for all appropriate visas, but a team member has been delayed at the airport- what do you do?   1 Answer

Member Engagement Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in September 2016.

Interview

The process took about a month with one Skype interview and then a written exercise. There would have been additional interviews however I was not chosen to proceed after my written submission.

Senior Designer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

Applied online, was contacted shortly saying that they were interested and would like to move forward by sending me a design task. I sent it back after a couple of days and never heard back – even after following up. Actually I did, many moths after saying that they had paused this position or something on those lines.

Total lack of respect with my time, my work and my interest in joining their awesome mission.

Interview Questions

• Redesign or optimize the petition page and design a compelling campaign image.   Answer Question

Campaigner Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation in February 2016.

Interview

The initial interview was an hour-long Skype interview. A lot of the questions revolved around how I like to be managed. The interviewer emphasized Avaaz's culture and asked questions to see if I would fit into Avaaz's culture. What I liked about the interview process is that the interviewer would give me feedback after each question. The interviewer told me which question I answered well and how I could improve on the answer. Overall, it was a pleasant experience--I felt that the interviewer was supportive.
    The second part of the interview process was to write an Avaaz email for a hypothetical campaign. I had 24 hours to draft the email and explain the answers I gave.

Interview Questions

• Hypothetical Scenario: There is a African leader who is planning on rigging the election. Give several ideas on how you would plan a campaign to expose the plan.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in June 2014.

Interview

I applied online. The application involved a long list of screening questions. Once I submitted the application, I asked an acquaintance on the inside to help move the application along. I was contacted via email by a staffer and we scheduled an initial interview. I was interviewed via Skype by a Campaigner. The interview went well. The questions were nothing out of the ordinary - about my experience, skills, working style. She then scheduled a second interview with someone higher up the ladder, a Campaign Director (I believe). That interview started amicably. But very quickly went downhill. Five minutes in, the interviewer asked me to detail on the spot a strategy to combat corruption in an African nation. He said to take a minute or two to write down my thoughts. As I explained my ideas, the interviewer cut me off - in what I interpreted to be a very rude manner. He said, "Stop. You are not a good fit." and gave me a couple of reasons why. I was taken aback. This is my first experience in my 20-year professional career in which an interview ends in such a rude tone. I understand now that Avaaz has no time for the niceties but If this is indicative of Avaaz' institutional culture -where rudeness is mistaken for decisiveness and nimbleness- maybe the rejection was a blessing in disguise.

Interview Questions

• Detail a strategy for a campaign to combat corruption in an African nation.   Answer Question

Campaign Director Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation.

Interview

Long process but very respectful and sharp questions, requiring also sharp answers. Very good feedback provided during the interview and afterwards. After interview, if selected, you are asked to present a written exercise on a specific case/campaign. They are truly interested in getting to know if you would fit into the organisation's culture and not necessarily in your previous positions. Very important that candidates show flexibility to adjust to the organisation's profile.

Interview Questions

• how react to feedback
      what would you do to impede that a dictator runs fake elections in a middle-sized African country   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Avaaz Foundation (New York, NY) in October 2014.

Interview

Perplexing -- AVAAZ has a small team and no time for niceties of normal NGOs. I filled out a template form to answer interview questions. (Pretty good questions, really.) I was sent a link to sign up for an hour interview with a senior campaigner. Two minutes before, I got a skype contact request.

The interview itself didn't go well. I was hunting for a senior management position, and it didn't really sink in until half-way through that as a "director" I would be implementing campaigns under a "manager". So the first two or three questions were all about my work style -- and what I expected from a manager. Turns out, the boss helicopters in on your campaign work and can change it or even reassign you to another campaign without explanation.

I had prepared for the interview on my subject areas, which did well in the 2014 Poll. "We prefer people who don't know a particular geography or technical theme but are all-rounder campaigners who can just jump in and show creativity on any subject."

AVAAZ' interview style, which was stated up-front, was to be rather rude and cut me off. "Well, let me tell you two reasons why I think you aren't a good fit for AVAAZ and would be unhappy here."

Conclusion -- This is indicative of a corporate culture in which rudeness is seen as decisiveness, and to be "nimble" means that you put up with arbitrary decisions about your work without protest.

Interview Questions

• "Why don't you go away and think about it some more if you really think this would work, before contacting us again? OK?"   1 Answer